PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Words on things I watched, read & heard II

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
The play before Mac's interception was a dump-off dropped by Harris (13:22 Second Quarter). Mac had huge amounts of time but had locked on Henry, who was covered. What he didn't see was that Parker was completely on his own with nothing but green between himself and the goal line. How could he have not seen that?

Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 5.07.12 PM.png

The play before Mac's interception was a dump-off dropped by Harris (13:22 Second Quarter). Mac had huge amounts of time but had locked on Henry, who was covered. What he didn't see was that Parker was completely on his own with nothing but green between himself and the goal line. How could he have not seen that?

View attachment 46642
The time to throw it would have been while he was still in the process of faking the handoff. By the time he completed his fake, the safety was probably close enough to make a play on it. This screenshot is way too late in the play to tell us anything.

Chris Mason (Masslive) tweeted out something similar yesterday, but that tweet mysteriously disappeared once people started disagreeing with him.

The time to throw it would have been while he was still in the process of faking the handoff. By the time he completed his fake, the safety was probably close enough to make a play on it. This screenshot is way too late in the play to tell us anything.

Chris Mason (Masslive) tweeted out something similar yesterday, but that tweet mysteriously disappeared once people started disagreeing with him.

It's hard to get a perfect clip because the TV cameras didn't include the downfield receivers but you can see that Mac has loads of time and spends 2 or more seconds scanning downfield before opting for the dumpoff. At that stage, the safety was even further away. Here's a screenshot from the All-22 which is as close as I can get to when Mac opted for the dumpoff.

Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 6.21.30 PM.png

There is no truth to the currently circulating rumor that Bailey Zappe's family recently changed its name from Baggins (of the Sackville Bagginses.)

That is all.

A Few defensive thoughts ...

Next is the IDL. Along with the above I've been banging the drum for some help this off-season here. Either an upgrade opposite Judon but the more pressing issue is the interior imo. It's clear to me we need reinforcements inside. Hopefully Perk is up to the challenge next year but we might be looking to add to the outside as well.

On early/base downs were playing a lot of our Okie front a "head up" look where you have 5T 0 5T (5T are outside eye or outside shoulder almost head up) leaving G unblocked so LB have to take 'em. 5T will go inside / outside depending on the play.

Mixed in with some 3T 0 3T (3T shaded outside eye or outside shoulder guard) & 4i 0 4i (4i shaded inside eye or inside shoulder of tackles) or "tite" which NFL borrowed from colleges. Again you'll see variations mixed in but we've been playing a lot of the 505 as a base in early downs.

The problem is twofold imo. Teams that can really bully you in the ground game and are efficient running duo (two double teams) and inside - mid zone can just double or prioritize our 0 or 1 and a 5T. And we're not getting off blocks or up field. We're getting washed out the play. We've actually used Wise inside to try to get vertical upfield with little success.

We're fine against smaller offensive lines or one that might not have as much chemistry or frankly talent up front but have had problems against some of the more top tier lines. Bills, Atlanta, Jete, Carolina but teams that have an identity have been more of a problem. Not breaking news you'll have more trouble with better more established lines but those are the teams you'll have to face to get where we want to go and we still need to figure out a plan up front. Again we've adjusted a little in terms of alignment (shifting from 5T to 4i) and personnel (Wise and Davis) but we're not getting the results we want upfront.

Another issue is how you want to defend the run, right? Take from coverage, sacrifice up front. You have guys like Fangio and Staley using a lot of tite or Mint in Sabanese and give up a gap and half. Sacrifice a little pass rush, put a shell over the top and rotate Saf down in the box. Essentially giving up the +1 and trying to stop the run while combating early passing downs.

However you're approaching it, it's clear we need to beat doubles if we're going to keep up with this and no matter the front or alignment we need an upgrade at IDL/NT spot. God and Guy have been inconsistent tbh. Both contribute and have good sequences, neither has been bad all year but it inconsistent. And going forward we really need to think about investing in those positions (versatile 5T that can rush / stop the run) or another Warren type along with a legit NT. Jordan Davis, Travis Jones or someone in the 4th / 5th round but really plays the part. Right now we have 3 bodies doing serviceables job but we need another big time talent up front.

TLDR:
We need a real slot to make things easier on Mac. Alleviate some pressure from MOF. Take advantage of matchups from different positions. This is the one thing that would help our offense the most imo from a "targets" pov.

We're handling smaller OL's that don't have an identity or real chemistry - Atlanta, Jete, Bills, Carolina but losing the physical battle to better ones. Personnel / Alignment needs tweaking if we're going to continue this way. Specifically 5T and 0/1.
After the Chicago game it got me thinking of how we play certain teams or how certain teams prepare/play us. Some teams will get specific or exotic, depending on how you look at it but we have a problem with teams that have no problem getting into a fight. Have a plan and stick to it. Break out something new (more designed QB power which we've struggled with) It's become a bit of a pattern recently. Before we were smart and tough. You couldn't describe that era without talking about how mental tough and prepared we were before and during the game. Not the case anymore.
Matt Eberflus was the DC in Indy last year who gave us problems at time. We didn't really make it a point to run the ball but they gave us problems in both phases causing multiple TO from Mac and held Rham under 3.8 but again only like 13 rushes.
Again though Eberflus really coached up his guys before the game. Coming up with a a nice strategy and executed it very well. They got their bigs (OL TE on smaller DB/LB), punched us and kept on smacking us around.

Like @long distance said earlier this week. This teams needs an identity. Some toughness and fight. Regression from our run was happening but that doesn't mean we give up our attention to detail, aggressiveness, mentally and physically fast and aware, winning the last 2-4 minutes of every quarter especially going into halftime and coming out after!! Remember the adjustments we made on the fly!

This team lost a little fight and mental along the way. Talent is an issue but we could absolutely improve on those things and more.

Here's hoping we see a statement game today. Honestly this team should come out swinging and not let up after what happened last week on every level. Players and coaches. Prep and execution. No intensity and focus. Here's hoping that was our Cincinnati and we come out with a new attitude today!

Go Pats!!!

After the Chicago game it got me thinking of how we play certain teams or how certain teams prepare/play us. Some teams will get specific or exotic, depending on how you look at it but we have a problem with teams that have no problem getting into a fight. Have a plan and stick to it. Break out something new (more designed QB power which we've struggled with) It's become a bit of a pattern recently. Before we were smart and tough. You couldn't describe that era without talking about how mental tough and prepared we were before and during the game. Not the case anymore.
Matt Eberflus was the DC in Indy last year who gave us problems at time. We didn't really make it a point to run the ball but they gave us problems in both phases causing multiple TO from Mac and held Rham under 3.8 but again only like 13 rushes.
Again though Eberflus really coached up his guys before the game. Coming up with a a nice strategy and executed it very well. They got their bigs (OL TE on smaller DB/LB), punched us and kept on smacking us around.

Like @long distance said earlier this week. This teams needs an identity. Some toughness and fight. Regression from our run was happening but that doesn't mean we give up our attention to detail, aggressiveness, mentally and physically fast and aware, winning the last 2-4 minutes of every quarter especially going into halftime and coming out after!! Remember the adjustments we made on the fly!

This team lost a little fight and mental along the way. Talent is an issue but we could absolutely improve on those things and more.

Here's hoping we see a statement game today. Honestly this team should come out swinging and not let up after what happened last week on every level. Players and coaches. Prep and execution. No intensity and focus. Here's hoping that was our Cincinnati and we come out with a new attitude today!

Go Pats!!!

Great post BGC.
I would not be at all surprised to see a good face of the team today. The opp QB is there for the taking despite missing Dugger and Barmore.

My argument earlier was this team needs one face - no matter winning or losing.
They had that last year & despite fading towards the end it looked like surprisingly good foundation was made to build on in Macs rookie contract yrs. You didn't know what the result of the game would be but you KNEW what TEAM are you going to see - every week - w rookie QB!

In year one of rebuild it looked like they have QB, young core and identity for the future. After expectedly punting on FA they added a great Draft class + UDFA so normally expectations were to see the next step - forward. Instead they took - at least - a step back with all the coaching, playbook etc shenanigans. The TE fiasco thats going on for years now is a good example of some coaching disconnect etc. So I completely agree - its not predominantly about talent (nobody's forcing them to play Tavai, Bryant f.e. over better talent on the bench) - its about vision and leadership = identity. And identity means: we know who we are and we are ONE.

On the positive side: they still have solid young core and added plenty of young talent, they still have plenty of cheap QB years left & they have loads of cap going forward. But in order to make this work they need clear vision and leadership on and off the field in all phases and aspects of the team. Just BB, especially the new smiling one, will not be enough.

I keep hearing about how well Mac has played the last two weeks. And while he wasn't bad vs NY, he wasn't good either. I reviewed the game on A22 and Mac was good. He was OK but he wasn't special. And unfortunately that's what we're waiting on.
20221101_151634.jpg

Keep drafting RB in RD1. It makes a lot of sense.
20221101_170232.jpg

Onwenu and Stevenson are out best players.
20221101_170738.jpg

Myles Garrett is every bit the potential HOF prospect i thought he was coming out. Dude is a game changer in every sense of the word! Parsons has been an absolute monster. Unbelievable. Couple other guys that deserve some love. Josh Allen, Baron Browning and Deatrich Wise. I wanted Browning here bad
20221101_171046.jpg

Barmore has been flashing every game and looks improved against the run. Hopefully he joins that list soon.
20221101_170915.jpg

If Denver had an offense they'd be SB contenders

Miami and KC could be scary with a little balance.

There's a real dichotomy between the "good & bad" in the league. Middle class seemed to have dropped off big time.

Interesting to see where Cole Strange stacks up in the guard chart, not so bad, especially compared to Z. Johnson and K. Green. After watching him now for a half season I feel better even after he struggled this past game. And yet I will have all these strong opinions next April :whistle:

Interesting to see where Cole Strange stacks up in the guard chart, not so bad, especially compared to Z. Johnson and K. Green. After watching him now for a half season I feel better even after he struggled this past game.
This is nice to see though. I've been saying for a few weeks now that Strange has been playing at an average - slightly above average level and this kind of points to that.
Great company for Onwenu though! I've always thought G was a better fit and he had the makings of a great one so far. Unbelievable company actually as a few of those guys are HOF worthy.

And yet I will have all these strong opinions next April :whistle:
That's why we love the draft though!

Fans have very little say in anything but the draft process provides a chance to "make your case" and pound the table for certain prospects. It's fun and honestly is very necessary. Can't let the big shots get away with everything without fair criticism.

Plus it's a great way to stay ahead of the curve. Both from a prospect/player pov and stylistically (scheme)

This is nice to see though. I've been saying for a few weeks now that Strange has been playing at an average - slightly above average level and this kind of points to that.
Great company for Onwenu though! I've always thought G was a better fit and he had the makings of a great one so far. Unbelievable company actually as a few of those guys are HOF worthy.

That's why we love the draft though!

Fans have very little say in anything but the draft process provides a chance to "make your case" and pound the table for certain prospects. It's fun and honestly is very necessary. Can't let the big shots get away with everything without fair criticism.

Plus it's a great way to stay ahead of the curve. Both from a prospect/player pov and stylistically (scheme)
He looks light, maybe just me. Bulk up, get stronger next year.

The amazing thing to me is that Onwenu was pretty bad at LG last year.

If you can switch sides and basically become an All-Pro, then what does that say about the casual way we expect players to make the switch?

I'm talking about Wynn. We're all like, he stinks. But is he clearly not meant to be a RT the way Onwenu was clearly not an LG?

The OL is fascinating when you see the performance for the same player at different positions.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back