PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What we got for Garoppolo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the day when you bought a dime bag you didn't just proclaim how much bud you got - there was also commentary about the seeds and sticks ... so the full value of the pick is just IMO and we'll know how much bud, seed and stick we got a few years from now.

The Garrapolites will never be:

A) Happy with trading Jimmy to begin with
B) Satisfied with only a 2nd rounder in return as they maintain he had 1st rd value across the league.

I didn’t like the return but felt it was the right decision to trade him.

They got a high second round pick for a player who months later became the highest paid in the NFL at the most important position. I don’t think it’s wrong to question whether they could have gotten more value; it’s well known he was traded to the Niners in the middle of the night with other teams unaware he was available. You don’t think they could have gotten better draft value, especially with a conditional pick/conditional upgrade?

From the viewpoint at the time of the trade in 2017, if the Niners were to franchise or extend him, that’s $20M+. A first round pick is the starting point for draft compensation for a player of that value. Mack got two firsts and OBJ got a 1st and 3rd. Why not require at least a conditional first round pick if you value a player at a higher salary than both of those guys.

I’d say he’s on extremely thin ice. They can cut ties with him after this season if he stinks it up. Before his injury, he was throwing up some ducks which was talked about by the local media during the offseason. Aside from staying on the damn field, the one other weakness he needs to address is his arm strength.

The mystique of Jimmy G is over. SF had the champagne ready.

Basically, Jim is a rich mans Matt Cassell who isn't going to deliver anything.

Back in the day when you bought a dime bag you didn't just proclaim how much bud you got - there was also commentary about the seeds and sticks ... so the full value of the pick is just IMO and we'll know how much bud, seed and stick we got a few years from now.

SF got some oregano IMO.

They got a high second round pick for a player who months later became the highest paid in the NFL at the most important position. I don’t think it’s wrong to question whether they could have gotten more value; it’s well known he was traded to the Niners in the middle of the night with other teams unaware he was available. You don’t think they could have gotten better draft value, especially with a conditional pick/conditional upgrade?

From the viewpoint at the time of the trade in 2017, if the Niners were to franchise or extend him, that’s $20M+. A first round pick is the starting point for draft compensation for a player of that value. Mack got two firsts and OBJ got a 1st and 3rd. Why not require at least a conditional first round pick if you value a player at a higher salary than both of those guys.
Mack and OBJ are proven, durable NFL players. Jimmy was not and still isn't.

I maintain Bill waited until the 11th hr to keep him and once that dream died he traded him to SF which allowed him to mitigate his risk and get Hoyer. Also because it was the trade deadline, Bill lost a bit of leverage in negotiations.

I do not believe the other teams that say they didn't know he was available. It was because BB either/and had a deal with SF and didn't want to trade him to other teams (in AFCE, CLE or other teams he doesn't like).

In closing, I have never felt Jimmy was "worth" 1st rd pick nor could they have gotten one (The Browns and SF were full of it)

Mack and OBJ are proven, durable NFL players. Jimmy was not and still isn't.

I maintain Bill waited until the 11th hr to keep him and once that dream died he traded him to SF which allowed him to mitigate his risk and get Hoyer. Also because it was the trade deadline, Bill lost a bit of leverage in negotiations.

I do not believe the other teams that say they didn't know he was available. It was because BB either/and had a deal with SF and didn't want to trade him to other teams (in AFCE, CLE or other teams he doesn't like).

In closing, I have never felt Jimmy was "worth" 1st rd pick nor could they have gotten one (The Browns and SF were full of it)

That’s just your opinion man.

Apple_and_Orange_-_they_do_not_compare.jpg
apples-vs-oranges-thumb-e1357963130602.jpg

Pats have received 0 contribution from anyone involved in the Garropollo trade. Zero, nada, zilch. You're telling me Josh Rosen, who f#cking sucks and never had a game the quality of Jimmy G's vs Arizon or his half vs Miami, gets a second and a fifth and Jimmy G nets only a 2nd.
Sure Bill turned it into 3,458 4th and fifth round picks, but seriously, a player of Jimmy G's caliber (much better than Josh ****ing Rosen) should've netted a player who contributes...can't wait to watch Duke Dawson cover punts..

At first glance I completely agree. But in today's NFL there are other factors to consider.
Remover Garoppolo from the conversation for a moment to consider all the factors in any NFL roster decision.

- Length of time before the player becomes a free agent.
- How much the market price will be for that player should he opt for free agency.
- Is he of more value to my team, or another team?
- If the player is re-signed, how does it alter the team's salary cap and ability to sign other players?

We see this all the time when some team only gets a late round draft pick for a guy about to hit free agency. Is the price worth what may be only a half-season rental? Is it better to keep the player and possibly get nothing in return? Compensatory picks are not guaranteed, and you have to wait an extra year to get it.

Yes, a player of that caliber should result in more of a return on face value. The secondary factors alter that equation though.

I don’t think it’s wrong to question whether they could have gotten more value; it’s well known he was traded to the Niners in the middle of the night with other teams unaware he was available. You don’t think they could have gotten better draft value, especially with a conditional pick/conditional upgrade?

I think it's ridiculous to think that the Patriots didn't do everything possible to judge Garappolo's market value and deal accordingly.

I think it's ridiculous to think that the Patriots didn't do everything possible to judge Garappolo's market value and deal accordingly.

The possibility of wanting him in the NFC could make it more complex regarding value.

The possibility of wanting him in the NFC could make it more complex regarding value.

Agreed although I tend to suspect this is overstated. I'm sure all other things being equal the Patriots were happy to trade him to a team that was both in the NFC and not a complete train wreck. However, I'm sure if the Jets had offered a first rounder for him they would have taken it.

They got a 2nd round pick for JAG. That's all. They didn't get a bunch of players. They got one pick. What they did with that pick is a separate issue. It's the same with the pick they traded away for Brandin Cooks. They didn't get Brandin Cooks for Ryan Ramczyk. They got him for a first round pick.

The second round pick was an asset that BB masterfully manipulated into the players mentioned earlier, your sour grapes notwithstanding.

Mack and OBJ were all pro players Jimmy G was a backup, ************ this sounds like people wanting a 1st rnd pick for Mallet.

The second round pick was an asset that BB masterfully manipulated into the players mentioned earlier, your sour grapes notwithstanding.

I have no sour grapes to be coloring my post. I'm just noting the difference between the actual take from the trade and subsequent manipulation of the asset gained in the trade, as they are distinct. I'm sorry that comprehension of that is eluding you this evening. Perhaps a re-examination of the O.P's final sentence

Too early to say how it will come out, but do your thoughts change at all?

will help you with that understanding.

The value of dealing with SF who had Hoyer and could, ahem, *release* him so we could sign him and be comfortable with the backup QB has to be considered part of the deal (if not the tertiary effects/results of the draft pick received...which I’d agree are kind of whatever, though it would have been cool to have gotten Kittle but they also could have just, you know, drafted him). NE has made the SB 100% of the time since the trade and appears to be in position to do so again this season. He couldn’t stay, so he had to go.

No. We weren't going to pay Jimmy G as the backup and I don't think he will ever be an elite QB. Good trade.

I don't know about becoming elite or not (your guess is as good as mine) but that's a lot of missed games due to injury for only, what, 18 career games played? More so than his ability I suspect this could be his undoing (he wouldn't be the first player who would have been one of the good ones if not for injury).

But your "weren't going to pay" is short, to the point, and the fact because trading Brady was not even, IMHO, an actual consideration (I suspect the only consideration was "if Brady is going to retire at the end of this season"). As such, discussions about "letting Jimmy go" are sisyphean:
Discussion Point 1: in the salary cap era you can't have 2 20 million dollar QBs on your team.
Discussion Point 2: We are not trading Brady.
Discussion Point 3: Do we keep Jimmy?
Discussion Point 4: Go back to Discussion Point 1.

It's not too early to call Gabrittle-o what he is...an injury prone, unreliable asset.WYSIWYG and what you got with JAG is a disabled list player to be named later...sorry if this offends the stridently miffed JAG lovers everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes