PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Not Us?

There’s a market correction happening right now in the NFC. Those top teams are good, but there won’t be five teams that win 13+ games. Just as people thought before the season, the Packers, Bucs, and Rams are all solid. The Cowboys are better thsn expected but are also cleaning up in a pitiful division. The Cardinals are a bit of a surprise too, but they’re doming back to earth.

The AFC elites will separate too. Chiefs, Bills, Ravens, and maybe the Patriots will join them. A lot of these “contenders” like the Raiders, Chargers, Bengals, etc. fooled everyone again with a few upsets, but they’re going back to their pecking order now.
Although I believe the top two teams in football are in the NFC....that conference is top heavy. There is zero middle class over there. The AFC from top to bottom has better and tougher competition...

Tennessee is balanced, Buffalo's offense is jeckyl and hyde.

Cincy is as talented as anyone but just can't seem to... well...not look like a team from Cincy. The Browns are up and down. Not having Chubbs was a big deal IMO, not 40 points big but they are obviously a much better team with him.

KC is not a team that can fight back IMO. Its just an off year for them, that defense is awful. Mahomes is in struggle-ville despite last night. I don't think he can constantly not gamble. The Raiders are on the cliff, unless Jackson can some how get a GPS signal to his helmet so he knows what direction to run in and save that offense.

The Steelers with a somewhat healthy Ben is more dangerous than KC IMO. There defense is actually solid. The Ravens are up there.

I guess if I had to group them together in the AFC I would go something like this:

Group A
Tennessee
Baltimore
Buffalo
New England

Group B
Pittsburgh
KC
Cleveland

Group C
Cincy
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
Indy
And I guess Denver

The NFC is basically 5 teams and then everyone else
Tampa
Green Bay
Arizona
Dallas
Los Angeles

Maybe add NO's in there...but the QB situation makes it tough.

There’s only one reason Ben Roethlisberger didn’t win in 2004: the unlucky occurrence of having to play an all-time great Patriots team in the postseason. And anyone who thought he lost that game just because he was a rookie must be ignoring the last fifteen years of the Steelers losing to those same Patriots.

There just haven’t been many rookies in position to win a Super Bowl, playing at a high level and on a real contender.

makes sense. When a team lands a great rookie qb it’s usually because they were terrible the previous year and drafted high. Most of them have not spent a lot of $$ through fa either to fill the holes

I touched on this in my thread but Buffalo is hardly a world-beater. Their run game is very shaky at times. They're definitely not committed like us even though they look good on paper. They don't have that mindset or mentality, it's all on Josh Allen. Who's been very good but also inconsistent in some of his decision making as of late.

I really think we can get after their OL, neutralize their running game and make them somewhat one dimensional. Lock up / bracket Diggs.

I know Cleveland was missing two big pieces back there but we kicked their azs in the trenches and they're are a lot scarier than Buffalo on both lines.

No reason we can't compete with them. Man I can't wait for those games!! They should be big boy games in football weather. It's been so F'n long since this rivalry was alive.

Last edited:
I know....

Unlikely.

Long odds.

Why Not Us?

View attachment 37638
Of course i would simply LOVE IT but i will be allready extremely satisfied if we will be able to reach the post season

It would be allready a huge achievement

For sure this looks allready an exciting season

We are in the hunt and in november it is so good to be in this position

We have a good team and dream cost zero

Let's go Pats

I don’t see why not. The AFC isn’t exactly a murderer’s row unless the Queefs really have woken up. The Tits and Bills games will tell us where we really are in the pecking order, but the team is playing some outstanding football on both sides of the ball right now. Especially up front.

I would say that the Pats clearly have a super bowl level pass defense, rush offense, special teams and coaching staff. They may well also have a super bowl level rush defense. If one analyzed their SB chances based on these 5 elements then, yes "why not us" is a definite clear conclusion.

The only question mark is passing offense. Is it sufficient enough to be rated at a super bowl level? Time will tell but it certainly is heading in that direction? If this trend continues then, this team very clearly has the personnel to be considered a strong SB caliber team.

still a lot of football to play, still a lot of season ending injuries to important players to happen, thats how it goes you can't tell who will be in the SB, but the Pats seem to get a momentum and getting better as the season progresses, why not? I'd take it

I would say that the Pats clearly have a super bowl level pass defense, rush offense, special teams and coaching staff. They may well also have a super bowl level rush defense. If one analyzed their SB chances based on these 5 elements then, yes "why not us" is a definite clear conclusion.

The only question mark is passing offense. Is it sufficient enough to be rated at a super bowl level? Time will tell but it certainly is heading in that direction? If this trend continues then, this team very clearly has the personnel to be considered a strong SB caliber team.
If the passing offense consistently makes the plays they made yesterday would that be sufficient?

I don’t see why not. The AFC isn’t exactly a murderer’s row unless the Queefs really have woken up. The Tits and Bills games will tell us where we really are in the pecking order, but the team is playing some outstanding football on both sides of the ball right now. Especially up front.

I think the AFC is very similar to last year, despite a handful of upsets to lead us to think otherwise. The difference is the Chiefs are no longer in another tier and the obvious conference favorites. They may still be the slight favorite in any given matchup, but they're not special. The other difference is the Patriots are essentially what they were expected to be going into last year: a team no one wants to play, even if they're not 14-2.

But overall, the Chiefs (downgraded, but still there), Bills, and Ravens are still the top contenders with the Patriots having an outside shot. The Titans are pretenders whose record is better than their playoff outlook due to Tannehill. The Steelers are likley a wild card team. The Raiders, Chargers, Browns, Bengals, are ankle biters. Not much has actually changed despite it looking like a big shakeup.

Although I believe the top two teams in football are in the NFC....that conference is top heavy. There is zero middle class over there. The AFC from top to bottom has better and tougher competition...

Tennessee is balanced, Buffalo's offense is jeckyl and hyde.

Cincy is as talented as anyone but just can't seem to... well...not look like a team from Cincy. The Browns are up and down. Not having Chubbs was a big deal IMO, not 40 points big but they are obviously a much better team with him.

KC is not a team that can fight back IMO. Its just an off year for them, that defense is awful. Mahomes is in struggle-ville despite last night. I don't think he can constantly not gamble. The Raiders are on the cliff, unless Jackson can some how get a GPS signal to his helmet so he knows what direction to run in and save that offense.

The Steelers with a somewhat healthy Ben is more dangerous than KC IMO. There defense is actually solid. The Ravens are up there.

I guess if I had to group them together in the AFC I would go something like this:

Group A
Tennessee
Baltimore
Buffalo
New England

Group B
Pittsburgh
KC
Cleveland

Group C
Cincy
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
Indy
And I guess Denver

The NFC is basically 5 teams and then everyone else
Tampa
Green Bay
Arizona
Dallas
Los Angeles

Maybe add NO's in there...but the QB situation makes it tough.

Good tiers overall. However, I just can't put Tennessee in Group A and Kansas City in Group B. Tennessee may get the #1 seed, but Tannehill will prevent them from being a real contender. I have more confidence in Jones because I'll take the unknown over the known flaw.

I think the AFC is very similar to last year, despite a handful of upsets to lead us to think otherwise. The difference is the Chiefs are no longer in another tier and the obvious conference favorites. They may still be the slight favorite in any given matchup, but they're not special. The other difference is the Patriots are essentially what they were expected to be going into last year: a team no one wants to play, even if they're not 14-2.

But overall, the Chiefs (downgraded, but still there), Bills, and Ravens are still the top contenders with the Patriots having an outside shot. The Titans are pretenders whose record is better than their playoff outlook due to Tannehill. The Steelers are likley a wild card team. The Raiders, Chargers, Browns, Bengals, are ankle biters. Not much has actually changed despite it looking like a big shakeup.
Based on what?

show your work…

Good tiers overall. However, I just can't put Tennessee in Group A and Kansas City in Group B. Tennessee may get the #1 seed, but Tannehill will prevent them from being a real contender. I have more confidence in Jones because I'll take the unknown over the known flaw.
The Tennessee Tuxedos have a fairly easy schedule the rest of the way but I still don't think going to the SB is a realistic goal for them.

I can see the Queefs going 11-6. Same as us.

Last edited:
Based on what?

show your work…

Was it not clear this is my opinion? I stated that Tannehill is the reason I think Tennessee is a pretender. Otherwise, besides the Titans, the AFC Championship odds have Buffalo, Kansas City, and Baltimore. They've also been the most successful teams overall since 2019. And they all currently lead their divisions.

Not sure where the disagreement here is that these three teams are the AFC favorites other than the more disputed Tennessee. Unless you're saying the Patriots aren't just "outside shot" material. I think I'm ranking the Patriots pretty darn well, though, as I think they're more likely to win it than Tennessee.

The Tennessee Tuxedos have a fairly easy schedule the rest of the way but I still don't think going to the SB is a realistic goal for them.

I can see the Queefs going 11-6. Same as us.
You surely mean 12-5 dude...and that's if we split the Bills games. I know still have Miami in Miami but they will be out for revenge. I don't see them losing to the Colts. So unless they drop 2 out of 3 to the Tits and Jills then 12-5 should be the worst case scenario. And if they drop 2 out if 3 then the case for them making the SB becomes a bit less.

You surely mean 12-5 dude...and that's if we split the Bills games. I know still have Miami in Miami but they will be out for revenge. I don't see them losing to the Colts. So unless they drop 2 out of 3 to the Tits and Jills then 12-5 should be the worst case scenario. And if they drop 2 out if 3 then the case for them making the SB becomes a bit less.
12-5 is very possible but I see a 1 loss to the Jills and another loss somewhere. Hope i'm wrong.

I see two more losses. Split with the Bills and the Colts or Miami as a loss. But hey 11-7 is a great season and we can beat anybody come playoff time. There's no true elite team this year in the AFC

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back