PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who deserves more blame for losing the Super Bowl?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who deserves more blame? Jimmy G or Garappolo

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Florio wrote an article about the no-call personal foul penalty on the sidelines against JG with about 9:30 left in the game. If they make that call, SF gets a fresh set of downs and eats up another few minutes. I don’t know how bad it is because FOX never bothered to show the replay, but I thought that it was a penalty in real time.

It was the same play as the extremely obvious offsides penalty. You can probably count on one finger the number of times and a d-lineman jumped over the line just before the snap and it wasn’t called this season. I mean, this is the realm of batsh1t crazy not to call that. Yes, it was impossible to tell whether JG got hit in bounds or out of bounds. It’s a black and white rule. Jonathan Jones just hammered Jared Goff in last year’s SB. If he’s oob first it’s a penalty. If his foot is three inches from the boundary but not touching it, it’s fair game.

The helmet to helmet on JG was another absurdly bad call, like “how could you possibly not see this???” Ref standing right there. JG got up after the play and the ref started with the “huh? I didn’t see it” talk, it appeared from body language. You didn’t see a helmet to helmet hit on a QB where the face masks smash into each other? Another one that gets called almost every time.

Chiefs problem is they are undisciplined. Letting the players play is BS here....the Chiefs got off the hook for basically every non-judgment call penalty. That’s not what “let them play” means.

Florio wrote an article about the no-call personal foul penalty on the sidelines against JG with about 9:30 left in the game. If they make that call, SF gets a fresh set of downs and eats up another few minutes. I don’t know how bad it is because FOX never bothered to show the replay, but I thought that it was a penalty in real time.

There was another no-call where a SF receiver was clearly out of bounds and a KC defender delivered an obvious unnecessary hit after the play was over.

I don't think there was a pro-KC fix or anything I think it was that the refs desperately didn't want to be a part of the conversation after the game was over so they let a ton of extra-curricular **** go down. Still, that was complete BS and would have altered the game undeniably.

There was another no-call where a SF receiver was clearly out of bounds and a KC defender delivered an obvious unnecessary hit after the play was over.

I don't think there was a pro-KC fix or anything I think it was that the refs desperately didn't want to be a part of the conversation after the game was over so they let a ton of extra-curricular **** go down. Still, that was complete BS and would have altered the game undeniably.
All of this talk is really helping me get over the half-cashed ticket that I had for SF, last night.

Early in the 4th, they needed to keep Mahomes off the field, control the ball and run them down. Rushing game was fantastic for three quarters, at some point they converted 3 straight runs for 10+ yards between Mostert and Coleman... have no idea why they kept shootin with Jimmy later on, it looked desperate.
Mahomes was also desperate on a couple of throws but well, nobody will remember that in a week, unfortunately.

Letting all of this go down, though (except for a very questionable OPI call against SF) was a huge advantage for KC. Their team is undisciplined so got away with loads of calls at critical times. A blatant false start, a blatant offsides, a helmet to helmet, an obvious holding call on a critical play, a late hit out of bounds (or two). Discipline is part of the game too.

The cherry on top was during the 49ers last gasp of the game, they whistled Garoppolo “in the grasp” and the ref just couldn’t wait to blow it dead. So, are they letting them play or not? That was a weak call. He still had the ball in his arm to throw a pass...have seen many QBs throw the ball despite being tackled like that. It’s about player safety, but they decided not flag a blatant helmet to helmet in Q4.

-Jimmy G for missing a few lay-ups.

-Shanahan for neglecting the run up 20-10 in the 4th quarter.

Mosley blew the coverage on 3rd and 15 prayer to Hill. Could’ve been a different game had that not happened.

In fairness, we can't really pin that on Mosley, he wasn't in man coverage. Salah deserves a big share of the blame for sticking to a zone scheme even when it wasn't working.

You just can't play zone against KC when you're trying to hold a lead. Mahomes is very good at feeling out where the holes are going to be.

This is why we had so many DB's. We were built to stop KC.

I blame whomever allowed the 49ers defense to play prevent and let Sammy Watkins run a train all over Sherman. The 49ers defense let Damien Williams run up the side for a uncontested TD to take a 3-pt lead with 2:33 left in the 4th. Just so, so dumb. It was obvious they were targeting Sherman. He was just so bad and they exploited him.

Shanahan DEFINITELY has some blame. But it came down to situational football and for 49ers just let their foot of the gas thinking the Chiefs wouldn't be able to score.
You mad, bro?
https%3A%2F%2Fs.yimg.com%2Fos%2Fcreatr-images%2F2020-02%2Fe784ac30-4693-11ea-bdd7-7dad401e6386

To summarize:

-10-10, 2nd quarter, 1:50 to go
- you have 3 timeouts
- you're receiving the ball to start the 2nd half and KC is punting with the clock running.

And you DON'T play to take advantage of that until 3rd and long with 9 seconds when all of a sudden you huck it way down field??????????

Forget about the 4th quarter.........Shanahan shouldn't have been allowed back on the sidelines for the 2nd half.

Last edited:
To summarize:

-10-10, 2nd quarter, 1:50 to go
- you have 3 timeouts
- you're receiving the ball to start the 2nd half and KC is punting with the clock running.

And you DON'T play to take advantage of that until 3rd and long with 9 seconds when all of a sudden you huck it way down field??????????

Forget about the 4th quarter.........Shanahan shouldn't have been allowed back on the sidelines for the 2nd half.

But the chances were that SF would be pinned back inside the 15 or maybe even near the goal line. If they’d known the punt would be a touch back, I’m sure they’d have played it differently. I thought they handled the clock okay there with what they could expect at the time. Calling a TO, getting the ball deep in your territory, and then going 3 and out would have been disastrous.

But the chances were that SF would be pinned back inside the 15 or maybe even near the goal line. If they’d known the punt would be a touch back, I’m sure they’d have played it differently. I thought they handled the clock okay there with what they could expect at the time. Calling a TO, getting the ball deep in your territory, and then going 3 and out would have been disastrous.

.....that wasn't all, though. They followed THAT by running two straight plays right into the line and bled over a minute more off the clock........

And then chucked it downfield on a play that would've picked up mega yards if not for a controversial OPI.

There was no rhyme or reason to anything in that sequence and shows pretty clearly that Shanahan was all over the place in deciding what to do.

Did I mention, they were also going to receive the kickoff at the start of the second half?

That's as close as it comes to playing with house money in a tie game.

Last edited:

Can't help but agree that Shanahan-Garoppolo isn't going to work.

Can't help but agree that Shanahan-Garoppolo isn't going to work.

They are totally unsuited for each other. SF needs a robotic type of QB like Matt Ryan who is told exactly where to put the ball. Jimmy G. back in New England would be awesome...he would thrive.

Seems the problem with Shanahan, McVeigh, LaFleur, the three guys with these revolutionary, and analytics-based approach, is that they handcuff the QB too much. The QB will at some point need to win the game for you and use his instincts.

Saw epic flameouts with Garoppolo, Goff, and Rodgers in these systems.

Seems the problem with Shanahan, McVeigh, LaFleur, the three guys with these revolutionary, and analytics-based approach, is that they handcuff the QB too much. The QB will at some point need to win the game for you and use his instincts.

Saw epic flameouts with Garoppolo, Goff, and Rodgers in these systems.
Can’t blame Shanahan for Garoppolo missing throws and reads pro QBs should make. Look at that game review posted earlier in the thread. He had many open guys at key moments and didn’t make the play. Kettle had multiple plays where he was wide open and on the game changing 3rd and 5 Jimmy G had a guy crossing wide open and threw the ball away. He was horrible down the stretch.

Patrick Mahomes.

...The Chiefs are a lot like the NFL version of the Warriors. They are fun to watch, explosive, and most importantly led by one of the most marketable athletes possible. In addition to his other worldly talent, Patrick Mahomes looks like Steph Curry...he hits all the demographics for mass popularity. I hope this isn’t coming across as racist. It’s a marketing fact that his heritage, like Steph, reaches every demographic possible, and the NBA hit sky high with Steph. It’s not a stretch to say the NFL would likely love to see him as the new face of the league. Honestly, so would I. The guy is incredible and fun as heck to watch; he does things we’ve never seen QBs do and is likeable. I just hope there isn’t some subconscious bias from the officials in also rooting for the guy. KC may be small market, but this will be heck of a bandwagon they’ll get, and it will be must-see TV...
I agree that this is exactly why Park Avenue is pimping Paddy Mahomies...but I disagree that he somehow has to automatically be described as Likable...because he actually isn't.

I agree that this is exactly why Park Avenue is pimping Paddy Mahomies...but I disagree that he somehow has to automatically be described as Likable...because he actually isn't.

Everyone is likeable at first to the public. Even Curry went from the most universally popular to the most polarizing/hated player in the NBA.

The only answer is Jimmy who castes how Kyle called the game even at the end he made a perfect play call had Sanders all by himself and this fool misses by 10 yds. Add him missing Kittle I’m 3rd for a TD when he was alone and missing Kittle again by himself on 3rd down having to settle for a FG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down