PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which direction should we go in for QB next season?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What direction should we go in for QB next season?

• Keep Cam

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Trade for Matt Stafford or Watson

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Pick a rookie in the draft

Votes: 70 84.3%

• Total voters
Financially, it makes the most sense to draft a QB and sign a low cost bridge vet (I would sign Fitz).

only if that QB you draft develops into a viable starter, though......is that viability there, with so many other needs......i'm sure they'll draft a QB at some point, but......

i honestly think this is the year to find a bridge QB and build the rest of the roster.......someone could slide into their laps, but i just don't see the young QB to build around coming in via the draft

that being said, IF the 49ers and colts are as bullish on win now as they appear to be, the notion of a jimmy G return could be interesting....he's young enough that a run could be built around him that is fairly sustainable......i really think what those two teams decide to do, and if they are both players in the trade for a vet market, it could be really a possibility that i think i'd be ok with.......if his numbers work

Why are these poll options so narrow, and why are Stafford and Watson in the same choice? I don't necessarily want to do any of the above. Whatever the best value is, whether that's a free agent, trade, a draft pick, or a combination of those, that's what I want.

Trading for a QB like Stafford would be dumb. He is not an elite QB that will put you over the top into contention for a SB. Keep the 15th pick and start improving the young talent on this team.

Sign a FA QB and keep drafting QB's until you find one that will perform at a high level.

Trading for a QB like Stafford would be dumb. He is not an elite QB that will put you over the top into contention for a SB. Keep the 15th pick and start improving the young talent on this team.

Sign a FA QB and keep drafting QB's until you find one that will perform at a high level.

If you're waiting for another Tom Brady then you're going to be dead before he comes along again.

How can people watch this putrid offense then not consider Stafford a serious upgrade?

A
Sign a bridge qb and draft the future
This... And cam newton was not a bridge QB... He was a last minute I'm getting a steal of a deal on a dude that might be able to run and throw...

Might being the keyword.

I think fitz, stafford, Rodgers(weird) Watson... Any of them would be better than a straight up rookie. However washed up they may be they can get the pats to the bridge with a good rookie in tow...

Look at the steelers or saints... That could be two more organizations that need a QB...

The draft is going to be qb dependent... Hiring an old sould with proven talent is stillngoing to be a difficult task... But trying to make a winner out of newton was like trying to get a homeless guy a haircut and a fresh suit and expect him to hold down a job. BB knew this... And I think knew this year was going to be garbage ... 7 wins with these players was actually a pretty big feat.

This is BB s time to shine...

senior bowl is going to be interesting...i've got to assume lawrence, fields, wilson and lance are gone at 15......i don't think jones or trask are worthy of the 15......and both will be gone in the 1st round? especially if New Orleans enters the QB market, and potentially the steelers as well?

there's some intriguing 2nd tier guys i guess......

maybe BB will take a 6th round flyer on zac thomas hahahaha

there's some interesting guys to watch for next year though

guys like dustin crum or kenny prickett could prove interesting next year....won't be top flight guys, but going to be interesting to see where they end up

Most dude like stidham... Will be all on the same team... Riding the pine

Sign a bridge qb and draft the future
Yes, this seems very, very obvious. Of course, who we draft will depend on where the veterans go long before the draft. SO, there is little to speak of other than perhaps discussing whether we want to try to trade into the top 8 to get one of the top four, or which of the 2 remaining we might chose at 15 or whenever.
==========
LET"S DISCUSS OUR 2-3 VETERAN QUARTERBACK
Someone is going to come in (likely in the first month, or first day) of the new season. As I read our comments, no one is good enough for our team. We MUST have someone better than Ryan or Stafford. really?

No one seems to be willing to pay the $30M for Dak even if he is available.

The going rate for a QB might be $25M, rather the $35M-$40M that the market was reaching. But no matter, perhaps we will only pay $20M. It seems that we have two options: a trade and free agents. I suggest that we should understand that Mahomes, Brees, Brady and Rodgers are not going to start for us. We are not going to have players who some team will eat $50M of cap room just to let us have their QB.

Who should we expect or hope for as patriot QB on April 1st.

Find the best QB in the draft and go after him. Groom him to start the season, even if it's a little rough. Stop-gaps don't work.

Find the best QB in the draft and go after him. Groom him to start the season, even if it's a little rough. Stop-gaps don't work.

after the first 4, not sure there is one that will be a full time starter in the NFL over their career, let alone ready to go this season

realistically most in the NFL plan for a 3-4 year window.....maybe 5 if you get lucky with a young QB or a slew of young talent that all hits......but you really can't feasibly plan for a build window longer than that, it's just not realistic......

after the first 4, not sure there is one that will be a full time starter in the NFL over their career, let alone ready to go this season

realistically most in the NFL plan for a 3-4 year window.....maybe 5 if you get lucky with a young QB or a slew of young talent that all hits......but you really can't feasibly plan for a build window longer than that, it's just not realistic......
Not to mention a 19 year window like we just had.

That's why if I was the Pats I would package as many picks as it takes to move up and get one of the 1st 4 (who hopefully has been identified by you as the best fit for the Pats). Our own experience in the last 20 years, narrowed and focused this year by force, is that without an awesome franchise QB your team is pretty much nothing. The danger of course is that you pick wrong and are saddled with an underperforming QB and a shortage of picks going forward.

i think the first thing we should do is fire BB. Or trade him for running this franchise to the ground. Then trust the next coach or GM to find the next QB.

That's why if I was the Pats I would package as many picks as it takes to move up and get one of the 1st 4 (who hopefully has been identified by you as the best fit for the Pats). Our own experience in the last 20 years, narrowed and focused this year by force, is that without an awesome franchise QB your team is pretty much nothing. The danger of course is that you pick wrong and are saddled with an underperforming QB and a shortage of picks going forward.
after the top two, there's no guarantees......and there's no way that's happening......after the top 2, i'm not convinced i'd like to see them take ANY of the remaining QBs at the 15 spot even.....you CAN win with a serviceable starter in this league

after the top two, there's no guarantees......and there's no way that's happening......after the top 2, i'm not convinced i'd like to see them take ANY of the remaining QBs at the 15 spot even.....you CAN win with a serviceable starter in this league
Not in the playoffs (Josh Allen says hi)...

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back