PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Patriots News August 8, 53-man Roster Projection 2.0

I find truly amazing that folks think that Keene is a better FB than Johnson.

I don't think Dalton > Johnson, but Dalton gives us a swiss army knife type of player. I certainty think Johnson is the better FB though.

Hoyer can't be on the PS. He has too many accrued seasons already.
Under the 2020 rules (2021 expected to be same) up to 6 players can have more than 2 accrued seasons.

Jakob. A ‘true FB’ has been on this team for the better part of the last decade+ and I think BB values the position.
Only since abandoning the true two-TE offense after Hernandez's departure. I see 0, 10, and 9 offensive snaps by real fullbacks from 2010-2012.

That's the thing....having a FB lined up telegraphs whether it's a run/pass play...unless the guy can catch some balls now and then...which I have seen Johnson do a few times in pre-season though. Not sure if Johnson can pass block well or not...don't remember.
I don't think it's that obvious. Devlin was a worthless receiver and they did fine with him on the field. I miss that guy.

Only since abandoning the true two-TE offense after Hernandez's departure. I see 0, 10, and 9 offensive snaps by real fullbacks from 2010-2012.

Good point.

Might also be different depending on whether Cam or Mac is the QB. With Cam, two TE's a RB and say Harry and Agholor, there is more than enough blocking given they essentially have 3 guys that could carry the ball (Cam, the RB and Smith) and four strong blockers (the two TEs, the RB and Harry). And there would be five legitimate receiver targets on the field as well, given our RBs seem to be catching the ball more these days. Swapping out any of these guys for a FB reduces the options by a lot.

Going to be a matchup nightmare for most teams. They might have their one or two expensive corners, but that still leaves three guys to be covered by safeties or slower linebackers.

I don't think it's that obvious. Devlin was a worthless receiver and they did fine with him on the field. I miss that guy.
Develin was also a great pass blocker.
I just looked it up...Johnson played 37% of the offensive snaps last year whereas Develin played up to 36% (2018).

And the Pats let Vitale go...interesting....

And the Pats let Vitale go...interesting....
I think him bailing last year played a part. He was never that good and Johnson played through it.

I said last offseason Vitale was making a very bad financial decision bailing on an opportunity with the Pats. I don't think he had any suitors since, so he retired. He stated he was leaving due to his body "wanting to move on", but he was bragging on social media last year how jacked he was getting.

Develin was also a great pass blocker.
I just looked it up...Johnson played 37% of the offensive snaps last year whereas Develin played up to 36% (2018).
Crazy how you were able to find that out so quickly. I'm terrible at looking up that stuff.

@Zuma, thanks for the 53 man link!

Here's mine:

QB (2) C.Newton, M.Jones
RB (5) D.Harris, S.Michel, J.White, B.Bolden, R.Stevenson
WR (7) N.Agholor, J.Meyers, K.Bourne, M.Slater, G.Olszewski, K.Wilkerson, N.Harry
TE (4) J.Smith, H.Henry, M.LaCosse, D.Asiasi
C (2) D.Andrews, T.Karras
G (2) S.Mason, M.Onwenu
T (4) I.Wynn, T.Brown, J.Herron, W.Sherman
DE (2) D.Wise, H.Anderson
DT (4) L.Guy, D.Godchaux, C.Barmore, B.Cowart
ILB(2) D.Hightower, J.Bentley
OLB(6) M.Judon, K.VanNoy, R.Perkins, C.Winovich, A.Jennings, J.Uche
CB (6) S.Gilmore, J.Jackson, M.Bryant, J.Jones, J.Bethel, J.Mills
SS (2) K.Dugger, A.Phillips
FS (2) D.McCourty, C.Davis
ST (3) J.Bailey, Q.Nordin, J.Cardona

Total players: 53
Created with Pats Picker: Pats Picker 2019
Nicely done.

That's the thing....having a FB lined up telegraphs whether it's a run/pass play...unless the guy can catch some balls now and then...which I have seen Johnson do a few times in pre-season though. Not sure if Johnson can pass block well or not...don't remember.

Johnson was a TE in college, so I think he can block and catch.

Crazy how you were able to find that out so quickly. I'm terrible at looking up that stuff.
Profootball reference, player name, advanced rushing stats, and scroll down for snap counts....

I find truly amazing that folks think that Keene is a better FB than Johnson.

Johnson is obviously a more powerful lead blocker...But Keene had the potential to be a better-overall & more versatile player with the ability to disguise run/pass intent.

Last edited:

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back