PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which direction should we go in for QB next season?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What direction should we go in for QB next season?

• Keep Cam

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Trade for Matt Stafford or Watson

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Pick a rookie in the draft

Votes: 70 84.3%

• Total voters
is josh allen a serviceable starter remains to be seen.......gotta have the roster around him, i think that bills roster was exposed to a certain extent
Allen is very good. But last night proved his decision making is a work in progress plus he gets rattled and that's not a good thing if you want a QB that can carry a team on his back.

Stuff like this is a sign of a QB that might not have what it takes to stay calm and cool in the face of adversity. It's not the first time either.

The reason I think the BB vs TB argument is stupid is because I think BB developed TB12 as a player, he wouldnt be who he is today without Bill. Maybe we can develop another QB by picking one in the draft? Or do you think we should trade for a veteran?
Brady was doing Brady in Michigan, and won his first Super Bowl with the “development” a back up gets. BB didn’t make Brady, and it’s delusional to think you can just have Belichick “develop” another one.

We should draft but you’re never going to see another Tom Brady ever again.

Didn't realize that Garoppolo is going to be cut. I thought he was trade bait. But with his contract, no one is going to take him on in a trade during a cap strapped year. AND also the 49ers don't improve their cap by trading him. They take the same hit whether he's traded or cut.

All signs point to a cut, therefore.

So how much would you pay him in a cash strapped year?

I say $15m with incentives to get him up to $18m.

get an average QB in FA and then draft someone like Purdy later. We need speed and talent at the WR position and if we pass on Waddle or Smith then we deserve what we get.

I think we should sign someone who can play the position. That alone would be a significant improvement.

Kiper says Mac Jones to Pats at #15.

Please no.

My first choice would be to try and trade up in the draft. However there are no guarantees that we can do that and secure our guy, and I also think we will struggle to attract top free agents unless we have resolved the QB situation early in free agency. Therefore I think BB will go the veteran route. My preference would be to bring Jimmy back - perhaps for a 3rd rounder. We could agree a trade in principle ahead of free agency. I have interest in Stafford but I am slightly put off by the price tag. If we can't secure Jimmy I wouldn't hate giving up a 1st for Stafford but I have something gnawing at me inside that he's on the downslide and it may be viewed as a Sanu type situation in year or two.

Didn't realize that Garoppolo is going to be cut. I thought he was trade bait. But with his contract, no one is going to take him on in a trade during a cap strapped year. AND also the 49ers don't improve their cap by trading him. They take the same hit whether he's traded or cut.

All signs point to a cut, therefore.

So how much would you pay him in a cash strapped year?

I say $15m with incentives to get him up to $18m.
My guess of the likelihood him signing for $15M with $3M of incentives is 0.05%

Draft a QB in the 1st round and play him. Use the saved money from that to get FA and build the team. A 1st round QB is rarely is a miss these days . The issue is with that is they will have no QB until the draft on the roster which is scary.

Draft a QB in the 1st round and play him. Use the saved money from that to get FA and build the team. A 1st round QB is rarely is a miss these days . The issue is with that is they will have no QB until the draft on the roster which is scary.
Not to single you out too much but I read this opinion over and over again and it’s just wrong on so many levels. Why is what round a player is drafted matter? Would Brady have been any better a player if he was drafted #1 overall instead of #199 like he would be in a redraft of the 2000 draft? I would in fact argue he might have been worse based on personality, as he used that slight as fuel to work harder. Now Brady is the biggest outlier in draft history so not a reasonable comparison you might say, fair enough.

Let’s go to this years draft and say the big 4 are off the board at 15. Is Mac Jones a better player because he was taken in the first round instead of, let’s assume a small trade up in the 2nd is necessary, at pick 40? No in fact he is worse because now he costs you 5 million a year instead of 1. All a draft pick represents is potential. As soon as you assign a name to that pick there is now a set benefit to that pick. Assume the TE Pitt is still there at 15 and goes on to have a 7time pro bowl career, the only thing picking Jones does is have people post draft question why you passed on him. As soon as you draft a position, even as important as QB, instead of the player who will help your team the most, you start a slippery slide to becoming the Jets.

Now to your last comment that first round QBs rarely miss. Please tell me you don’t actually believe that? It’s a 50/50 shot at best and I would bet you a lot that at least one of the top 4 is going to be a bust and even then that would make it a hell of a draft class as it’s more likely 2 or 3 of them will not live up to their draft status. Let’s look at the best class in the past 20 years 2004. Eli, Big Ben, and Rivers. How happy would you be with one of those 3? 2 SBs with Eli or Ben and a long career of just good enough to give you hope in Rivers. Far more typical is 2017 with Trubisky, Watson, Kizer, and Mahomes. Underwhelming starter, great player that does nothing adding to wins, total bust, and best qb in the game. 2016 was Goff, Wentz, and Lynch, nothing special there. 2015 Winston and Mariota, again nothing special. 2014 Bortles, Manziel, and Bridgewater where the best one was drafted last and even he is alright at best.

2012 is probably the best comparison to this year in that you have the generational talent in Luck, a interesting debate for number 2 in Griffin, with solid starters in Tanahill and Weeden. Luck was good but never in the discussion for best in the league, Griffin got hurt and is hanging on as a crap back up, Weeden was a huge bust, and Tanahill is currently the best of the bunch. My point is no QB taken is a sure thing no matter where you draft them and wasting a ton of draft capital for a “sure thing” is a waste of resources. You are better off building a super team while you keep trying to find the next Brady, Wilson, Warner, hell even Dak.

Whenever Bill has a position to fill he drafts one, brings in a value vet and also an UDFA pick to cover all bases. Doesn’t matter the position. You never rely on one avenue.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back