PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which direction should we go in for QB next season?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What direction should we go in for QB next season?

• Keep Cam

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Trade for Matt Stafford or Watson

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Pick a rookie in the draft

Votes: 70 84.3%

• Total voters
Saying Stidham reeks at his job is not hate. It's being honest. I wouldn't expect him to make the team this year.
Saying that Peterman is an ok back up and a much better QB than Stidham is being dishonest.

the only way Stidham doesn’t make the team is if they sign or trade for a veteran QB AND they draft someone in the first 3 rounds. And I think there is a very very small possibility that he is even the starter.

Saying that Peterman is an ok back up and a much better QB than Stidham is being dishonest.

the only way Stidham doesn’t make the team is if they sign or trade for a veteran QB AND they draft someone in the first 3 rounds. And I think there is a very very small possibility that he is even the starter.
He is not an NFL caliber starter but yeah he's an ok backup. Raiders wouldn't have resigned him if he wasn't. Gruden will work with him and he'll get better.

Nah, I wouldn't expect Pick Six to make the team. The writing was on the wall when his coach kept him on the bench as much as possible behind a guy who can't throw. And rightfully so. Pats fans really need to stop thinking this late round pick is some secret weapon Bill is waiting to unleash on the league. No, he absolutely sucks and if he is ever in a game it means things have gone terribly wrong with the offense.

He is not an NFL caliber starter but yeah he's an ok backup. Raiders wouldn't have resigned him if he wasn't. Gruden will work with him and he'll get better.

Nah, I wouldn't expect Pick Six to make the team. The writing was on the wall when his coach kept him on the bench as much as possible behind a guy who can't throw. And rightfully so. Pats fans really need to stop thinking this late round pick is some secret weapon Bill is waiting to unleash on the league. No, he absolutely sucks and if he is ever in a game it means things have gone terribly wrong with the offense.

there is actually.......if said coach felt little could be done in terms of development in those game situations, and that the only results could be negative (we've seen QBs rushed into the fire too quickly and have seen that ****** development in many instances), then said coach may have held him out BECAUSE he saw a future from this QB

not saying that is the case here, but i could see that being a possible play

there is actually.......if said coach felt little could be done in terms of development in those game situations, and that the only results could be negative (we've seen QBs rushed into the fire too quickly and have seen that ****** development in many instances), then said coach may have held him out BECAUSE he saw a future from this QB

not saying that is the case here, but i could see that being a possible play
That would go against everything else this coach has done. Look at Brady's progression in 2000-01 and then look at Stidham. Brady got a chance for a good reason. Stidham didn't - and IMO also for a good reason. Real QB prospects don't regress in year 2 like Stidham did.

That would go against everything else this coach has done. Look at Brady's progression in 2000-01 and then look at Stidham. Brady got a chance for a good reason. Stidham didn't - and IMO also for a good reason. Real QB prospects don't regress in year 2 like Stidham did.
you are basing this 'regression' on???

not saying this is the case, but it is entirely possible with the team they had out there and with the lack of preseason, that they felt holding stidham back was a good idea......maybe he just isn't the guy.....don't see how anyone outside the organization has enough evidence to make the call

brady got a chance because bledsoe almost died lol

not saying this is the case, but it is entirely possible with the team they had out there and with the lack of preseason, that they felt holding stidham back was a good idea......maybe he just isn't the guy.....don't see how anyone outside the organization has enough evidence to make the call

Went from presumed QB1 to QB2 after a panic signing of Cam to QB3 losing his backup role to Hoyer. If that’s not textbook regression I don’t know what is.

He had his chance and blew it. And now he’s approaching 25 way past his best before time as a QB prospect. I doubt we’ll ever see him again in the league after he is cut in August.

Brady went from QB4 to QB2 in one year and that’s a smaller in game sample size than Stidham is getting. So BB saw something in Brady that he’s never seen in Stidham. He would have been QB1 that season regardless if Bledsoe got hurt or not. No question about it.

Brady is never happening again. Ever. 4th round QBs are what they are.

your evidence of regression has nothing to do with performance, then - you didn't see his reps at practice, correct?

so the situation i outlined is possible and plausible? I may not think it probable, but you're making assumptions based on your emotions and beliefs.......

Please give any decent explanation as to why the Pats didn't play Stidham in the last two games if they thought for a second he had any potential. I can't come up with anything as to why he didn't play when the games were meaningless.

You can't even say that BB wanted to make sure that the Jets didn't get the #1 pick, because that was already set in stone before the game.

They wanted to see more of Cam?
They were afraid to start a bidding war for the services of a backup QB still under contract?
Stidham goosed Linda Holliday in the hallway?
Stidham gave Steve B the evil eye?

For the life of me, I can't see why they didn't play him. Why is he even on the team? Obviously they dressed him ahead of Hoyer, but when push came to shove in KC, Hoyer got the nod.

There is no logical reason that they didn't play Stidham in those games other than he sucks and that they have zero confidence in him and zero interest in him ever developing. If you can come up with a different explaination, I'm all ears.

no clue.......i simply put out there that they may not wanted to have gotten him killed, or bet up mentally.......there's been more than one or two QB's whose development was killed by being thrown to the wolves too quickly

i could SEE a scenario where, with no preseason, limited practice time, a huge mess mid season, the roster the way it was, where they didn't see benefit of putting him out there, set up to fail

i don't have enough body of work to really say stidham is good, bad, or indifferent - this year was enough of an anomaly, that i'm not really ready to pull many conclusions from what we saw, or didn't see

your evidence of regression has nothing to do with performance, then - you didn't see his reps at practice, correct?

so the situation i outlined is possible and plausible? I may not think it probable, but you're making assumptions based on your emotions and beliefs.......
I saw his reps in games and he was forgettable to awful in literally all of them. And why does it matter how much fans see? Obviously Belichick, McDaniels and the coaches saw a lot of him in one full camp, the "camp" before this season, every practice and in game situations. Obviously they are not impressed. They dropped him from QB1 to QB3. And kept Pick Six on the bench instead of replacing a guy who can't pass with him. Nuff said. Most of the time the simplest explanation for an event or phenomenon is the correct one.

The only emotions are from the Stiddy fans who insist this fourth round draft pick who wasn't even all that in college must be Brady 2.0. Only because Brady was a 6th round success so Stidham HAS to have the same story. Despite every single piece of evidence in existence to the contrary. Sounds logical.

Stidham is not an NFL QB. And he never will be. QED.

Last edited:
Please give any decent explanation as to why the Pats didn't play Stidham in the last two games if they thought for a second he had any potential. I can't come up with anything as to why he didn't play when the games were meaningless.

You can't even say that BB wanted to make sure that the Jets didn't get the #1 pick, because that was already set in stone before the game.

They wanted to see more of Cam?
They were afraid to start a bidding war for the services of a backup QB still under contract?
Stidham goosed Linda Holliday in the hallway?
Stidham gave Steve B the evil eye?

For the life of me, I can't see why they didn't play him. Why is he even on the team? Obviously they dressed him ahead of Hoyer, but when push came to shove in KC, Hoyer got the nod.

There is no logical reason that they didn't play Stidham in those games other than he sucks and that they have zero confidence in him and zero interest in him ever developing. If you can come up with a different explaination, I'm all ears.
^ all of this. That's exactly the right conclusion to draw.

Extremely unlikely that Bill is "protecting" Stidham in a season where expectations for this team were low and all of a sudden changing his career MO for player development. Sure it's logically possible - I mean it's logically possible that I could be the next QB of the Patriots too. Plausible? Not exactly.

Josh also had some lukewarm comments about Stidham. Speaks loud and clear. After the Pats cut him in camp I doubt we'll see him in the NFL again. Then he'll have plenty of time to pose on that throne.

no clue.......i simply put out there that they may not wanted to have gotten him killed, or bet up mentally.......there's been more than one or two QB's whose development was killed by being thrown to the wolves too quickly

i could SEE a scenario where, with no preseason, limited practice time, a huge mess mid season, the roster the way it was, where they didn't see benefit of putting him out there, set up to fail

i don't have enough body of work to really say stidham is good, bad, or indifferent - this year was enough of an anomaly, that i'm not really ready to pull many conclusions from what we saw, or didn't see
You're talking like he's a prospect that needs protecting. In a season where this team had very low expectations? I doubt that. Now is the season to play him and see what he has when the pressure is off. Instead the team saw fit to sign and play the guy who can't throw and keep him on the bench. It's not rocket science to figure out what the coaching staff thinks of him.

He's also going to be 25 years old. When a guy regresses big time from year 1 to year 2 and he hits 25 - at that age it's pretty much time to put the label "failed" in front of the label prospect, and that's not unusual for a guy picked in the 4th round. If the Pats want to pick up another Stidham as a project, there are plenty of guys in the draft just like him every year.

Last edited:

It's funny that after this and the visibly angry reaction from the Pats coaches on the sidelines... Hoyer came back in the 3rd quarter anyway. So weird. It's like they figured out Stidham blows a lot sooner than a lot of fans have.

^ all of this. That's exactly the right conclusion to draw.

Extremely unlikely that Bill is "protecting" Stidham in a season where expectations for this team were low and all of a sudden changing his career MO for player development. Sure it's logically possible - I mean it's logically possible that I could be the next QB of the Patriots too. Plausible? Not exactly.

Josh also had some lukewarm comments about Stidham. Speaks loud and clear. After the Pats cut him in camp I doubt we'll see him in the NFL again. Then he'll have plenty of time to pose on that throne.
Except we had Harris as RB in 2019 and the coaches refused to play him. He finally played in 2020 and was great. I don’t really trust Bill and the coaches to have even contemplated giving Stidham a chance last year. I’m not saying he’s any good, but I don’t necessarily think we should read anything into his playing time.

Except we had Harris as RB in 2019 and the coaches refused to play him. He finally played in 2020 and was great. I don’t really trust Bill and the coaches to have even contemplated giving Stidham a chance last year. I’m not saying he’s any good, but I don’t necessarily think we should read anything into his playing time.

It’s one thing to not play because you’re a rookie added to a very deep running back crew where the starter was a huge contributor to a Super Bowl championship.

It’s another to not play because the coach would rather play the guy who can’t pass. Even in meaningless games. They did give him a chance - and were obviously not impressed with what they saw. Having a QB non prospect out there who probably won’t even make the team next year does nothing to develop guys like Meyers and Harris.

hmmmmm...which direction huh? OK, I say...north south east and west

Neither did James White, that is because you can't put a rookie RB out there if he doesn't know pass protection and blitz pick up. You would get your franchise QB killed. Of course the Pats don't have that problem anymore.

crying indian.jpg

We should get a guy that can throw the ball further than seven yards downfield without skipping it off the ground first. I like a cheap veteran as a bridge rather than reaching in the draft. We have to get an above average player at #15 regardless of position. And it is unlikely a QB that fits that description is there at that spot.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Back