PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Battle, who makes it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[
Where is the speed in this group? Who is a downfield target that can open up the intermediate zones?

Is exceptional straight line speed normally something that is found in the WR room in Foxborough? It seems that in most years, a much heavier focus is placed on shifty moves off the line, route running, timing, pre-snap shifts and audibles meant to take advantage of mismatches, and having good chemistry with Brady.

That said, Dorsett has some speed. Maybe he can take over some of the responsibilities that Cooks had...
That's what I'm hoping for too. I'm not yet ready to write off Dorsett as a sunk cost, especially when that cost is Jacoby Brissett, whom I would rather have as QB2 instead of Hoyer.

I gotcha, I just think that the situation becomes muddled once we get past WR1 and WR2, that’s all. In other words, I’m not sure how we can reasonably place the others in any order...
My order was based mostly on seniority, with a little Assets Used To Acquire Him thrown in. Otherwise, yeah we could place Dorsett, Patterson, Britt & Matthews all in a hat at this point.

Whoever wins the spot I trust he will be the best BB's choice. I do not care if his name is Patterson, Matthews, Dorsett or Britt. We are lucky as a team there is a set of competitive WRs. Privately I am not attached to the names and the only name I prefer is the Patriots ( of course in that aspect of discussion ).

I agree with all of this.

However, Mitchell is a risk. I suppose that it is fine for him to make the roster since we are fine without him, and can easily be fine if he is injured. After all the #3 and #4 WR's TOTAL about 2 catches a game on average. Matthews and Patterson can handle that. So, I agree that Mitchell is worth keeping on the roster, but if he is significantly better than Dorsett and Britt in camp.

My take:

a.) Slater is a WR. Shut up....I don't care....I count him as a WR that happens to be our #1 gunner.

b.) We only can keep 6 WR's. Any more than 6, we are cutting a real good player elsewhere for a #7 WR who will not even see a pass thrown his way all season.

c.) The ABSOLUTE LOCKS (assuming health) are: Edelman, Hogan, and Slater.

d.) That leaves us with 3 slots for:

- Malcolm Mitchell (3rd year. Coming off injury)
- Philip Dorsett (Speed, deep threat)
- Kenny Britt (Big body)
- Jordan Matthews (Slot guy)
- Riley McCarron (2nd year UDFA)
- Braxton Berrios (rookie, 7th round)
- Cody Hollister (year 2, never played in a NFL game)
- Cordarrelle Patterson (best KOR in the NFL, #4 WR most of career)
- Chris Lacy (UDFA)

e.) We can probably rule out Chris Lacy (UDFA) and Cody Hollister.

f.) That leaves 3 spots for 7 players. My guess is that the coaching staff wants 3 different types of receivers. My pick is: Jordan Matthews (slot), Malcom Mitchell (most talented of remaining guys), and Cordarrelle Patterson (KOR with weakened NFL KOR rules...remember people can't run before the kicker kicks off).

Julian Edelman #1
Chris Hogan #2
Malcolm Mitchell #2/#3
Jordan Matthews #3
Cordarrelle Patterson #4 (KOR)
Matthew Slater #6 (Gunner)

g.) Hopefully, we can retain Berrios, McCarron, and Hollister on the practice squad. And possibly trade Dorsett/Britt for a late round pick or a player that fills another need....

That said, Dorsett has some speed. Maybe he can take over some of the responsibilities that Cooks had.

In order for him to take over some of Cooks’ responsibilities, he and Brady will need to get on the same page. Speed is great, but earning Brady’s trust in a WR Seems to be more about football IQ (and playing mistake-free) than anything else. In any case, last season It was obvious that Brady did not have a lot of trust in Dorsett judging by the number of targets.

In order for him to take over some of Cooks’ responsibilities, he and Brady will need to get on the same page. Speed is great, but earning Brady’s trust in a WR Seems to be more about football IQ (and playing mistake-free) than anything else. In any case, last season It was obvious that Brady did not have a lot of trust in Dorsett judging by the number of targets.
It would be nice if Brady were here to begin to establish that trust.

Don't we have a 1000 page thread on this from a few years ago? Ian - can you just do a quick search-replace of the receiver's names and resurrect it?

Dorsett will be lucky to make the team. Saying that Dorsett has the ability to take Cook's responsibilities is an insult to Cooks. Cooks is a very good receiver but he just didn't fit in that well in NE. It looked as though Brady had to force the issue to get him involved. Dorsett did make some nice catches last year but he's never proven he could be like Cooks.

It would be nice if Brady were here to begin to establish that trust.
I don't think it's that big of a deal but he's obviously not there for some reason.

Dorsett will be lucky to make the team. Saying that Dorsett has the ability to take Cook's responsibilities is an insult to Cooks. Cooks is a very good receiver but he just didn't fit in that well in NE

Agreed on that. I think they (the team) liked Cooks, but they knew he was going to walk after this season due to what he could fetch on the open market, and the Rams made such a sweet offer.

QB - agreed, with Etling to PS;

RB - I still feel that they need a Power Back, so I'm hoping that one of GillyGilly or Hill earns a spot, with Webb to PS;

WR - I'm hoping that the physically superior Riley McCarron beats out Barrio, who belongs on the PS and Mitchell on PUP;

TE - agreed, though I wouldn't be shocked if a 3rd TE among Nicklas/Izzo/Hollister is kept, and/or one of those 3 to PS;

OL - If nobody among Bowanko/John/King/Tobin can out-perform Croston, then it's time to look outside the building for OLman #9, with Jelks to PS;

DE - agreed, with one of Lee or (preferably) Davis to PS; buh-bye GeeNo!

DT - agreed; buh-bye Vinnie!

LB - agreed, though as was mentioned if Langi is able to participate without restrictions, then he should be able to beat out Bentley, who belongs on the PS; buh-bye Elandon!

CB - I prefer the physically superior Ryan Lewis & JC Jackson to Jonny Jones (PUP) & Keion Crossen (PS); buh-bye Cyrus the Virus!

S - Words cannot express how vehemently I Disagree with the inclusion of Glitch The Disgrace to the Uniform Richards here. Seriously?!? I would sh!t-can Brandon King also, in favor of David Jones and/or Damarius Travis.

QB - agreed, with Etling to PS;

RB - I still feel that they need a Power Back, so I'm hoping that one of GillyGilly or Hill earns a spot, with Webb to PS;

WR - I'm hoping that the physically superior Riley McCarron beats out Barrio, who belongs on the PS and Mitchell on PUP;

TE - agreed, though I wouldn't be shocked if a 3rd TE among Nicklas/Izzo/Hollister is kept, and/or one of those 3 to PS;

OL - If nobody among Bowanko/John/King/Tobin can out-perform Croston, then it's time to look outside the building for OLman #9, with Jelks to PS;

DE - agreed, with one of Lee or (preferably) Davis to PS; buh-bye GeeNo!

DT - agreed; buh-bye Vinnie!

LB - agreed, though as was mentioned if Langi is able to participate without restrictions, then he should be able to beat out Bentley, who belongs on the PS; buh-bye Elandon!

CB - I prefer the physically superior Ryan Lewis & JC Jackson to Jonny Jones (PUP) & Keion Crossen (PS); buh-bye Cyrus the Virus!

S - Words cannot express how vehemently I Disagree with the inclusion of Glitch The Disgrace to the Uniform Richards here. Seriously?!? I would sh!t-can Brandon King also, in favor of David Jones and/or Damarius Travis.

2) Agreed but I don't see anyone with that much more power than a Michel tbh. Not to the point of keeping them. That player just wouldn't get the snaps to make an impact & in cases would just be predictable. W/ Sony Gronk & Rex on the field teams have a nightmare decision to make regarding how & more importantly who they deploy their S's/LB's on. Rex in the slot, Michel in BF w/ Gronk out wide is torture for defenses. We can run it easily but also have 1 0n 1's w/ Jules & our other WR

3) I actually like McCarron & don't think its that far fetched but Berrios has the inside track rn imo. McCarron or Berrios I think its a really solid group. I had Mitchell on pup but also Dorsett making it. I could see either situation playing out depending on who balls out this summer.

4) Allen's experience, blocking is keeping him onin May but I could def see us carrying 2 w/ Niklas or w/e making it over Allen.

5)For me, rn, it was between Croston & Tobin but Croston winning out bc of his versatility.

6)Yea I didn't mention ps guys much if at all. Theres just some positions that are very hard to breakthrough ...

7) ... And this was one of them. I could def see VV making it ifs hes healthy, shows up etc but the other 4 are almost locks imo.

8)Yea like Mitchell I just gotta see it w/ Langi. Like I said in the piece, I like him, pats obviously like him or they wouldn't have been looking at him for years across the country but I gotta see it on the field. Pretty sure Sam was brought in to replace Roberts so it looks like his days are numbered here.

9)Jackson I can get on board w/ & Lewis balled out the other day but ur too low on certain guys & seem absolute in certain areas. Crossen is a player is deserves more respect.

10)Richards was specifically labeled ST. He won't be seeing the field on D much if at all.

So, we should praise Dorsett for getting targeted approx. once per game after the bye week during a time when Edelman, Hogan, and Mitchell (top 3 wide receivers heading into the summer) were all sidelined with injuries? That sounds like quite the stretch. It’s the Michael Floyd argument all over again. There were no other real options at the position, so the player saw more snaps and yet even then, hardly saw many targets.

If we’re being honest, Dorsett has been quite underwhelming throughout most of his career, and certainly didn’t do much while he was here in 2017. That’s pretty much a fact, or so I thought. One would think they’d have utilized his speed on screens, shallow crossers, Jet sweeps, etc a lot more. He was most likely out there due to designed schemes and positional personnel, especially since he was basically a decoy. Much like the legend of Michael Floyd, good for him for doing his job and throwing some blocks downfield like all of the other New England WRs not named Brandin Cooks. I’m not sure that changes the idea that he really didn’t do too much in a full season of playing WR, though.

If he and Britt rise to the top of a crowded WR grouping that basically has 3/5 spots filled (one of Mitchell or Matthews), then all the better. In the meantime, most of the expectations are likely to be lower with both of them. I’m hoping that you’re right and that Dorsett will master more of the playbook with a full offseason, but having Edelman, Hogan, and either Mitchell/Matthews all healthy and ahead of him on the depth chart is going to mean that he has his work cut out for him, and barring injury, he’ll have the usual 20-25 catch production that we see from a WR4. And in this scenario, one of Mitchell/Matthews doesn’t make the team, which is no sure thing since Mitchell has more knowledge of our system and Matthews has actually produced in the NFL, has excellent size at 6’3”, and can play both inside/outside.

Belichick went out and traded for Cordarrelle Patterson for a reason, and he actually plays an important role on special teams. Britt may be cheap camp competition to help the CBs learn against bigger/physical guys, and he may be something of injury insurance which is obviously important, but where do you see a washed up Britt fitting in the depth chart, here? I’m not sure why it would be a controversial statement to suggest that Britt and Dorsett are probably on the outside looking in, but injuries often seem to solve these battles, which is why it’s much too early to even have some of these discussions. In the meantime, we seem to view the battles a bit differently on this one, so perhaps you’re right and one or both make the squad.

These posts make opposite claims and yet they both sound right.

I don't see keeping 6 WR's plus Slater. As you say, we have more 2 RB looks that anyone in the league, and turn RB's will get lots of receptions. I'm OK with 5 plus Slater, but only because our returners are included in the WR group. We certainly don't NEED 5 wide receivers. The total receptions by our #4 and #5 WR is about 1 reception game.

I would never go with only 13 front seven players. INHO, that is one or two light.

Which ever receiver i root for is going to get dumped, so i'm just not going to root for any of them.

Just root for Chris Lacy then. Problem solved. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey