PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Battle, who makes it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strictly speaking, they haven't gotten rid of it. What's changed is that instead of requiring teams to use it when the player goes on IR, they can wait until they want to start that player's three-week practice window. Unfortunately, the DTR rule is limited not to two players but to two windows.
Yes, technically you designate you just dont have to do it before you IR. Its a good change.

He's "counted as a WR" only because the NFL doesn't allow teams to list players as "ST."

OK, so we should list Slater as a safety along with the rest of the STO players.

If you haven't a clue what to expect from Patterson, you might consider his reception stats in the NFL, and consider whether it would be valuable to start drives with kicks through the end zone. I'd accept even 1/3 his past number of receptions for our #4WR/KR role.

The Patterson questions seems to be dependent on his impact as a kickoff returner. We don't know what the impact of the new rule will be. It may be that kickers are directed to just boot it out of the end zone as often as possible, making the kickoff return even rarer, and thus reducing his value. Or, that may not happen, and his skills may be a wonderful weapon to have, adding a few yards to that average field position, and perhaps some points. I haven't a clue what to expect until the third or fourth exhibition game.

This is the big role of the dice this year. The board overall has been fairly glass half full on this issue.

This board has a tendency to go full Pollyanna almost every offseason, and that is often led by the same small handful of posters who always seem to think that every position of weakness will have been solved, almost every prospect will become great in some role, and no free agency signing or trade will crap out.

The reality that the odds tell us it will almost always be a mixed bag rarely gets through to them, and it stays with them even more rarely.

Malcolm Brown wont make t.

If you haven't a clue what to expect from Patterson, you might consider his reception stats in the NFL, and consider whether it would be valuable to start drives with kicks through the end zone. I'd accept even 1/3 his past number of receptions for our #4WR/KR role.

What I meant to convey was that I haven't a clue what to expect in terms of how the teams will address kickoffs, given the rule change, and I don't think that will even begin to emerge until late in the exhibition season, at the earliest. That seems to then cascade into Patterson's value.

A common theme in what's being written/spoken about him is that he hasn't shown the mental acuity necessary to handle the Pats offense and Brady's expectations about real time route running decisions. May or may not be true. If true, his prior receptions may not be as valuable as we'd like.

I believe this.

I don't expect Patterson to produce as he did for other teams. I said 1/3 as many as previously, 1 catch per game. But, as you say, we'll see.

A common theme in what's being written/spoken about him is that he hasn't shown the mental acuity necessary to handle the Pats offense and Brady's expectations about real time route running decisions. May or may not be true. If true, his prior receptions may not be as valuable as we'd like.

I believe this.

I don't expect Patterson to produce as he did for other teams. I said 1/3 as many as previously, 1 catch per game. But, as you say, we'll see.

I have trouble seeing the Pats paying him $3M a year for one catch a game plus kickoffs, especially when they're paying Nate Ebner and Matt Slater less than that to do a lot more on STs.

Patterson does not run routes well and isn't very good at running option routes. That means he is on the field as a gadget guy, the problem with gadget guys is that they cannot run the regular offense and thus tip the plays. He isn't going to make the team.

I am also starting to get the feeling that a player I love and think could have been a great player for the Patriots will not be on the team. Mitchell should not have to be managing his reps at this point, yet that is exactly what is happening. I would not be shocked if Mitchell does not make the team due to injury.

That gives us:
Edelman
Hogan
Mathews
Dorsett

And one spot for somebody to steal.

The key is being able to be a backup at a position.

If Ebner were able to be the #4 S, he'd get a lot more.
If Slater was capable of 1 catch a game and being the #4WR, he'd be paid more.

I have trouble seeing the Pats paying him $3M a year for one catch a game plus kickoffs, especially when they're paying Nate Ebner and Matt Slater less than that to do a lot more on STs.

The key is being able to be a backup at a position.

If Ebner were able to be the #4 S, he'd get a lot more.
If Slater was capable of 1 catch a game and being the #4WR, he'd be paid more.

Its more than 1 catch a game. It is the ability to run the correct route X number of times a game. Running the wrong route or running the route incorrectly can affect much more than just the one player, it again affect the entire offense.

Why? If I "counted him as a safety and kick returner it would be equally correct.It just confuses the issue of how many actual receivers to keep. Slater is not being counted on to play WR period.

It doesn't confuse the issue of how many WR's to keep. It removes one WR slot from the WR group. If the Patriots want to designate him as a ST'er along with Gostkowski, Cardona, and Allen...fine by me...that just means we can only keep 5 WR's.

Same difference. Still 3 spots up for grabs after Edelman and Hogan.

He's "counted as a WR" only because the NFL doesn't allow teams to list players as "ST."

Correct....until further notice...he is a gunner masquerading as a WR. And we still WILL NOT KEEP 6 actual WR's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back