What Does the Marquis Flowers Trade Mean for the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score

Steve Balestrieri

The Patriots addressed their depth at linebacker and on special teams on Tuesday morning when it was announced that they traded a 7th round draft pick for LB Marquis Flowers from the Cincinnati Bengals.

Flowers was drafted by the Bengals in the 6th Round (212th Overall) of the 2014 NFL Draft out of Arizona. The 6’3, 245-pound Flowers is an athletic player who is more comfortable outside on the edge than he is inside. He can cover and has the range to run with more athletic players. He’s been used as strictly a special teams’ player for the Bengals, playing only two snaps on defense last year. With their Special Teams’ standouts having been hurt this summer, including Harvey Langi, Shea McClellin, and Geneo Grissom, Flowers will step right into a key role right away. That was apparent in Tuesday’s practice as he stepped into the starting ST’s unit.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Watched his preseason games 2 and 3. Didn't play much. But when he was on the field he looked interesting. One can question his instincts and understanding of the game but he does have the advertised speed and size and he showed some very good tackling.

He was used exclusively off LOS (not a single blitz or pass rush IIRC) . and interestingly they did play him at safety in the 4th Q vs KC and his best play of the preseason came from that position when he ran across the field to stop a sure TD run w spectacular tackle - he looked like the fastest man on the field.

Interesting pick up that stirs many speculations about roster/injury status situations not only of ST guys but also SS and OLB..

Steve Balestrieri

<span style="font-weight: 400;The Patriots addressed their depth at linebacker and on special teams on Tuesday morning when it was announced that they traded a 7th round dra

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

I agree that, given the current injury circumstances, Flowers is likely to be on the 53 after cutdowns and likely to play an important role on ST in the KC opener.

However, to say that he will "be able to play some defense as well in the team’s sub-packages," may be overshooting the mark at this point. That remains to be seen. It's just as possible that, as other players get healthy, Flowers is waived to the PS by week-3 without ever taking a snap on defense in the regular season.

I agree that, given the current injury circumstances, Flowers is likely to be on the 53 after cutdowns and likely to play an important role on ST in the KC opener.

However, to say that he will "be able to play some defense as well in the team’s sub-packages," may be overshooting the mark at this point. That remains to be seen. It's just as possible that, as other players get healthy, Flowers is waived to the PS by week-3 without ever taking a snap on defense in the regular season.
And it is possible he becomes an all pro, perhaps we will know more after final cut downs.

It was an odd trade considering similar players might be available for free in a few days. Is the draft pick conditional?

You would think there would be more player for player trades this time of year. Teams would have to be stacked in different areas, making trades easy.

It was an odd trade considering similar players might be available for free in a few days. Is the draft pick conditional?

You would think there would be more player for player trades this time of year. Teams would have to be stacked in different areas, making trades easy.

I think the Patriots have players they want and go get them. I think the board values draft picks much higher than the Patriots do. A 7th rounder has very little chance of sticking with the Pats, by giving that pick up they don't have to compete with other teams to get Flowers, who they obviously think will be beneficial for the team, either short term or long term.

What Does the Marquis Flowers Trade Mean for the Patriots?
Absolutely nothing.

Trevor Bates can already do everything that this guy can supposedly do, but even better. And he also has more of a future on defense than this guy will ever have.

Absolutely nothing.

Trevor Bates can already do everything that this guy can supposedly do, but even better. And he also has more of a future on defense than this guy will ever have.

I don't know Flowers, but that's why I was wondering if the trade is conditional.

I don't know Flowers, but that's why I was wondering if the trade is conditional.

It has never been reported as being so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes