Patriots 53-Man Roster Projection 2.0 – After Week 1 of Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score

Steve Balestrieri

Van Noy and McClellin will probably be asked to fill in at times as edge rushers (Hightower as well) so the team may opt for an extra linebacker.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

I have no problems at all with this roster.

Personally, I'd have on fewer linebacker and one more DE. Listed are the 4 EDGE DE's: Flowers, Ealy, Rivers and Wise. IMHO, Rivers is a linebacker, and one that is has a lot to learn, perhaps a year's worth (which is fine). Ealy has shown nothing.

So, I would keep Grissom over either Langi or Richards.

But, this is nitpicking. Agreeing on 52 players this early is pretty amazing.

Steve Balestrieri

Van Noy and McClellin will probably be asked to fill in at times as edge rushers (Hightower as well) so the team may opt for an extra linebacker.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Yeah - I mean all the proposed "cuts" aren't the harshest losses or toughest decisions certainly at this point in time

But all things being equal you take experience over prospects in the Pats "win now" and "trade draft picks for proven players"

Obviously injuries happen & one has to think that some unexpected contributor will earn a spot in a rotation or on special teams. I'd also expect Belichick to be looking at NTs among the cuts from other teams towards the end of pre-season so probably a few guys unexpectedly gone from this

But it's tough to argue against this roster at this point in time - even as early as it is.

Maybe the Pats aren't as deep as I thought they were? (That being said, when Amendola is your 6th WR, you're pretty well stocked at that position!)

QB (3) T.Brady, J.Garoppolo, J.Brissett
RB (5) M.Gillislee, J.White, D.Lewis, R.Burkhead, J.Develin
WR (6) B.Cooks, J.Edelman, C.Hogan, M.Mitchell, D.Amendola, M.Slater
TE (3) R.Gronkowski, D.Allen, M.Lengel
C (1) D.Andrews
G (3) S.Mason, J.Thuney, T.Karras
T (4) N.Solder, M.Cannon, C.Fleming, T.Garcia
DE (5) T.Flowers, K.Ealy, D.Wise, D.Rivers, G.Grissom
DT (4) M.Brown, A.Branch, L.Guy, V.Valentine
ILB(3) D.Hightower, D.Harris, E.Roberts
OLB(3) H.Langi, S.McClellin, K.VanNoy
CB (5) M.Butler, S.Gilmore, E.Rowe, J.Jones, C.Jones
SS (3) P.Chung, J.Richards, N.Ebner
FS (2) D.McCourty, D.Harmon
ST (3) S.Gostkowski, R.Allen, J.Cardona

Total players: 53
Created with Pats Picker: Pats Picker 2016

I have Moore, Carr and an 9th offensive lineman not making the cut for now. It can change but for not JJ and CJ are showing enough to fight more off and Carr has not shown enough to beat out Amendola or force himself to be carried.

Those things can not probably be changed till preseason starts. Also I just don't believe a 9th OL man is worth protecting on the roster.

I have Grissom making it as well with his good play at this point and talent but he is one of the last adds.

BobDigital.....My list was similar...only a couple of coin flips that I wasn't sure, based on info others had provided, who would/could be on final 53.....

Lengel or OShaunessy at TE and Freeney or Langi at LB.....and Langi is one of my binkies :) ......

Also wasn't sure about Brandon King at Safety as I heard he had good ST value. I think it may be a battle between him and Richards. I like Richards for his football smarts....who knows what BB looks for when it comes down to 2 players being almost equal on the field/locker room......

Otherwise I think others on your roster were same as mine.

Edit: Side note: Both Richards & King are PS eligible....as are Lengel and O'Shaughnessy.....

Also wasn't sure about Brandon King at Safety as I heard he had good ST value. I think it may be a battle between him and Richards. I like Richards for his football smarts....who knows what BB looks for when it comes down to 2 players being almost equal on the field/locker room......

Brandon King is a special teamer, even more than Ebner (who is an emergency safety); he is sometimes listed as a LB.

I like Steve's (the OP) approach. He lists Slater, Ebner and King as STO (special team only) players.

I have no problems at all with this roster.

Personally, I'd have on fewer linebacker and one more DE. Listed are the 4 EDGE DE's: Flowers, Ealy, Rivers and Wise. IMHO, Rivers is a linebacker, and one that is has a lot to learn, perhaps a year's worth (which is fine). Ealy has shown nothing.

So, I would keep Grissom over either Langi or Richards.

But, this is nitpicking. Agreeing on 52 players this early is pretty amazing.
Disagree on rivers. He is a pass rushing DE and not at all a lb.

Tough decisions on cuts when the Pats have a plethora of talented players in their depth....I'm sure other teams are waiting for their cutdown to pluck a few before they make it to the PS....... ( Don't get to use plethora much especially on sports MB's, LOL)

BobDigital.....My list was similar...only a couple of coin flips that I wasn't sure, based on info others had provided, who would/could be on final 53.....

Lengel or OShaunessy at TE and Freeney or Langi at LB.....and Langi is one of my binkies :) ......

Otherwise I think others on your roster were same as mine.

Edit: Side note: Both Richards & King are PS eligible....as are Lengel and O'Shaughnessy.....

Honestly I would rather carry King than a few of our other LBs. I am not as high on McClellin and Van Noy and Roberts as some. I would be willing to cut one to carry king but it seems a lot of people are not so on board with that or think BB likes them a lot so I am in wait and see mode there.

QB (3) T.Brady, J.Garoppolo, J.Brissett
RB (5) M.Gillislee, J.White, D.Lewis, R.Burkhead, J.Develin
WR (6) B.Cooks, J.Edelman, C.Hogan, M.Mitchell, D.Amendola, M.Slater
TE (3) R.Gronkowski, D.Allen, M.Lengel
C (1) D.Andrews
G (3) S.Mason, J.Thuney, T.Karras
T (4) N.Solder, M.Cannon, C.Fleming, T.Garcia
DE (5) T.Flowers, K.Ealy, D.Wise, D.Rivers, G.Grissom
DT (4) M.Brown, A.Branch, L.Guy, V.Valentine
ILB(3) D.Hightower, D.Harris, E.Roberts
OLB(3) H.Langi, S.McClellin, K.VanNoy
CB (5) M.Butler, S.Gilmore, E.Rowe, J.Jones, C.Jones
SS (3) P.Chung, J.Richards, N.Ebner
FS (2) D.McCourty, D.Harmon
ST (3) S.Gostkowski, R.Allen, J.Cardona

Total players: 53
Created with Pats Picker: Pats Picker 2016

I have Moore, Carr and an 9th offensive lineman not making the cut for now. It can change but for not JJ and CJ are showing enough to fight more off and Carr has not shown enough to beat out Amendola or force himself to be carried.

Those things can not probably be changed till preseason starts. Also I just don't believe a 9th OL man is worth protecting on the roster.

I have Grissom making it as well with his good play at this point and talent but he is one of the last adds.

I like this list. And, there is so much agreement between posters....That agreement is weird. :D

OK, I'll start the first argument. Let me ask this question: Which of the "cuts" has the potential to be at least a solid starter in the future, if not a future star? In my mind that is Moore, the reports on him remind me of Butler in his rookie year, I'm afraid that he may be this year's version of Cre’Von LeBlanc, who played well for the Bears after being being cut in a numbers game here last year. For a cut to add him, maybe Roberts or Ebner? I know they are both important players but they don't have anywhere near the future potential of Moore. OK, everyone can start blasting. ;)

I like this list. And, there is so much agreement between posters....That agreement is weird. :D

OK, I'll start the first argument. Let me ask this question: Which of the "cuts" has the potential to be at least a solid starter in the future, if not a future star? In my mind that is Moore, the reports on him remind me of Butler in his rookie year, I'm afraid that he may be this year's version of Cre’Von LeBlanc, who played well for the Bears after being being cut in a numbers game here last year. For a cut to add him, maybe Roberts or Ebner? I know they are both important players but they don't have anywhere near the future potential of Moore. OK, everyone can start blasting. ;)

He is the guy I am most weary to cut. I just have him as a cut for now cause he hasn't shown anything in the preseason yet. Once he has a few games to show something he will go from "player to watch with upside" to a "guy you have to carry". I just don't feel it is fair to officially put him in that 2nd category yet.

I agree with this in general, except my projections always exclude the PUP guys until they actually practice (even if it's expected for them to start week 1). So I have Grissom and Bolden on the roster instead of Hightower and Branch. I don't really think Grissom deserves a spot, but the edge position is thin and he's at least been here for 2 years. Bolden, on the other hand, absolutely should make this team. If Hightower and Branch were on the 53, I'd cut Grissom and perhaps Langi, unless Langi turns out to be equally as valuable on ST as Bolden.

No mention of Jamil Douglas, at all?

I have the same roster except a different binkie than Langi. I could see Grissom instead of both.

Not much suspense, but there will likely be a surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes