PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Battle, who makes it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott99

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
This is a very deep and very varied group of receivers we have going into OTAs and training camp. I think there will be 4 receivers battling for the final 2 spots. I think those 4 will be

Britt
Dorsett
Matthews
Patterson

I think the definites will be

Edelman
Hogan
Mitchell (if healthy)
Slater

I think these guys are on the outside looking in

Hollister
McCarron
Berrios

My guess will be that they will carry 6, and those 6 will be

Edelman
Hogan
Mitchell
Slater
Matthews
Patterson

Though that’s why we have training camp, one of those guys could under achieve and someone could over achieve, and therefore my list goes out the window.

This is the most interesting battle this year.

I thought Dorsett had a quiet yet effective season. He did the little things extremely well. His speed forced the D to account for him and was one of the best blockers we had last year.

I've watched a few Oakland games and Patterson isn't that good. Better athlete than player. Poor blocker and didn't really get open. His st contributions will be minimal since kickoff returns seem to be a thing of the past and we have gunners covered in Slater and J. Jones. He is obviously good in the open field but do we need a gadget player who might struggle to learn the playbook?

I like Dorsett more than most and I dislike Patterson more than most. Can't wait to see how it shakes out.

To me their only locks are Edelman, Hogan, Matthews and Slater.

I have no idea why everyone is sleeping on Matthews. That was a sneaky good signing. I think he will have his usual 800-900 yard season here.

As far as everyone else we will just have to see. I still have hope for Mitchell but he may just be unable to stay healthy.

Britt is interesting too but it may be a smarter move to try to get younger at WR. To me this gives a guy like Berrios a legit shot but likely he's a practice squad guy.

Last edited:

Edelman
Hogan
Mitchell
Slater
Matthews
Patterson
I pretty much agree but I wouldn't put Slater as a "WR". I think he's in his own category as a special teams player. A lot could change during training camp as I don't trust Mitchell (and I really like Mitchell). If he gets injured again, he's done (at least with the Pats). Someone else will take his job.

I have no idea why eveyever is sleeping on Matthews. That was a sneaky good signing. I think he will have his usual 800-900 yard season here.
I agree. He's had some success in the preseason against the Pats and during the regular season. I think he'll have that 800-900 yard season if Hogan/Edelman misses time. I think he can beat out Mitchell. If everyone stays relatively healthy he's good for 500-600 yards and 5 TD's. He and Jeremy Hill are my sleepers.

This works for me. However, I don't expect all of these to be healthy at the end of camp. To me, the next battle will be to fill the spot vacated b the injured player: Dorsett, Britt or Berrios

Edelman
Hogan
Mitchell
Slater
Matthews
Patterson

Though that’s why we have training camp, one of those guys could under achieve and someone could over achieve, and therefore my list goes out the window.

I concur with the group in the OP but I see Mitchell and Matthews both as vulnerable. There is no universe in which a 4th round pick who just missed an entire season (and put up just modest numbers the one year he played) is a lock. I get it...Mitchell is a very likeable guy and he made big plays on a highly visible stage.

He probably does make this team, but that's because I think he's going to earn it. But he really is fighting for his spot just like everyone not named Edelman/Hogan.

I have no idea why eveyever is sleeping on Matthews.

• There is no guarantee that a WR who's been good elsewhere will get the Patriots system.
  • His contract doesn't make it costly to cut him if he doesn't.

Edelman, Hogan, Mitchell, Matthews, Berrios, Slater are my picks.

I think these guys are on the outside looking in

Hollister
McCarron
Berrios

Don't overlook Berrios's contributions on STs. Edelman's ST play earned him a roster spot in 2009, and Austin Carr's lack of ST play helped cost him one in 2017.

Don't overlook Berrios's contributions on STs. Edelman's ST play earned him a roster spot in 2009, and Austin Carr's lack of ST play helped cost him one in 2017.
It's just hard for Berrios to beat out Britt and Dorsett and Patterson.

I'm not saying that he can't make. IMO, his best scenario is a Mitchell injury and the top 3 looking good: Edelman, Hogan and Matthews. As we know the #4 and #5 receiver don't even catch a TOTAL of one pass per game. Under this scenario, Patterson and Berrios could make the team as returners and emergency receivers.

It's just hard for Berrios to beat out Britt and Dorsett and Patterson.

I'm not saying that he can't make. IMO, his best scenario is a Mitchell injury and the top 3 looking good: Edelman, Hogan and Matthews. As we know the #4 and #5 receiver don't even catch a TOTAL of one pass per game. Under this scenario, Patterson and Berrios could make the team as returners and emergency receivers.

Again, at this point, Matthews is a question mark. He could be another Brandin Cooks or another Joey Galloway. My point is that Berrios—Patterson, too, for that matter—has a key way to contribute that most of the other WRs don't.

If we could figure this out, we could simply skip Training Camp.
As always an injury will hobble one of the likeliest contendahs and somebody sneaks onto the 53 who will be a binkie of mine, getting me excited and then go on to contribute little if anything to the quest. Rinse & repeat each season.

Edelman is likely as close to a lock as a player not named "Brady" can get.

Slater is NOT actually a WR, so he doesn't ever enter into my WR calculations. He's a premier ST gunner and is about as close to a lock as one can get for that reason - regardless what may or may not happen WRT actual WRs.

Anyway, everybody besides Edelman is working to earn one of the four or five other WR roster spots on the final 53. Yes, including Hogan.

WRT Patterson, the proposed (not yet ratified) rule changes for kickoffs seem likely to make it easier for him to gain significant yardage on KRs. Same goes for the kick returners on opposing teams.

Also "gunner" isn't the only important role in return coverage units. There are 10 players on each coverage unit (besides the kicker/punter), and each of them has a specific assignment to help defeat a return.

It's just hard for Barrios to beat out Britt and Dorsett and Patterson.

Hard for you but not for BB if Barrios connects with Brady early on he will be on the roster. He has a Slot receivers resume...the likelihood of those guys making here over a one trip pony like Dorsett is very good bet the house.

This is the most interesting battle this year.

I thought Dorsett had a quiet yet effective season. He did the little things extremely well. His speed forced the D to account for him and was one of the best blockers we had last year.

I've watched a few Oakland games and Patterson isn't that good. Better athlete than player. Poor blocker and didn't really get open. His st contributions will be minimal since kickoff returns seem to be a thing of the past and we have gunners covered in Slater and J. Jones. He is obviously good in the open field but do we need a gadget player who might struggle to learn the playbook?

I like Dorsett more than most and I dislike Patterson more than most. Can't wait to see how it shakes out.

Dorsett needs to reach his ceiling though: which is somewhere between Coooks and Hogan. If he doesn't have a Light out! TC its see ya later. Dorset's Route tree seems so limited Defenders jumps his routes. That said Cooks though he struggled some is just leaps and bounds ahead of Dorsett as a WR.

I think Matthews will do really well here. He produced well before last year.

My depth chart, in order of preference, and if everybody remains healthy and performs to their fullest capabilities:

Edelman
Hogan
- - - - - - -
Dorsett
Patterson
(Assets were expended to acquire these 2, so I expect something in return)
- - - - - - -
Britt (Most talented, but also most underachieving)
Matthews (Coming off major injury, and wasn't real quick to begin with)
- - - - - - -
Mitchell (We all know his story)
McCarron (More explosive, longer arms than the next guy)
Berrios (See above)
Hollister (Tackling Dummy)

I refuse to list Slater as a WR; to do so would be an insult to the Real WRs.

I have no idea why eveyever is sleeping on Matthews. That was a sneaky good signing. I think he will have his usual 800-900 yard season here.

As far as everyone else we will just have to see. I still have hope for Mitchell but he may just be unable to stay healthy.

Britt is intrrintere too but it may be a smarter move to try to get younger at WR. To me this gives a guy like Berrios a legit shot but likely he's a practice squad guy.
I agree on Matthews, was gonna put him on my list of locks. But coming off an injury, and learning a new (tough to learn) offense, I didn’t make him a lock, but you notice I do have him being a winner of the battle at WR. Before last year, he was averaging 75 catches and 800+ yards his previous 3 seasons in Philly. He can also play the slot. IF he can learn the system and gain Brady’s trust, he might repeat his numbers from Philly. ALWAYS liked Jordan Matthews, way back to his college days.

Now playing Devil’s Advocate, IF Matthews doesn’t make it, he’s an easy cut with a 1 year contract at minimal money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News