PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nice LB breakdown . case for McClellin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Roberts is safe based on his defensive potential. After all, he was 4th in defensive reps and that was with Collins still here for 1/2 the season. From the early reports, he has been showing more signs of leadership and offering more of a vocal presence.

I think HT, McClellin, Roberts, and Langi as the main locks. Just my opinion.

Langi is a main lock?

I doubt very much if Belichick has Van Noy, or even Freeny behind Langi on the depth chart. I wouldn't be surprised if Bates is even with Langi at this point.

I hadn't really considered that, but I feel like hes safe.

I expect that Ninkoich will make the team. So, he and Rivers will have some reps at LB. Clearly, Hightower is a lock.

It seems that every one of the following is a candidate to be cut or traded.

Van Noy, McClellan, Roberts, Freeny, Bates, Langi

My expectation is that these players are likely competing for 4 roster spots. If not for special teams play, we would need 3 at most (plus Hightower, Ninkovich and Rivers).

I believe that Van Noy is the best linebacker (most likely starter). McClellan and Freeny are the top special teamers. Also, Freeny is coming back from injuries.

Langi is a main lock?

I doubt very much if Belichick has Van Noy, or even Freeny behind Langi on the depth chart. I wouldn't be surprised if Bates is even with Langi at this point.
Pretty sure he was the highest paid UDFA in the entire league. They must have some future plans for him.

From what I read, the entire GB Packers team didn't spend as much on their entire UDFA class as NE did on Langi, alone.

I don't think he's necessarily "above" certain players such as Van Noy at the moment, but I'd be surprised if he didn't make the team come August.

Pretty sure he was the highest paid UDFA in the entire league. They must have some future plans for him.

From what I read, the entire GB Packers team didn't spend as much on their entire UDFA class as NE did on Langi, alone.

I don't think he's necessarily "above" certain players such as Van Noy at the moment, but I'd be surprised if he didn't make the team come August.

Langi was judged to be not good enough to draft in the 6th or 7th round. Several teams judged him to be the best of the undrafted. We know the percentages with regard to 6th and 7th rounders. What do you think the percentages are with regard to the highest paid UDFA in the week after the draft. Do you think such players are more or less likely than 5th, 6th, or 7th rounders to make the 53?

I think considering any 5th, 6th, 7th or UDFA a LOCK is poor analysis, unless the play was drafted as a punter or kicker. Even considering him likely to make the 53, absent injuries, seem wrong to me.

I AGREE that Langi is the UDFA most likely to make the 53 this year, perhaps double anyone else's chances. HOWEVER, that analysis does NOT make him a lock or even better than 50% to make the roster.

Folks seem to be saying that surely there is some test veteran than Bill likes that will cut so that Langi can make the 53. Surely, Langi will show so much that one of the following will cut: Van Noy, McClellan, Roberts, and Freeny (plus Bates); one more if Bill thinks that 3 is enough in addition to Hightower, Ninkovich and Rivers.

Langi was judged to be not good enough to draft in the 6th or 7th round. Several teams judged him to be the best of the undrafted. We know the percentages with regard to 6th and 7th rounders. What do you think the percentages are with regard to the highest paid UDFA in the week after the draft. Do you think such players are more or less likely than 5th, 6th, or 7th rounders to make the 53?

I think considering any 5th, 6th, 7th or UDFA a LOCK is poor analysis, unless the play was drafted as a punter or kicker. Even considering him likely to make the 53, absent injuries, seem wrong to me.

I AGREE that Langi is the UDFA most likely to make the 53 this year, perhaps double anyone else's chances. HOWEVER, that analysis does NOT make him a lock or even better than 50% to make the roster.

Folks seem to be saying that surely there is some test veteran than Bill likes that will cut so that Langi can make the 53. Surely, Langi will show so much that one of the following will cut: Van Noy, McClellan, Roberts, and Freeny (plus Bates); one more if Bill thinks that 3 is enough in addition to Hightower, Ninkovich and Rivers.
Yes, calling Langi one of the odds on favorites to make the team was faulty, although I think we can safely assume that they see a pretty high upside based on the money they spent bringing him in as an UDFA. Whether or not he lives up to that potential is anyone's guess.

I think they like McClellin's versatility. They had him with his hand in the dirt In preseason last year and has demonstrated his ability to drop into coverage too.

Sucking at different positions still means that he sucks.

My guess at the aggressive financial pursuit of Langi was the confluence of only 4 drafted players and large cap space. If we are paying him like a 6th or 7th round choice what is the historical average of those guys making the 53? Of course we have a couple players drafted from the 6th and 7th rounds that are pretty good.

I am concerned about our linebacker corp especially if Hightower goes down. I don't see Ninkovich playing there much as he seemed slower last year. I don't see the Patriots asking Rivers to learn the linebacker position his first year..

Van Noy could be good or more likely ok. Last year was a mixed bag, but he has the chance to take the "2nd year leap" and he is playing for money.

McClellan is ok, but did not look like someone you wanted playing full time because he would be a weakness.

Roberts had some real impactful plays last year. His height and speed hurt in the passing game. 2nd year leap could be big for him if he gets a better grasp on scheme and channels his inner Teddy Bruschi.

Freeney has good size the Patriots like, but like McClellan not someone you want playing a lot of snaps.

Patriots gave McClellan in particular and Freeney too good contracts so they see something in them. I know the Patriots staff knows their players a gazillion times better than I do, but I feel if we lose Hightower our linebackers may be exposed

My guess at the aggressive financial pursuit of Langi was the confluence of only 4 drafted players and large cap space. If we are paying him like a 6th or 7th round choice what is the historical average of those guys making the 53? Of course we have a couple players drafted from the 6th and 7th rounds that are pretty good.
Pretty sure they paid David Andrews about 1/3 of the money they're giving to Langi, and he's obviously our starting center. There have been plenty of late rounders and UDFAs to make the team, although I'm not sure how those numbers compare to other teams.

It would seem that they're pretty interested in seeing what he can contribute this season, unless he doesn't show up well in training camp. I think we all share your concerns about what would happen if HT went down, but that could be said for a lot of key players on a lot of teams.

A little more on how often McClellin, Van Noy and Roberts were used by the Patriots in 2016:

Kyle Van Noy 2016 Fantasy Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Elandon Roberts 2016 Fantasy Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Shea McClellin 2016 Fantasy Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Jonathan Freeny 2016 Fantasy Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

- After the Seattle game Roberts was on the field for just 28 defensive plays over the next five games. That coincided with the arrival of Van Noy.

- Excluding the week 16 game against Miami, Van Noy averaged 38+ defensive snaps per game.

- McClellin wasn't really used on special teams until game 7. That's soon after Freeny went on IR, though McClellin was getting more per-game ST reps than Freeny was. McClellin averaged 20 ST snaps from the Pittsburgh game on, while Freeny averaged half that amount in his five games.

- Freeny dropped from 76 defensive snaps in weeks two and three, to zero 15 in week 4 and zero and week 5.

I am concerned about our linebacker corp especially if Hightower goes down. I don't see Ninkovich playing there much as he seemed slower last year. I don't see the Patriots asking Rivers to learn the linebacker position his first year..

Van Noy could be good or more likely ok. Last year was a mixed bag, but he has the chance to take the "2nd year leap" and he is playing for money.

McClellan is ok, but did not look like someone you wanted playing full time because he would be a weakness.

Roberts had some real impactful plays last year. His height and speed hurt in the passing game. 2nd year leap could be big for him if he gets a better grasp on scheme and channels his inner Teddy Bruschi.

Freeney has good size the Patriots like, but like McClellan not someone you want playing a lot of snaps.

Patriots gave McClellan in particular and Freeney too good contracts so they see something in them. I know the Patriots staff knows their players a gazillion times better than I do, but I feel if we lose Hightower our linebackers may be exposed

I disagree. I think unfamiliarity is breeding fear. Both McClellan and Van Noy have flashed at times, and both are very high draft picks. Which only means that their triangle numbers are superior. Let us see what a full TC will do for them.

Highest paid = $100,000 from what I saw. Last year we paid 10x more for a few games of that tall wide receiver and let him sign with the Vikings (?) after his DUI was up. I don't think $100k means a roster spot when guys are getting paid millions.

Highest paid = $100,000 from what I saw. Last year we paid 10x more for a few games of that tall wide receiver and let him sign with the Vikings (?) after his DUI was up. I don't think $100k means a roster spot when guys are getting paid millions.
I understand your point when comparing it to players making millions of dollars, but giving an UDFA 110,000 dollars usually means they have some high hopes for them. We will see if Langi impresses in camp or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3