PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What round to take a QB

See attached for an early draft mock with 6 QB's in the top half of the 1st round. We end up with Trask. Trading up ahead of CHI for Lance should be possible.

1) NYJ Lawrence
2) JAX Fields
5) ATL Jones
6) CAR Wilson
15) CHI Lance
16) NEP Trask

2021 NFL Mock Draft: First-round projections (msn.com)

I suspect that the writer knows something about ATL liking Jones.
=========
DRAFTEK purports to be a consensus, and does not include team preferences. There are no others early. Newman is a late second and Jones a late third.
1) Lawrence
2) Fields
6) Wilson
15) Trask
19) Lance
At 16, we pass on Lance, and draft Davis, a guard!

Last edited:
that kid newman out of wake looks like a pretty good prospect. wish we had our 3rd...f'n goodell

that kid newman out of wake looks like a pretty good prospect. wish we had our 3rd...f'n goodell
He went to Georgia to be their starter this year. Then when covid hit, he opted out. Probably will go between rounds 3-5.

He went to Georgia to be their starter this year. Then when covid hit, he opted out. Probably will go between rounds 3-5.
yeah... i heard it didn't go so well...perfect bb prospect. sounds alot like what happened with stidham. does well...transfers ....doesn't do so well.

This is going to sound like a cliché or a cop-out maybe, but if you have a guy on the board that you think is the future of the franchise, you take him ASAP, you don't get cute and hope he drops and try to do some trade back to get an extra 3rd or something. It doesn't matter if the ~experts~ see it as a reach, you have to trust your own scouting and take no chances.

Conversely, if nobody you want is on the board you just punt and try to shore up the rest of the team and look at the FA/trade market.

If we're not going to trade up to get a legit QB, I don't want to waste our mid-round pick on a probable bust. I'm no fan of Trask.
I expect BB will grab the best option at FA QB, or even swing a trade for someone like Carr or Jimmy G. So, may as well get the best DL or TE we can in the first. Those have been more successful. Don't touch a WR until the 3rd.

They have a lot of draft capital, cap dollars and not a lot of needs... move up in the first grab the best.

Don't **** around.

I'd go front seven on defense in Round One and take a QB like BYU's Zach Wilson, Florida's Kyle Trask, or Alabama's Mac Jones in round 2 at 47. This is a deep QB draft.

Sixth round worked out well back in 2000, so...

You could even go a step further though. Like yeah Darnold's a miss, he's likely getting replaced by Lawrence.

It's hard to say going 1st isn't the best option
The Patriots would do well to grab Darnold in 2021. He's a good player on the worst team in the league. His health is a big factor since he's gotten the crap knocked of out of him in NY. It's like David Carr in Houston - a very good player on a train wreck team.

See attached for an early draft mock with 6 QB's in the top half of the 1st round. We end up with Trask. Trading up ahead of CHI for Lance should be possible.

1) NYJ Lawrence
2) JAX Fields
5) ATL Jones
6) CAR Wilson
15) CHI Lance
16) NEP Trask

2021 NFL Mock Draft: First-round projections (msn.com)

I suspect that the writer knows something about ATL liking Jones.
=========
DRAFTEK purports to be a consensus, and does not include team preferences. There are no others early. Newman is a late second and Jones a late third.
1) Lawrence
2) Fields
6) Wilson

Wow, do you really think Trask is a mid-1st round QB? And I do not see Mac Jones is a top five pick, either. After Lawrence and Fields, there are much better players at other positions who can make an immediate impact.

For the Patriots at 16, there are a large number of front seven impact defenders at DE/LB and interior DL. I'm impressed with the number of big nose tackles which is a huge need. Alabama's NT Christian Barmore would be a solid pick or Tulsa LB/DE Zaven Collins would another speed guy with lots of versatility. If Pitts, the TE/WR from Florida fell to 16, the Patriots could jump on him, but I see this as a defense-first team next year, and the front seven needs depth.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back