PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Words on things I watched, read & heard II

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
To jump into the Mac-Zappe pocket presence conversation, I agree with most everything that's been said to this point.

I'm rewatching highlights of the Baltimore game, which I think was arguably Mac's best performance ... or at least the best barometer of what Mac can be (sans the turnovers). Watching this, I think Zappe is a significant step ahead in terms of pocket awareness and pocket movement.

It's not so much mobility or athleticism, but instead feel for the pocket. Mac is really bad at sensing angles, leverage, and defenders' momentum. The great QBs can be make subtle but decisive movements (often a quick step to the side and/or climbing the pocket) to create time. It's so effortless for the good ones that we take it for granted, but then watching a QB who doesn't have that trait sticks out like a sore thumb.

Mac doesn't seem good at making subtle but sharp movements in small spaces. I don't want to say he panics with bodies near him, but he's not good at feeling the pocket and the angles defenders are taking. Too often he either drops his eyes, squares his feet/hips and squats, or falls onto his back foot, which makes him a sitting duck and completely throws off timing/rhythm. Get pressure near him and he's not good at handling it.

Zappe, OTOH, was consistently great at moving in the pocket yesterday. Which again, is uncannily similar to Bledsoe-Brady. Bledsoe just didn't have good pocket awareness, whereas I don't think there's a QB in NFL history with better pocket presence/savvy/movement than Tom Brady; that's an underrated part of his game ... the way he can create just a fraction of a second more with a subtle sidestep or slide-up is truly legendary.

-

This one is a good example and really demonstrates what I'm talking about. There's actually a rather big lane to step-up in the pocket here but Mac flubs it, badly. When he hits his back foot he should immediately start climbing the pocket. If he had done this, #92 would've been washed upfield and run right past Mac. Instead of immediately climbing the pocket and staying in timing/rhythm, Mac hits his back foot and squats, squaring his hips to the defense. At this point he's done for, the play is over.

Baltimore_Ravens_vs_New_England_Patriots__Week_3_2022_Game_H (1).gif

And a still image of the point that Mac hits his back foot and squares his hips instead of sliding up. You can see the lane available had he decisively and quickly climbed the pocket. This is poor pocket presence from Mac here, and unfortunately not uncommon.

unknown.png

-

Here are four examples of Zappe in the pocket today. Not all of these are masterclasses by any means, but it's hard not to notice the difference in his pocket presence/awareness/movement compared to Mac. This stuff by itself is more than enough to make me feel extremely optimistic about moving forward with Zappe at QB. The fact he threw the ball really darn well today, too, with good zip and accuracy, is just the icing on the cake.

Zappe1.gif
Zappe2.gif
Zappe3.gif
Zappe4.gif

Last edited:
What a great f#cking post, man, and BTW you are a VERY good writer.

I'm guessing you wrote this before the Pats game, after which the Zappe hype will only increase, but you made several interesting points. The first was "instincts" when the pocket begins to break down.

That has ALWAYS been a weakness of Mac's. Maybe its because he only started 17 games in college and all of those behind OL's that were headed to the pros. Maybe Zappe HAS those "instincts" because had over 3 times the starts and in a lot of them had to run for his life half the time and "acquired" those instincts.

I think part of Macs issues this year come from the fact that last year he was under tight control of Josh and the offense was kind of spoon fed him. THIS season he's been let loose a LOT more and he's not ready for that kind of freedom. Kind of like one step forward, 2 steps back. Mac needs to be reigned in a bit an brought under control. Have his reads made simpler so he can have success WHILE he gets more and more experience as how to evade the rush AND utilize he athleticism more. Every time I see a glimpse of him effectively avoiding the rush, there are 2 plays where he, like you noted, he freezes like a deer in the headlights.

On the other had Zappe seems to INSTINCTUALLY react correctly when he's rushed and was very smooth delivering accurate passes to safety valves on at least 2 distinct occasions against the Lions. He looked very comfortable while doing it. But here's the thing. Zappe the answer right now for the Pats. He was clearly spoon fed this offense today. Except for the TD, who was so wide open he could have walked the last 5 yds (great design, great route). However every OTHER pass that went over 10 yds beyond the LOS was wildly inaccurate.

There are going to be games where teams start to get film on what Zappe is doing and the Pats are going to be playing better defenses, a LOT better than what the Lions showed us and I wonder if Zappe has half the long distance accuracy that Mac has already shown us. I want him back ASAP, though I doubt it will be this week.

This week Stevenson had about 160 yds rushing on 25 carries, but over 110 came on only 4 runs, and that was against the worst defense in the league, who had players coming off the field all through the game. The rest of the time we WEREN'T getting push and there were too many 1 yard gains when we need 3-4. Funny to say this after a 178 yd day, but the run game NEEDS to get better as long as Zappe is in control. He hasn't shown he is able to extend the defense. He has hit one wide open guy on a pass that went about 15 yds beyond the LOS, so 20 yds in the air. Every other pass wasn't within 5 yds of the receiver or the defender.

Cleveland has a mediocre defense but its a LOT better than the Lions and while the Lions BAD defense was injury riddled the Browns seem to be getting healthier there.

Mac is an incrementally better athlete than Bailey Zappe. His combine stats were all about 10-15% better than Zappe's. When healthy HE's the more accurate long ball passer. He's the one that needs those reps so he can get beyond this little set back and DEVELOP the instincts to move more effectively in the offense.

I trust in Mac because he's one of those obsessive psychotically competitive guys who will do whatever is necessary to get from point A to point B. I'm sure he recognizes this weakness and the coaches need to figure out ways to make him react to various rushes UNTIL they become instinctive through games and practices

MY goal for Zappe is that he develops and into a solid back up and has a long career here. BUT don't tell me you want to forget last year and run to the first guy who wins a game at QB. The guy has yet to throw for 200 yds let alone 300. What he has done so far has been great, but it is NOT sustainable. The other teams get films too. AND now I'm just rambling. good night land again great post, much better than mine.
Lots in here I agree with, but the claim that every Zappe pass which traveled 10+ yards (other than the TD to Meyers) was "wildly inaccurate" just isn't true. He threw some intermediate strikes in the 12-16 yard range. Took a few shots deep, didn't hit any of them, but also didn't put the ball in particularly dangerous places on those throws. They were not underthrown and not turnovers.

Spoon fed? I don't know ... maybe, but why should that minimize what the player did? They let him open things up a bit and the kid delivered basically every time. Gave him a lot of RPO/air-raid concepts (which he is most familiar with from college) and he executed at a high level. They didn't call a wide-open offense with 7-8 step drops, go back there and sling it, and why would they? That's not who Zappe is. That'd be bad coaching. They certainly let him run the offense and appeared to give him a lot of autonomy at the LOS, and he did better than anyone could have asked.

The TD to Meyers wasn't that wide open. Looked like cover-2. Henry ran a seam and held the safety, Zappe got the ball over the top of the boundary CB. It wasn't an elite throw, and it's one an NFL QB should be expected to hit, but I wouldn't describe it as wide-open and it took a good throw to ensure it was a TD. Gif of it below. Not blanket coverage, but the window wasn't wide-open, either. The throw had to be accurate and on time, which it was (and this was the case all game).

Zappe3.gif

Zappe hasn't shown the ability to extend the defense? Vertically? He took the shots, didn't hit them. I'd give him more than one game before determining that. He certainly did a much better job against Detroit of utilizing horizontal space/leverage to force defenders into binds than I've ever seen Mac do. (See gif below of the throw to Henry -- that was lowkey a really high-level play).

Zappe2.gif

Why isn't what Zappe did sustainable? I don't think we can know this based on one game. Yes, teams will get film on him and the opponents will be tougher at times, but I think Zappe can build on this.

The other thing I'm surprised to see undiscussed is just how good Zappe was at the LOS. He seemed completely confident and comfortable reading the defense, setting the protections, getting into/out of plays. Obviously the coaching staff will have to go over things to analyze just how good it was, but I don't recall any protection breakdowns which means Zappe was probably seeing things correctly, properly identifying free rushers, and doing his job well pre-snap. And then there's this postgame quote from BB:
“He does a good job of seeing the game and can come off and identify and articulate what he saw, what happened — and that’s usually right. What he saw is usually what I saw or, maybe, when you look at the film, maybe there’s something that’s a little gray in there, his explanation is actually good. It was the way he saw it. Maybe he might not have done the right thing, but he saw the game".

Last edited:
And then there's this postgame quote from BB:

That is an amazing quote. BB likes the kid.

I think the sentiment is that Zappe is very smart, instinctual, and accurate in the short passing game. Comments include that he is not a great athlete, and does not possess a great deep ball pass. Those comments seem fair to me. I don't think there is much to question or defend.

That is an amazing quote. BB likes the kid.

I think the sentiment is that Zappe is very smart, instinctual, and accurate in the short passing game. Comments include that he is not a great athlete, and does not possess a great deep ball pass. Those comments seem fair to me. I don't think there is much to question or defend.

Strikes me as a better functional athlete than Mac. Mac may have better measurables, but he doesn't look as natural and fluid on the field actually utilizing his physical ability. Zappe looked a lot better on his feet than Mac ever has.

Can't say the guy has a bad deep ball based on one game. The statement wasn't "his deep ball isn't great and needs work", it was "every pass over 10 yards was wildly inaccurate" - that is what seems unreasonable and unfair to me.

Strikes me as a better functional athlete than Mac. Mac may have better measurables, but he doesn't look as natural and fluid on the field actually utilizing his physical ability. Zappe looked a lot better on his feet than Mac ever has.

Can't say the guy has a bad deep ball based on one game. The statement wasn't "his deep ball isn't great and needs work", it was "every pass over 10 yards was wildly inaccurate" - that is what seems unreasonable and unfair to me.

Agree with you on Mac's athleticism not bring apparent. I am no a QB guru like some others, but Zappe doesn't look great the deeper he throws. Same thing different topics. Zappe looks athletic moving around the pocket but doesn't look overly "natural " on some of his throws. Maybe that is a better way to say the same thing?

If you like how Zappe moves in the pocket, it is fair to say he could look better with some of his throws. I assume the draft guys already know Zappe's throwing mechanics on deep balls from college, not only his few deep balls in 2 games.

This deep ball fallacy has everything to do with how mahomes and Allen play . Same with wide receiver break neck speeds and myers getting dissed.

What we need are football smarts and without that you cannot really excel irrespective of your athletic measurables.

We might not be the most glamorous team but if we can deliver a win through 1000 small cuts I will take it day in day out rather than winning once in a blue moon with 6 TD passes.

Zappe pocket presence looks too good to be true. I hope it sustains. If it pans out , who knows we might have caught lightning twice in a bottle .

Last edited:
This deep ball fallacy has everything to do with how mahomes and Allen play . Same with wide receiver break neck speeds and wmyers getting dissed.

What we need are football smarts and without that you cannot really excel irrespective of your athletic measurables.

We might not be the most glamorous team but if we can deliver a win through 1000 small cuts I will take it day in day out rather than winning once in a blue moon with 6 TD passes.

Zappe pocket presence looks too good to be true. I hope it sustains. If it pans out , who knows we might have caught lightning twice in a bottle .

I do think stretching the field vertically and executing big plays is important, but agreed that without proper game management, big plays in a vacuum doesn’t win you anything other than highlights and stats.

And yes, wholeheartedly agreed on Zappe’s pocket presence. It was a joy to behold and a breath of fresh air. We’ll see if he can keep it up.

Lots in here I agree with, but the claim that every Zappe pass which traveled 10+ yards (other than the TD to Meyers) was "wildly inaccurate" just isn't true. He threw some intermediate strikes in the 12-16 yard range. Took a few shots deep, didn't hit any of them, but also didn't put the ball in particularly dangerous places on those throws. They were not underthrown and not turnovers.

Spoon fed? I don't know ... maybe, but why should that minimize what the player did? They let him open things up a bit and the kid delivered basically every time. Gave him a lot of RPO/air-raid concepts (which he is most familiar with from college) and he executed at a high level. They didn't call a wide-open offense with 7-8 step drops, go back there and sling it, and why would they? That's not who Zappe is. That'd be bad coaching. They certainly let him run the offense and appeared to give him a lot of autonomy at the LOS, and he did better than anyone could have asked.

The TD to Meyers wasn't that wide open. Looked like cover-2. Henry ran a seam and held the safety, Zappe got the ball over the top of the boundary CB. It wasn't an elite throw, and it's one an NFL QB should be expected to hit, but I wouldn't describe it as wide-open and it took a good throw to ensure it was a TD. Gif of it below. Not blanket coverage, but the window wasn't wide-open, either. The throw had to be accurate and on time, which it was (and this was the case all game).

View attachment 46059

Zappe hasn't shown the ability to extend the defense? Vertically? He took the shots, didn't hit them. I'd give him more than one game before determining that. He certainly did a much better job against Detroit of utilizing horizontal space/leverage to force defenders into binds than I've ever seen Mac do. (See gif below of the throw to Henry -- that was lowkey a really high-level play).

View attachment 46057

Why isn't what Zappe did sustainable? I don't think we can know this based on one game. Yes, teams will get film on him and the opponents will be tougher at times, but I think Zappe can build on this.

The other thing I'm surprised to see undiscussed is just how good Zappe was at the LOS. He seemed completely confident and comfortable reading the defense, setting the protections, getting into/out of plays. Obviously the coaching staff will have to go over things to analyze just how good it was, but I don't recall any protection breakdowns which means Zappe was probably seeing things correctly, properly identifying free rushers, and doing his job well pre-snap. And then there's this postgame quote from BB:
A couple of points.

First the TD pas to Meyers WAS wide open. As Bedard explained well in a film study of this particular play, it was a brilliant call by Patricia (his words not mine) and one they clearly prepared for. They expected cover 2 near the GL and they got it. The motion by Bourne showed it was zone. Henry and Meyers both ran verticals. Zappe had only to read half the field and key on the on side S, if he closes his hips to Henry go to Meyers and if he moves toward Meyers take Henry. The S (one of those last DB's off the bench) made a tentative move toward Henry and Meyers was literally uncovered.

Also on his few long throws they WERE wildly inaccurate because they were no where near any player offensive OR defensive. Like I said his "longest" completion when about 23 yds in the air to a wide open receiver. Nothing hyperbolic about any of my statements.

On an item we DO agree on is Bailey Zappe's comfort in the pocket and Mac's relative discomfort at times this season.

I asked the fans to give me a link to Bourne's 2021 catches so I could try and figure out what the F is going on with him THIS year. Some one very graciously provided one to me (you can find it on the Idle thoughts thread). But after watching those clips you couldn't help but notice just how poised Mac was on those throws. No happy feet, no hearing footsteps against blitzes.

So what is going on with Mac. BCG gave us a clue when he pointed out that Mac Started 17 games in college behind what was a NFL caliber OL, while Zappe started 57 games behind OL's not even close to that. Over that time Zappe clearly developed survival instincts that Mac currently doesn't have, even though Mac is the better overall athlete, though the difference isn't huge.

Without and direct knowledge, my instincts tell me Mac took on too much of the offense this year after being spoon fed by Josh and the result has been one step forward, 2 steps back. I think he needs to be reigned in. Make his reads simpler and easier. Concentrate on execution rather than being Tom Brady year 5 and just be Mac in year 1.3. But that is just me.

Last edited:
What a great f#cking post, man, and BTW you are a VERY good writer.
Appreciate it man hope all is well and you're doing good! Been meaning to respond but life, work ... again hope all is well man! It's been tough posting. I feel like a stranger.
I'm guessing you wrote this before the Pats game,
Basically towards the end. Came up in the GDT.
after which the Zappe hype will only increase, but you made several interesting points. The first was "instincts" when the pocket begins to break down.

That has ALWAYS been a weakness of Mac's. Maybe its because he only started 17 games in college and all of those behind OL's that were headed to the pros. Maybe Zappe HAS those "instincts" because had over 3 times the starts and in a lot of them had to run for his life half the time and "acquired" those instincts.

I think part of Macs issues this year come from the fact that last year he was under tight control of Josh and the offense was kind of spoon fed him. THIS season he's been let loose a LOT more and he's not ready for that kind of freedom. Kind of like one step forward, 2 steps back. Mac needs to be reigned in a bit an brought under control. Have his reads made simpler so he can have success WHILE he gets more and more experience as how to evade the rush AND utilize he athleticism more. Every time I see a glimpse of him effectively avoiding the rush, there are 2 plays where he, like you noted, he freezes like a deer in the headlights.
Yea it's been an issue since Bama. He can make it work at times if he recognizes it but his feet are stuck in the mud too much when he needs to just react and play. That's where Zappe has slightly better instincts, plays looser.
On the other had Zappe seems to INSTINCTUALLY react correctly when he's rushed and was very smooth delivering accurate passes to safety valves on at least 2 distinct occasions against the Lions. He looked very comfortable while doing it. But here's the thing. Zappe the answer right now for the Pats. He was clearly spoon fed this offense today. Except for the TD, who was so wide open he could have walked the last 5 yds (great design, great route). However every OTHER pass that went over 10 yds beyond the LOS was wildly inaccurate.

There are going to be games where teams start to get film on what Zappe is doing and the Pats are going to be playing better defenses, a LOT better than what the Lions showed us and I wonder if Zappe has half the long distance accuracy that Mac has already shown us. I want him back ASAP, though I doubt it will be this week.
His pocket presence was much better. Lions will do that but he still tested their top guy when he was out there. Essentially a lot of one read stuff but he was quick and decisive. I know some of those deeper shots got away from him but it was a hit or miss throw. He wasn't putting it up for a 50/50 ball just yet.
This week Stevenson had about 160 yds rushing on 25 carries, but over 110 came on only 4 runs, and that was against the worst defense in the league, who had players coming off the field all through the game.
Rham has shown hes a true RB1. Leading in yac out of all RB I believe. He's improved in pp but still misses assignments which has always been the case even before the NFL. He's improved in his technique though hands are a little better. Just needs to stay on top of his stuff. I believe he still hesitates slightly on stunts. He's making Harris expendable though and I hate saying that bc Harris is my guy but Rham is more creative and can catch passes which I've been asking for all offseason. I want the ball in his hands and want his catching those option juke routes in the MOF. Just a good problem to have.
The rest of the time we WEREN'T getting push and there were too many 1 yard gains when we need 3-4. Funny to say this after a 178 yd day, but the run game NEEDS to get better as long as Zappe is in control. He hasn't shown he is able to extend the defense. He has hit one wide open guy on a pass that went about 15 yds beyond the LOS, so 20 yds in the air. Every other pass wasn't within 5 yds of the receiver or the defender.

Cleveland has a mediocre defense but its a LOT better than the Lions and while the Lions BAD defense was injury riddled the Browns seem to be getting healthier there.

Mac is an incrementally better athlete than Bailey Zappe. His combine stats were all about 10-15% better than Zappe's. When healthy HE's the more accurate long ball passer. He's the one that needs those reps so he can get beyond this little set back and DEVELOP the instincts to move more effectively in the offense.

I trust in Mac because he's one of those obsessive psychotically competitive guys who will do whatever is necessary to get from point A to point B. I'm sure he recognizes this weakness and the coaches need to figure out ways to make him react to various rushes UNTIL they become instinctive through games and practices

MY goal for Zappe is that he develops and into a solid back up and has a long career here. BUT don't tell me you want to forget last year and run to the first guy who wins a game at QB. The guy has yet to throw for 200 yds let alone 300. What he has done so far has been great, but it is NOT sustainable. The other teams get films too. AND now I'm just rambling. good night land again great post, much better than mine.
I love Zappe but don't believe he can take the job away from Mac this year. It's Mac's job. If Zappe plays well against better comp it'll make it harder but Mac will absolutely get his job back.

Depending on how he plays and finishes next offseason could be a different story. Mac hasn't been good in a small sample size so he deserves the benefit of the doubt right now. He absolutely has to play better though with or without Zappe looking over his shoulder. We need special from that position if we want to be a serious contender every year.

I should have mentioned this in my post to @patfanken and @dreighver videos highlight this to an extent. Not only did Zappe step up and make those plays you scream at your TV about. Simple stuff but he was fluid again just loose. I also thought he was very good selling PA, just handle those duties like a pro after the snap. That mesh point/handoff can be tricky but all eyes are still on you for a half second after the ball is gone and he did well to hold those eyes there.

My head has been buried in looking at matchups for my survivor pool lol and work so not sure how likely it is Mac plays this moment but Cleveland hasn't been that much better. This a much better test all around.

I do think stretching the field vertically and executing big plays is important, but agreed that without proper game management, big plays in a vacuum doesn’t win you anything other than highlights and stats.

And yes, wholeheartedly agreed on Zappe’s pocket presence. It was a joy to behold and a breath of fresh air. We’ll see if he can keep it up.
I think we're both Zappe fans as well as Mac/Pats fans.

Best case he makes a statement against some good teams and gets some good experience. I think Bill will go back to Mac but again if Zappe plays well. And Mac doesn't. Next year could be interesting.

He needs time and a little luck like all QB's but I think Zappe is Mac-lite in a lot of ways. So if one isn't performing the drop-off shouldn't be huge and decision as tough. Again a long way to go. Zappe has to show it against better teams.

Still some good news to talk about though.

To jump into the Mac-Zappe pocket presence conversation, I agree with most everything that's been said to this point.

I'm rewatching highlights of the Baltimore game, which I think was arguably Mac's best performance ... or at least the best barometer of what Mac can be (sans the turnovers). Watching this, I think Zappe is a significant step ahead in terms of pocket awareness and pocket movement.

It's not so much mobility or athleticism, but instead feel for the pocket. Mac is really bad at sensing angles, leverage, and defenders' momentum. The great QBs can be make subtle but decisive movements (often a quick step to the side and/or climbing the pocket) to create time. It's so effortless for the good ones that we take it for granted, but then watching a QB who doesn't have that trait sticks out like a sore thumb.

Mac doesn't seem good at making subtle but sharp movements in small spaces. I don't want to say he panics with bodies near him, but he's not good at feeling the pocket and the angles defenders are taking. Too often he either drops his eyes, squares his feet/hips and squats, or falls onto his back foot, which makes him a sitting duck and completely throws off timing/rhythm. Get pressure near him and he's not good at handling it.

Zappe, OTOH, was consistently great at moving in the pocket yesterday. Which again, is uncannily similar to Bledsoe-Brady. Bledsoe just didn't have good pocket awareness, whereas I don't think there's a QB in NFL history with better pocket presence/savvy/movement than Tom Brady; that's an underrated part of his game ... the way he can create just a fraction of a second more with a subtle sidestep or slide-up is truly legendary.

-

This one is a good example and really demonstrates what I'm talking about. There's actually a rather big lane to step-up in the pocket here but Mac flubs it, badly. When he hits his back foot he should immediately start climbing the pocket. If he had done this, #92 would've been washed upfield and run right past Mac. Instead of immediately climbing the pocket and staying in timing/rhythm, Mac hits his back foot and squats, squaring his hips to the defense. At this point he's done for, the play is over.

View attachment 46052

And a still image of the point that Mac hits his back foot and squares his hips instead of sliding up. You can see the lane available had he decisively and quickly climbed the pocket. This is poor pocket presence from Mac here, and unfortunately not uncommon.

unknown.png

-

Here are four examples of Zappe in the pocket today. Not all of these are masterclasses by any means, but it's hard not to notice the difference in his pocket presence/awareness/movement compared to Mac. This stuff by itself is more than enough to make me feel extremely optimistic about moving forward with Zappe at QB. The fact he threw the ball really darn well today, too, with good zip and accuracy, is just the icing on the cake.

View attachment 46053
View attachment 46054
View attachment 46055
View attachment 46056

I would argue pocket awareness is practically everything at that position.

Here's my Q though: how was Jones last year?

Because if the gameplan requires late developing plays, then the QB may be hanging in there for much longer than he should.

If Zappe's gameplan is limited and he's allowed to look for a dump off as soon as he feels pressure, he'll be much more attuned to abandoning the play rather than taking a sack.

I prefer our QBs take the dumpoffs. In fact, Brady was a master of this, and the only time I can even remember him failing at it was against the Eagles in the '17 SB when he had a guy in the flat but held it too long, which lead to the Graham strip sack.

What was Jones like in the pocket last year? I seem to remember he was really good.

This year is a different story.

-

View attachment 46052

unknown.png

-

View attachment 46053
View attachment 46054
View attachment 46055
View attachment 46056
I think this is the right place to ask a question about this play:

Is this (a) a total breakdown in pass protection, Mac had no chance or (b) something Mac should have seen as a possibility during his pre-snap read, should have had some awareness of, should have known he had to protect the ball more?

I'm leaning towards (b) but can be convinced of (a).

There was another play where Mac got blind sided and coughed up the ball, but I could not find it. It too had me thinking he had to be a bit more aware that no blocking scheme is perfect and he has to have more awareness that his blind side might not be as safe as he seems to think it is.

This is not a condemnation of Mac, it's just one part of his game that I feel he can improve on.

I would argue pocket awareness is practically everything at that position.

Here's my Q though: how was Jones last year?

Because if the gameplan requires late developing plays, then the QB may be hanging in there for much longer than he should.

If Zappe's gameplan is limited and he's allowed to look for a dump off as soon as he feels pressure, he'll be much more attuned to abandoning the play rather than taking a sack.

I prefer our QBs take the dumpoffs. In fact, Brady was a master of this, and the only time I can even remember him failing at it was against the Eagles in the '17 SB when he had a guy in the flat but held it too long, which lead to the Graham strip sack.

What was Jones like in the pocket last year? I seem to remember he was really good.

This year is a different story.
Mac took some terrible sacks last year. Too many bad yards off sacks. He was still struggling with delayed pressure this year.

He's struggled with immediate pressure - closer it is the more a problem it becomes since college.

If he can win with his mind / pre-snap he's much more likely to have a better rep. Although we know he can move a little.

Here's hoping he has a fire inside him rn with Zappe getting some love. We need killer Mac.

I think this is the right place to ask a question about this play:

Is this (a) a total breakdown in pass protection, Mac had no chance or (b) something Mac should have seen as a possibility during his pre-snap read, should have had some awareness of, should have known he had to protect the ball more?

I'm leaning towards (b) but can be convinced of (a).

There was another play where Mac got blind sided and coughed up the ball, but I could not find it. It too had me thinking he had to be a bit more aware that no blocking scheme is perfect and he has to have more awareness that his blind side might not be as safe as he seems to think it is.

This is not a condemnation of Mac, it's just one part of his game that I feel he can improve on.

This was was talked about during the game.

If you watch Hunter Henry, he never turns his head to the left. So he doesn't see the Safety come down to the line. Henry should have chipped the safety had he seen him. However, Mac should have ALSO seen him and called it out.

People have said this was on Brown, but I don't see how Brown could have gotten out to him since the Safety was outside the LB who was outside the DE. The DE was lined up on Brown's outside shoulder. The LB was on Henry's outside shoulder. I just don't see Brown being able to side-step out there fast enough to pick that safety up. Also, if Brown moves out, who pick's up the LB since Strange ended up engaged with the DE?

This was was talked about during the game.

If you watch Hunter Henry, he never turns his head to the left. So he doesn't see the Safety come down to the line. Henry should have chipped the safety had he seen him. However, Mac should have ALSO seen him and called it out.

People have said this was on Brown, but I don't see how Brown could have gotten out to him since the Safety was outside the LB who was outside the DE. The DE was lined up on Brown's outside shoulder. The LB was on Henry's outside shoulder. I just don't see Brown being able to side-step out there fast enough to pick that safety up. Also, if Brown moves out, who pick's up the LB since Strange ended up engaged with the DE?
Thanks for the analysis.

If I understand what you are saying, most of the fault on this play was the blitzing safety should have been detected pre-snap and the pass protection should have been adjusted.

The other play I was thinking about was:

Here it seems the TE is doing a chip block then expecting the OL to take the rusher so he can go out for a pass, but the OL is late and barely gets in a hit then Mac is hit on his blind side and coughs up the ball.

Isn't there something a player can yell out to alert the QB that a free runner is about to hit him from the blind side? The OL had to know he was beat fairly early on.

Mac seems so focused on the right side of the field. The out pattern on the left was even open for a brief second. In an ideal world of course the pass protection would have been better, but also Mac would have more awareness of the entire field. Again, not condemning Mac, but also feeling this is a part of his game that he can improve on.

Can't believe I missed this one when I made my post about Zappe's pocket presence last week. This was arguably his best on the day.

Pressure up the gut, pocket a bit disrupted. Eyes stay locked downfield. Subtle slide to his left/up to create time/space. Feet calm. Body mechanics in sequence/rhythm. Timing not disrupted. Gets pressure in his face late, as he steps into the throw and lets go of the ball - delivers a sideline throw from the far hash to convert on 3rd down.

You can't game-plan/handhold a guy into this type of stuff. High-level quarterback play.

Bailey_Zappe_All_Plays_WEEK_5_vs_Detroit.gif

Last edited:

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes