PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is the next biggest AFC threat after KC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ravens IMO because of their D..Jags D is falling off a cliff right now. Steelers still suck...so I would say Ravens

You know they lost to the Browns, right?

I'll say Baltimore. Steelers maybe, if they sneak into the playoffs. I would say Bengals, but playoff Marvin.

The problem is the Ravens, somehow, find a way to play us really well. Let's just hope they don't play us in the playoffs. Even in 2007 remember how bad the Ravens were, and how we pulled that miracle win in the end? That was the closest win of the season, within one idiotic Rex Ryan time out of losing.

So....I never undersell the Ravens, their defense always gives us fits.

You are using something from over 10 years ago. They have not won against this team since the 2012 AFCCG and people still are borderline scared about things that happened like 2-3 team rebuilds ago.

If you to make it about their current talent on defense and Flacco not completely vomitting over himself then be my guest. That is at least a rational discussion. But bringing things up far in the past with the only thing in common being the same team colors and uniforms is silly to me.

I think you may be slightly misremembering the past couple of meetings. The Pats had to come back from two different 14 point deficits (one in the 4th quarter) to advance in the AFC divisional playoffs in Jan 2015.

They’ve met once since then, and although NE went up big early, it was still a 23-20 game halfway through the 4th quarter. In my opinion, the Ravens are still a bit of a tough out since they’ve proven that they can win in big games on the road. I’m not going to get my panties in a bunch worrying about them, but they could be viewed as one of those pain in the ass type of teams, especially when January hits.

I am not misremembering anything. They started fast on offense in the postseason game in 2015 but got shut down hard in the second half. Was it a close game ? Sure. Did they win ? Nope.

The 2016 MNF was a blowout even if the score doesn't reflect that story. Two turnovers on kickoffs within 14 seconds gave them 14 points for free and still they could not do anything with it. Hell the moment it got close Brady / McDaniels totally owned them with a simple Go route to Hogan.

The opinions of people follow silly narratives so much it is frustrating. Assuming certain teams will not be a danger because "their coaches choke in the playoffs" be it KC or the Bengals. But at the same time people crap their pants because of historic reasons.

The only thing that matters are the 2018 teams. If you feel like they can be a challenge because of matchups or their relative strengths vs. our weakness then great thats a conversation worth having. But please spare me this "they always play us tough" BS because it has zero effect on the 2018 teams and has lost any impact whatsoever given how one-sided the entire affair has been.

I'll say Baltimore. Steelers maybe, if they sneak into the playoffs. I would say Bengals, but playoff Marvin.
Steelers will compete for the division. They’re only a half game out right now, and that’s with Bell sitting out. They’d have the same record as us had it not been for the tie in week one.

Hard to take Cincy seriously—ever. I think we could easily see the loser of the AFCN get in with a WC berth, whether that is Pittsburgh or Baltimore.

Last edited:
I am not misremembering anything. They started fast on offense in the postseason game in 2015 but got shut down hard in the second half. Was it a close game ? Sure. Did they win ? Nope.

The 2016 MNF was a blowout even if the score doesn't reflect that story. Two turnovers on kickoffs within 14 seconds gave them 14 points for free and still they could not do anything with it. Hell the moment it got close Brady / McDaniels totally owned them with a simple Go route to Hogan.

The opinions of people follow silly narratives so much it is frustrating. Assuming certain teams will not be a danger because "their coaches choke in the playoffs" be it KC or the Bengals. But at the same time people crap their pants because of historic reasons.

The only thing that matters are the 2018 teams. If you feel like they can be a challenge because of matchups or their relative strengths vs. our weakness then great thats a conversation worth having. But please spare me this "they always play us tough" BS because it has zero effect on the 2018 teams and has lost any impact whatsoever given how one-sided the entire affair has been.
Experienced QBs who can win on the road in the postseason can be tough, especially paired with a decent defense. While I don’t necessarily agree with the idea that they haven’t done anything versus us in over 5 years due to the two close, one score games, I think you make a fair point that every season is different.

That all said, I never agree with the thought of looking past teams, unless they’re the Cincinnati Bengals. It’s difficult not to look past the Bengals.

Any of KC, JAX, PIT, BAL, and even SD can pose challenges to the Pats for various reasons.

Experienced QBs who can win on the road in the postseason can be tough, especially paired with a decent defense. While I don’t necessarily agree with the idea that they haven’t done anything versus us in over 5 years due to the two close, one score games, I think you make a fair point that every season is different.

There was one close game in 5 years. In the other one they were down 20. Then our kickoff return unit fumbled twice in 14 seconds gifting them 14 points. Then we scored again and the game was over.

Any of KC, JAX, PIT, BAL, and even SD can pose challenges to the Pats for various reasons.

I agree with that. My peeve is only with people using this "they are always giving us trouble" narrative and also it's ******ed cousins the "we own this team so they won't be an issue" or "their coach chokes in the playoff" narrative. None of this matters. Matchups matter. Schemes matter.

Personally I don't think the Ravens have the firepower to keep up with our offense and the rule changes have castrated defenses to a point where "great" defenses are not as daunting anymore.

Unless a string of injuries hits us on offense I don't see anyone except KC and SD being able to keep up with this team. At this point I am not convinced Jacksonville makes the playoffs.

There was one close game in 5 years. In the other one they were down 20. Then our kickoff return unit fumbled twice in 14 seconds gifting them 14 points. Then we scored again and the game was over.
However the score became 23-20 halfway through the 4th quarter seems to be irrelevant to me, but not to you. The score was what it was, which was a close game halfway through the last quarter. I’m not going to make up excuses for why they played poorly due to turnovers or whatever. If you don’t care for that particular game, there’s plenty of other examples like:

—2014 postseason

—2012 season where they beat us twice

—2011 postseason which came down to a Billy Cundiff missed chip shot FG

—2010 which was another 23-20 game in OT

—2009 season where they stomped us in the playoffs at home, and the regular season produced another 27-21 game where they held us to 319 total yards while running for 116 against us

—2007 season that almost ruined the 16-0 had it not been for Rex Ryan’s time out

I don’t know about you, but I’m seeing a pretty obvious pattern of close games here. They have the same head coach (ditto NE), the same QB (ditto NE), the same main defensive player in Suggs, and are one of the few (if any) teams that have proven that they can use the same philosophy and play us tough on a consistent basis. Aside from one game, they’ve all been very close since 2007. I think that’s a bit different than just pointing to the colors they wear.

However the score became 23-20 halfway through the 4th quarter seems to be irrelevant to me, but not to you. The score was what it was, which was a close game halfway through the last quarter. I’m not going to make up excuses for why they played poorly due to turnovers or whatever. If you don’t care for that particular game, there’s plenty of other examples like:

—2014 postseason

—2012 season where they beat us twice

—2011 postseason which came down to a Billy Cundiff missed chip shot FG

—2010 which was another 23-20 game in OT

—2009 season where they stomped us in the playoffs at home, and the regular season produced another 27-21 game where they held us to 319 total yards while running for 116 against us

—2007 season that almost ruined the 16-0 had it not been for Rex Ryan’s time out

I don’t know about you, but I’m seeing a pretty obvious pattern of close games here. They have the same head coach (ditto NE), the same QB (ditto NE), the same main defensive player in Suggs, and are one of the few (if any) teams that have proven that they can use the same philosophy and play us tough on a consistent basis. Aside from one game, they’ve all been very close since 2007. I think that’s a bit different than just pointing to the colors they wear.

The Ravens did nothing the entire game, were down 20 and then within 14 seconds got 14 points delivered to them. And when the score got close the Patriots closed the door with a deep TD. This game was never close but pure domination on defense and offense even if the score doesn't reflect that because of 14 freaky seconds.

You are falling into the same trap as many others always bringing up historic stats. The 2012 teams were 2-3 team rebuilds + 2 full NFL rule iterations ago. Who cares ? The only thing those teams have in common with the 2018 team are the team colors and Harbaugh as coach. Even the coordinators are almost all different.

None of this has any meaning or use for a game in 2018.

Stop being intellectually lazy and if you think that the Ravens are a threat this year then argue for why their 2018 team is dangerous and don't base your arguments around things that are 5-10 years old.

The only regular season win for the Ravens, was the one where their kicker missed the FG, and the replacement ref called it good.

Stop being intellectually lazy and if you think that the Ravens are a threat this year then argue for why their 2018 team is dangerous and don't base your arguments around things that are 5-10 years old.
The fact remains that no other opponent has played the BB/TB era New England Patriots this tough on such a consistent basis for such a long period of time. I think you’d have to include Denver in that grouping since they’ve won more games, but I don’t know if they’ve been as consistent and they sure as hell didn’t do it in the playoffs on our home field. It totally mitigates the idea of home field advantage. They won in 2009 and 2012, and almost did it again in 2011 and 2014. They’re a tough out for us.

We’ve seen plenty of examples in sports over the years where teams meet up as postseason rivals—even if it’s years later. Why is this any different to you? More importantly, how is this “intellectually lazy?” I cited numerous examples over the years in different eras for both teams. Whatever they’re doing to adapt has obviously allowed them to stay highly competitive against our team, as the scores show. It’s as simple as that, hands down.

Last edited:
You are using something from over 10 years ago. They have not won against this team since the 2012 AFCCG and people still are borderline scared about things that happened like 2-3 team rebuilds ago.

If you to make it about their current talent on defense and Flacco not completely vomitting over himself then be my guest. That is at least a rational discussion. But bringing things up far in the past with the only thing in common being the same team colors and uniforms is silly to me.

This. Are we still supposed to be scared of the Jets and Giants too? Those Bills used to kill us in the 80s and 90s.

However the score became 23-20 halfway through the 4th quarter seems to be irrelevant to me, but not to you. The score was what it was,
You don't get to say 'the score was what it was' in one post, and in the other pretend that the Steelers are actually 4-2.

I think you may be slightly misremembering the past couple of meetings. The Pats had to come back from two different 14 point deficits (one in the 4th quarter) to advance in the AFC divisional playoffs in Jan 2015.

They’ve met once since then, and although NE went up big early, it was still a 23-20 game halfway through the 4th quarter. In my opinion, the Ravens are still a bit of a tough out since they’ve proven that they can win in big games on the road. I’m not going to get my panties in a bunch worrying about them, but they could be viewed as one of those pain in the ass type of teams, especially when January hits.
Any team that has a good defense is going to be a tough out in January. Unless their defense falls apart, they’ll qualify as being such a team.

Never count out the Steelers...they always seem to be there at the end.
This is a common misperception.
Would it surprise you to know the Steelers have only won 3 playoff games in the last 7 years? One was a wc game that Cincinnati handed them. Aside from that game that they followed up with a loss, the only playoff wins in 7 years were in 2016 when they won 2 before we trounced them in the afccg.
In the other 5 years they had 3 one and dones and 2 no playoffs.
So really they were only there at the end once in 7 years.

The fact remains that no other opponent has played the BB/TB era New England Patriots this tough on such a consistent basis for such a long period of time. I think you’d have to include Denver in that grouping since they’ve won more games, but I don’t know if they’ve been as consistent and they sure as hell didn’t do it in the playoffs on our home field. It totally mitigates the idea of home field advantage. They won in 2009 and 2012, and almost did it again in 2011 and 2014. They’re a tough out for us.

We’ve seen plenty of examples in sports over the years where teams meet up as postseason rivals—even if it’s years later. Why is this any different to you? More importantly, how is this “intellectually lazy?” I cited numerous examples over the years in different eras for both teams. Whatever they’re doing to adapt has obviously allowed them to stay highly competitive against our team, as the scores show. It’s as simple as that, hands down.
We don’t play the laundry.
A game in 2009 has absolutely nothing to do with 2018.

The ravens and patriots philosophies clash and it usually makes for a good game when the teams have the talent.

The teams are similarly built the way they were in the past

Ravens & Jags. Defense. Defense. Defense.

PIT, in theory is a threat because of the “names” but they DO NOT beat us. Anytime we have lost a big game in the TB/BB era it’s ONLY BEEN TO VERY GOOD/ GREAT DEFENSES!

OR

The Bills with THIS version of Derek Anderson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes