PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where Will Shea McClellin Fit in the Patriots Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree but he still hasn't had a season where he dominates the competition. Hopefully this season is it. Belichick doesn't mind playing great players big money but he hates paying it to players who are really good but think they are all world. If Collins wants over 12 million a season he is going to have to, play like Lawrence Taylor this season to get it. Playing like Roosevelt Colvin won't get it done.

He was damn near close last season. He was playing up to that level, until he missed a month with that throat infection.

In 12 games he had 87 tackles 5.5 sacks 1 int and 5 FF.. thats pretty damn good.

I agree but he still hasn't had a season where he dominates the competition. Hopefully this season is it. Belichick doesn't mind playing great players big money but he hates paying it to players who are really good but think they are all world. If Collins wants over 12 million a season he is going to have to, play like Lawrence Taylor this season to get it. Playing like Roosevelt Colvin won't get it done.

He's been a big reason why TE's are not able to consistently kill the Patriots across the middle any more. He's gotten more stout against the run and is a force in the pass rush when he's allowed to do so. Much like how Mayo didn't stand out to some people, Collins will never pop off the map either because of the sheer amount of assignments he has in Belichick's system. Even with that said, he was still pretty damn good in 2015 before he missed all that time.

EDIT: That said, he does need to play better in the big games, though. Completely whiffing on that wheel route against Lynch in Super Bowl 49 and the two blown coverages against Denver were completely inexcusable. The blown coverage on Lynch's wheel route nearly led to disaster.

I think Shea McClellin fits into the same role as Akeem Ayers, i.e. situational pass rusher.

Could happen. I see McClellin as more of a pure linebacker based on how he washed out so fast as a pass rusher. But I didn't see Ayers as a pass rusher at all when he first came here, so it all depends what BB wants. I think there's a bigger need at LB, though.

He's been a big reason why TE's are not able to consistently kill the Patriots across the middle any more. He's gotten more stout against the run and is a force in the pass rush when he's allowed to do so. Much like how Mayo didn't stand out to some people, Collins will never pop off the map either because of the sheer amount of assignments he has in Belichick's system. Even with that said, he was still pretty damn good in 2015 before he missed all that time.

EDIT: That said, he does need to play better in the big games, though. Completely whiffing on that wheel route against Lynch in Super Bowl 49 and the two blown coverages against Denver were completely inexcusable. The blown coverage on Lynch's wheel route nearly led to disaster.

The Denver game might have been his worst game in coverage in his pro career, BUT, in the second half he was an absolute savage attacking Peyton.

I dont think he can be a full time edge player (tackles would swallow him in the run game) but he might be the best pass rusher on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots