PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Words on things I watched, read & heard II

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
I mentioned in another thread

His clock still needs to be a tick faster but he's shown some natural awareness and pocket presence while thrown in fire - middle of year / losing team. Again he plays loose.

Love this kid. He's going to break a return very soon.

Wynn isn't getting enough depth in his sets imo and causing him to get out of position. If you're tackle your butt should always be pointed at the QB. If not you're out of position. Not giving himself much a chance with these drops. I'm his biggest fan but the flags have been killers and his play is average at best this year. Too talented for that nonsense.

Screenshot_20221016-233506_Twitter.jpgScreenshot_20221016-233518_Twitter.jpg

Back foot staying the ground ...

Keeping his outside shoulder clean like an edge.

As we know the draft is funny. Especially immediate post-draft grades. They look great one year and flipped upside down three years later. Trust me as someone who's watched it flip flop year after year. Beckham is on his way to the HOF and a few years later Mike Evans looks like WR1 from that class. Some stuff is obvious, you can see it right away. Good or bad. Again its not easy. That said our class this year is making immediate contributions.

TT had a big impact - bigger than #'s suggested with 2 TD. I had him just missing a 3rd RD grade. I was one of the people who thought he was drafted a round too early but he's had quite a start for a NEP WR in the middle of the year. 3 TD all together and we saw a small glimpse of his speed on his rush TD.

Strange is starting and has been a top 3-5 rookie OL. Solid flashing that athleticism and toughness. He's looking slightly better, more comfortable each game.

Jack Jones is starting and looks like a mini-Asante at times.

Schooler with a FR

Zappe keeping our season alive and looks like a possible starter with some luck and polish. He absolutely has to improve but his poise and attitude are natural.

They might not be the guys you wanted but they're helping us win games immediately. Hats off.

We took advanced of the Browns pressure packages on several plays for TD. The Rham & HH scored both came off the Browns being aggressive vs a good play call. Henry had a nice block on that split zone runs by Rham. TE's showed up today.

Wise also continues to show up and prove his worth. Multiple impact plays in multiple games this year. Key run stuffs. He's been great. DL played head up, old school 34. LB looked better.

Huge win. We're looking up at a few teams for sure but we're not drowning.

I thought the draft was a huge reach...I was wrong. I see Strange develop and then I see how Wynn has imploded and I feel grateful BB had the foresight I lack. TT scared me because of his frame. He's NFL caliber. Huge hit IMO. We'll see if he stays on the field. Fingers crossed. Jack Jones? I mean, who saw this kid's level of maturity and playmaking ability? And Zappe? C'mon, some kid with junk conference stats? They nearly always prove to be wasted picks. Not this kid...he's a winner, that's who he is. Those stats he put up in college? Why NOT here in the NFL. His height bothered me BUT it doesn't seem to bother him.
With this core of picks and next years money PLUS picks, it's put us in a great position to contend with Buffalo in the future. IMHO.

the Wynn miss looks a LOT like the Brown miss later on. I guess that initial burst has gotten Garrett a lot of sacks and pressures. You have to be perfect ALL the time when you play guys like this. One small positional mistake ends up like this.

the Wynn miss looks a LOT like the Brown miss later on. I guess that initial burst has gotten Garrett a lot of sacks and pressures. You have to be perfect ALL the time when you play guys like this. One small positional mistake ends up like this.
We must remember, the other guys are trying too, and sometimes they are just better.

Wynn's first step/slide was a big plus until recently. You can see the hesitation and trying make up for it in his second step. Not sure if he's worried about Myles crossing face or attacking inside but terrible rep from 76.

Garrett has been one of my favorites since college. One of the few guys id trade multiple picks for and pay handsomely. Maybe a little bit of a headcase but he's a top 5-10 defensive player and overall top 25 including QBs. The thought of him and Judon terrorizing QB's is too much. Both guys have an elite first step (although Myles is from another planet) and are so complete in terms of an attack. Inside/outside, hands, bend and hustle.

Lose/Lose was Never meant to be an NFL Tackle; he's a natural Left Guard and should've been Thuney's replacement last year, especially after the brane trust drafted Ronnie Perkins instead of Quinn Meinerz.

Both QB's were bad but I'm not sure why we saw both. That's not what I've come to expect from Bill but he obviously had his reasons. Still he created a problem where there wasn't one imo. And honestly this isn't a hard one. You start your franchise QB when he's ready. You don't when he's clearly struggling to get back up to game speed and a good hit away from being sidelined. Yea that's football but we're talking about our supposed QB1 whos already banged up. Apparently Zappe said he didn't know who was starting until he saw it elsewhere? Not a good look from a veteran like Bill.

Mac didn't look bad but clearly wasn't right on some passes. Little sluggish with his mechanics. He shouldnt have started. That said Mac has something like 21 TO in 23 games. INT tonight was just not what you'd expect from him at this point. The TO from the QB position have to stop. It's become embarrassing.

Now for my guy Zappe. Multiple TO, like 4 batted passes. He has to be quicker getting most balls out. Brisker would have had another pick if it wasn't tipped and then picked by Smith. I said about a week or two ago he wouldn't win the job this year and already had an uphill battle. I love Zappe, had a 3rd on him but he's got a climb. Not a hop, skip and a jump. I value the QB position maybe more than most. If I feel someone has "a chance to start" I take that seriously but he needs an offseason and some real attention to detail plus some to really have a chance. He was bad tonight no way around it but he's done his job for this year so far going 2-1. And if you're going with a 4th RD rookie it's best to go all-in or not at all. The indecision tonight didn't help either guy.

@patfanken I'd like to hear your take on this bc I have a little theory. What's your take on height when it comes to the QB position?

I believe it matters but doesn't and won't necessarily show up in inches. Like it certainly doesn't hurt being 6'4" but we've never really seen great QB's bigger than that. Most great/elite guys are around 6'2-6'4 but we've seen countless bigger guys fail save a few.
Again I believe it matters but not sure there's a difference when it comes to "small" I believe that's where pocket presence, arm angles, timing etc matter much more than 6' or someone who's barely 6'2". Again it doesn't hurt but as someone who's stood behind an OL on very few occasions at 6'4". It's extremely difficult even at that height. I know I'm not a QB, Coach or even player but just speaking to that specific point. It's not easy seeing over an NFL OL averaging 6'4/300+ in an athletic position. Height definitely helps and matters, right? I guess there's a cut-off but again I'm not sure it matters if you're 6'2" or 6'4" It helps but those traits and intangibles will make or break you. Maybe you have some thoughts on that? Any past experiences with your own guys or other teams/players?

Dugger and Barmore were missed tonight. Barmore is really our only constant IDL pressure player demanding attention and Dugger cleans up so much. It's actually scary when you think about it. Front 7 was exposed a little and just brings me back to a post a wrote not too long ago about of front 7/DL. Idk maybe I'll look for it but we're still just scheming or trying to and getting beat when teams make it that kind of game. I know we were shorthanded tonight but no fight up front. We need a running mate for Barmore and Judon up front.

Both Marcus and Jack look like real players with some development.

Some people complained about lack of adjustments but we played man, zone, man-match, zone-match. We had a spy. We just didn't come out ahead the curve and really lacked some fight on all 3 sides. I mean one of the worst teams in the league over the last 2 years just came in your house and smacked you around. Fields best games have come on MNF but we had everything to play for and laid a dud.

Our LB corp needs some serious attention this offseason along with the DL.

Maybe Trent Brown's worst game as a pro.

QB position is clear to me. It's Mac's job this year 100% unless we see special. I love Zappe but Mac's done enough to get a fair shot and we really need to find out if he's special. On the other side you owe it to Zappe to give him a real shot. Mac was drafted 15th from the biggest program around. He needs to work on mechanics, his body, pre/post snap and improve in several other area before reaching "special" imo. So Zappe deserves some time in those spaces too.
The miscommunication was unlike Bill though. From QB to OL no one really knew who would play or play the majority of snaps.

Good thing is the Jets completed like 3 passes over 5 yards and lost their best offensive player.

Both QB's were bad but I'm not sure why we saw both. That's not what I've come to expect from Bill but he obviously had his reasons. Still he created a problem where there wasn't one imo. And honestly this isn't a hard one. You start your franchise QB when he's ready. You don't when he's clearly struggling to get back up to game speed and a good hit away from being sidelined. Yea that's football but we're talking about our supposed QB1 whos already banged up. Apparently Zappe said he didn't know who was starting until he saw it elsewhere? Not a good look from a veteran like Bill.

Mac didn't look bad but clearly wasn't right on some passes. Little sluggish with his mechanics. He shouldnt have started. That said Mac has something like 21 TO in 23 games. INT tonight was just not what you'd expect from him at this point. The TO from the QB position have to stop. It's become embarrassing.

Now for my guy Zappe. Multiple TO, like 4 batted passes. He has to be quicker getting most balls out. Brisker would have had another pick if it wasn't tipped and then picked by Smith. I said about a week or two ago he wouldn't win the job this year and already had an uphill battle. I love Zappe, had a 3rd on him but he's got a climb. Not a hop, skip and a jump. I value the QB position maybe more than most. If I feel someone has "a chance to start" I take that seriously but he needs an offseason and some real attention to detail plus some to really have a chance. He was bad tonight no way around it but he's done his job for this year so far going 2-1. And if you're going with a 4th RD rookie it's best to go all-in or not at all. The indecision tonight didn't help either guy.

@patfanken I'd like to hear your take on this bc I have a little theory. What's your take on height when it comes to the QB position?

I believe it matters but doesn't and won't necessarily show up in inches. Like it certainly doesn't hurt being 6'4" but we've never really seen great QB's bigger than that. Most great/elite guys are around 6'2-6'4 but we've seen countless bigger guys fail save a few.
Again I believe it matters but not sure there's a difference when it comes to "small" I believe that's where pocket presence, arm angles, timing etc matter much more than 6' or someone who's barely 6'2". Again it doesn't hurt but as someone who's stood behind an OL on very few occasions at 6'4". It's extremely difficult even at that height. I know I'm not a QB, Coach or even player but just speaking to that specific point. It's not easy seeing over an NFL OL averaging 6'4/300+ in an athletic position. Height definitely helps and matters, right? I guess there's a cut-off but again I'm not sure it matters if you're 6'2" or 6'4" It helps but those traits and intangibles will make or break you. Maybe you have some thoughts on that? Any past experiences with your own guys or other teams/players?

Dugger and Barmore were missed tonight. Barmore is really our only constant IDL pressure player demanding attention and Dugger cleans up so much. It's actually scary when you think about it. Front 7 was exposed a little and just brings me back to a post a wrote not too long ago about of front 7/DL. Idk maybe I'll look for it but we're still just scheming or trying to and getting beat when teams make it that kind of game. I know we were shorthanded tonight but no fight up front. We need a running mate for Barmore and Judon up front.

Both Marcus and Jack look like real players with some development.

Some people complained about lack of adjustments but we played man, zone, man-match, zone-match. We had a spy. We just didn't come out ahead the curve and really lacked some fight on all 3 sides. I mean one of the worst teams in the league over the last 2 years just came in your house and smacked you around. Fields best games have come on MNF but we had everything to play for and laid a dud.

Our LB corp needs some serious attention this offseason along with the DL.

Maybe Trent Brown's worst game as a pro.

QB position is clear to me. It's Mac's job this year 100% unless we see special. I love Zappe but Mac's done enough to get a fair shot and we really need to find out if he's special. On the other side you owe it to Zappe to give him a real shot. Mac was drafted 15th from the biggest program around. He needs to work on mechanics, his body, pre/post snap and improve in several other area before reaching "special" imo. So Zappe deserves some time in those spaces too.
The miscommunication was unlike Bill though. From QB to OL no one really knew who would play or play the majority of snaps.

Good thing is the Jets completed like 3 passes over 5 yards and lost their best offensive player.

Seems to me if they're going to play Zappe they need to change the blocking scheme so he has clear passing lanes. Otherwise he's going to struggle with batted balls and seeing the whole field.

Seems to me if they're going to play Zappe they need to change the blocking scheme so he has clear passing lanes. Otherwise he's going to struggle with batted balls and seeing the whole field.

Yep, spot-on. Or altered dropbacks, something.

It'd be interesting to look at the pass blocking against Detroit and Cleveland and compare it to tonight. Was it largely the same, and the Bears just did a better job of disrupting the passing lanes? Or was the offensive line doing different things based on different gameplans for different QBs?

I'll watch a bit and see if I notice anything.

It'd be interesting to look at the pass blocking against Detroit and Cleveland and compare it to tonight. Was it largely the same, and the Bears just did a better job of disrupting the passing lanes? Or was the offensive line doing different things based on different gameplans for different QBs?

Same stuff Brees experienced early in his career. There is tape on Zappe now and teams are getting aware of his low release point. They are clogging his lanes and getting their hands up. He will either learn how to move into clear throwing lanes/identify them in getting the ball out or he wont be able to play in the league. If he solves it, then great.

Watching the two I personally prefer the playstyle of Zappe to Mac. Zappe seems to make better reads, move better in the pocket, and get the ball out in tune with the rhythm of the offense. Mac's performance tonight was one of the worst I have ever seen from a quarterback. There seems to be a persistent issue where he cannot get the ball out on timing. If it doesn't work he will check to his back, tuck it, take a sack, or throw it to a safety. And it is every play. It was an issue that seemed to manifest late last season that seems to be regressing rather than improving. I think Zappe is a better quarterback. But I very well could be and hopefully am wrong.

Yes, these adjustments are necessary as with any relatively short QB (think brees). However, This requires a real QB coach and a real OL coach.

Yes, these adjustments are necessary as with any relatively short QB (think brees). However, This requires a real QB coach and a real OL coach.
I'm going to go with the Pats read their press clippings this week and forgot the other guys can play also. I really like Trent Brown. He is very good. But, he wasn't ready for the game mentally. He had a good game against one of the league's best players the previous week. In addition, an unpopular opinion, the Pats need Isiah Wynn. Marcus Cannon is not the answer. He is fine as a spot player or the 6th O lineman as in the Cleveland game. I will predict a nasty response versus the Jets this week.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back