PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots acquire Marquis Flowers from Cincinnati for a 7th Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
But remember that BB at his core has been a 3-4 guy for most of his long NFL career. We went to a 4-3 mostly because we no longer had the talent on the roster to successfully play with a 3 man front.

FWIW, Bill has said in the past that his affinity for 3-4 was driven by scarcity more than anything else. And the switch to 4-3 was for much the same reason; once 3-4 became more commonplace, arbitrage opportunities weren't as prevalent.

He wasn't 250 when he ran 4.5

I see him playing 90+% of the snaps as a DE who moves inside in obvious passing downs like 3rd down and 2 minutes.
Essentially exactly how they used chandler jones.
You are correct about his weight: according to NFL Draft Scout,
Marquis Flowers | Arizona, OLB : 2014 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile
he weighed 231 at his pro day.

However, I disagree about the manner in which he might be used here.
IF he takes any snaps at all on defense - a huge IF, based on his history at Cincy -
he will be used off the LOS, and in coverage.

Last edited:
better consider another Flowers on your 53s..

If he does like Mingo it will be a great use of low 7th pick..
_

Langi was coming along very well in that role . i do hope his somewhat mysterious absence the last two practices has nothing to do with this move.
___

Bill Belichick mentioned Flowers in the week leading up to the Patriots/Bengals Week 6 game: "They have a good group of core players as well. Certainly (Vinny) Rey is one of the top linebackers in the league," Belichick said. "They have a good group there with Flowers and (Clayton) Fejedelem."

Flowers is the Prince that was promised!

That 7th-rounder better be conditional.

Because I have no reason why Bill would waste even a 7th-rounder on some JAG
who in 2 seasons (all of 2015 was spent on IR) contributed nothing at all to the Bungles' defense, and who almost assuredly would've been among their cuts to 53 next week.

No, it's better that it's not conditional 7th rd pick, since usually those can be upgraded to 6th or 5th etc based on playtime and snap counts etc. This last pick on 7th rd will remain fixed, so it's better.

6 pages dedicated to a purely ST move that involves a player BB mentioned specifically leading up to last years game and gave up the lowest draft pick possible to jump ahead other teams in the waiver priority.

6 ****ing pages..

Either way, if he contributes to ST like he did with the Bengals it is a good move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes