PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What do you guys think of PFF?

What? This falls in line with what everyone on here thinks, it's the Coaching not the OL.

What do I think about PFF?

I don't think about PFF. Rarely do I visit that site. Most of the stuff they do is hidden behind a paywall which I'm not going to pay for. Not that much into statistics that I want to see what they offer... At the end of the day all that really matters is W/L ... And in this case I don't need them to tell me how good or bad a position group or player is playing in a game... I have eyes.

Cold hard football facts used to offer a good statistical analysis... Got bought out, and slapped a paywall on the site... Much like pff, I no longer go there...

Maybe if I was a gambler it would make sense to pay for the proprietary analysis of games, but im not... Hope the people who pay for it think it's worth the cost ...

It’s “bad coaching” when we’re talking about a binkie like Mac or a weapon we like… the OLine doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt for not being able to block a predictable run or pass play. Even when opposing defensive players are calling out plays in the middle of games.

The line hasn’t been perfect, Cole has dealt with growing pain type moments, Trent has jumped offsides, RT has been in flux even if Cajuste looked decent he couldn’t stay healthy… bottom line is the offensive line is one of the more talented units in the league.

Mac holds the ball too long and takes sacks now, better than him throwing to the opposing team… which is what he was doing from weeks 1-3. Patricia has to scheme better, Mac has to process faster, the line has to continue playing mistake free. It’s not because they lack talent, the entire team is poorly coached and lacks consistent execution.

PFF is toilet paper… but in this case they’re not wrong.

Last edited:
What's not to like about PFF? They thoroughly detail how they compute all of their stats and team/player grades. They're a great resource of reliable and useful information.

What's not to like about PFF? They thoroughly detail how they compute all of their stats and team/player grades. They're a great resource of reliable and useful information.
Statistic nerds who never played football at any level telling us who is good and bad… their “player grades” are flawed nonsense.

And before anyone says the typical BS, yes they provide NFL teams with data regarding personnel groupings. It’s because in the old days teams hired people to do this and PFF proved more cost effective.

No team on Earth cares about player grades, NFL coaches watch film and determine who the best players are on their own. It doesn’t mean PFF aren’t occasionally right, unfortunately they’re very often wrong.

Statistic nerds who never played football at any level telling us who is good and bad… their “player grades” are flawed nonsense.

And before anyone says the typical BS, yes they provide NFL teams with data regarding personnel groupings. It’s because in the old days teams hired people to do this and PFF proved more cost effective.

No team on Earth cares about player grades, NFL coaches watch film and determine who the best players are on their own. It doesn’t mean PFF aren’t occasionally right, unfortunately they’re very often wrong.
In fairness, it should likely be ‘no team on Earth SHOULD CARE… »

Listen, there are teams in the league run by the likes of « let’s see the cheerleaders naked » Snyder and « I’m probably responsable for at least one death AND I hired Saturday » Irsay.

Yeah, and so are NFL coaches and GMs. You don't have to search too far to find an NFL organization that often gets it wrong. I wouldn't trust about half of the current NFL head coaches on player evaluation.

Pro Football Reference is a great site for raw data. PFF offers more unconventional and nuanced analysis.

The actual data is something useful. The grades and outcomes they get are subject to opinion. The Pats have great run blocking and bad pass blocking. Somehow that's getting them a top 5 offensive line grade. I think everyone here cares more about the QB having time to throw and more often than not he doesn't. And people can say he holds it to long sometimes, but I legit watched a play in shotgun last week where the defender almost beat the snap to Mac.

Yeah, and so are NFL coaches and GMs. You don't have to search too far to find an NFL organization that often gets it wrong. I wouldn't trust about half of the current NFL head coaches on player evaluation.

Pro Football Reference is a great site for raw data. PFF offers more unconventional and nuanced analysis.
I agree, a lot of teams are run by clowns.

That being said a lot of analytics (PFF) is staring at something until one finds the preexisting bias they went looking for.

I use PFR regularly because it’s simple fact based statistics. Often these stats need context, but the site is not offering opinion as fact… just stats.

In short, PFF often makes stuff up when they don’t understand something. PFR is just raw data.

PFF is useful when you want to try to win an internet argument. Their analytics have gotten out of hand. Just when I thought "pressures" was bad, they took it up a notch and now have the worst defensive stat of "win rate %". They could justify an edge rusher who has 3 sacks on the season to be among the league's best.

As Tony Romo said something along the lines on a recent broadcast, I don't care about your stats you nerd.

I like some of the stats like qb pressures but it is a flawed system overall. It can’t emulate different team schemes and player roles. It certainly isn’t some football bible or anything like some make it out to be. But it can be a interesting read from time to time.

It's okay.
There's some useful stuff there for sure, but like others have stated a lot of their stats don't take into account momentum, schemes, player roles etc

There are lies, damn lies and then there are stats

They do a Tremendous job. Great people over there.

PFF does a good job with stat aggregation.
When they invent their own stats, or do their 'rankings', it becomes pretty suspect.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back