PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What do we want to see at Training Camp

Reiss' Sunday column discussed LBs but zero mention of Anfernee Jennings.
Foregone conclusion AF is a likely roster cut?

He's on the bubble for sure. To me it really depends on how they want to distribute their edge guys: More DE's, or more OLB's. So barring injuries, I see Jennings fighting for a spot with guys like Henry Anderson and Labrayan Ray.

What an absolutely ****ing HORRIBLE 2020 3rd round that was... All things considered, maybe Bill's Worst Round Ever.

i would add tre nixon and the rookie rb to see if they can contribute this year and the offense scheme itself
i am curious how our offense is gonna look like and the additions

i would like to see another Fattie and Trey FLowers in TC

nice new avatar
I love bad glamour shots. I had to have one for my Avatar.

I'll also add I'm curious to see if they ditch the 2 gap 3-4 front and go more towards a 4-3 front (and before someone tries to challenge me again on this, I've posted many articles stating they've run a 3-4 in two of the last 3 years).

What an absolutely ****ing HORRIBLE 2020 3rd round that was... All things considered, maybe Bill's Worst Round Ever.
After looking at it, I agree. 2009 comes in a very close 2nd considering the state of the team needing impact players, but only came out with a T with 4 picks in the 2nd round. That 2009 draft was horrendous.

"Revamp" is a weird word from Reiss. That's normally used in a positive way meaning they got better. They let veterans go that actually played in favor of retreads and injury prone players (McMillan, Wilson, McGrone), ghosts (Uche) and urban legends (Jennings and Perkins).

Last edited:
"Revamp" is a weird word from Reiss. That's normally used in a positive way meaning they got better. They let veterans go that actually played in favor of retreads and injury prone players (McMillan, Wilson, McGrone), ghosts (Uche) and urban legends (Jennings and Perkins).
After reading Reiss' article, I have to believe the Patriots have one of, if not, the worse LB corps in the league.

After reading Reiss' article, I have to believe the Patriots have one of, if not, the worse LB corps in the league.
@rochrist tell us why you have such a problem with this? Give us an argument why all the names listed above are an improvement over who they had. I wish you luck.

@rochrist tell us why you have such a problem with this? Give us an argument why all the names listed above are an improvement over who they had. I wish you luck.
I think it’s a lot of hyperbole. It’s premature to call McGone injury prone and Perkins is 2d year player who was redshirted last year as they were transitioning him to a new position for example. They’ve elected to replace old glacially slow LBers with young athletic ones. It may or may not work but to call them the worst LB crew in the league before a single minute of preseason has been played is pretty ludicrous.

I don’t see a world where Bentley and Raekwon McMillan play side by side. Both are supposed to be thumpers in the middle but Bentley is more mobile and strong. If “getting faster” in the middle of the field is really a priority one of the young fast kids (Uche, McGrone) has to (ideally) emerge next to Bentley. We can’t have two slow thumpers in the middle and McMillan isn’t very big or strong anyway.

In order to have some depth and pass rush on the outside Jennings needs to emerge. Perkins is a stiff IMO, maybe he possesses some pass rush gene where he provides something as a situational rusher but I don’t see it. I could see them bringing Hightower back as a situational OLB on the outside, I think he could still provide some juice off the edge and hold up in contain as a part time player.

The DT’s are talented but Guy is getting long in the tooth and Carl Davis can never stay healthy. Maybe he does and we get 10-12 snaps from him per game as a NT, that’s all we really need from him.

Davon Godchaux was the one free agent who actually got overpaid in my estimation, but one thing he does provide at DT is a heavy snap count, tackles and motor. He doesn’t wear down. He may get pushed back now and again but he turns around and makes the tackles fairly often. Bend don’t break by default, this works because they can sub Davis in on short downs and goal line to get situational run stops… Davis and Guy need to stay healthy.

Barmore is a stud, I want to see him progress more but he is already off to a fast start, I think he could develop into one of the best interior pass rushers in the league and all around DT’s, he was a rock against the run as well when he didn’t make any mental errors.

The corners are all mobile, strong and have decent explosion. We lack one CB with blazing speed on the outside but Jalen Mills is a good technician and possesses legit 4.4 speed.

I see Terrence Mitchell beating out Malcolm Butler on the other side. Butler maybe past his prime and he was never a great athlete. Mitchell seems to me to be a decent player who played on some really bad defenses. Ultimately I think he make a decent #2 but probably is better served as a 3. Another potential dark horse out there is Shaun Wade, he possesses some size, speed and length, if by some chance he shows out in camp I’ll feel pretty good about their overall ability to play more man coverage on the outside.

The talent and speed resides in the slot assuming they get something from Marcus Jones (health) and possibly Jack Jones. I think Jack is a year away, he needs to eat and buy into the weight program. But he apparently possesses ball skills, instincts and has superior agility… which among measurables for CB’s I’d place at the top of the list of importance.

The safeties are stacked with talent and they will play a lot, they’ll use those SS’s as LB’ers and a lot of the “speed” will come from there.

I think, assuming health, that the defense has a lot more question marks than the offense but both sides of the ball will need young guys to contribute… the defense just needs more of them to contribute.

It would concern me but I think back to that decade in between 2005-2013 when Brady was one of the highest paid players in the league, over that period the defense was assembled on the cheap and they suffered some bad injuries to guys they considered building block type players… despite that BB always cobbled together a serviceable D from spare parts and duct tape.

This D has a chance to be very good if healthy and the young kids emerge, they could also end up being a patchwork crew that does their best to no avail… in which case next years bounty of cap space and draft picks will be heavily invested in the D.

Also, Julian Edelman on Mac Jones...

The arrow is pointing up for Mac Jones. After a promising rookie campaign for the New England Patriots, the 23-year-old has by all accounts enjoyed a strong spring and appears well-positioned to make big strides in his second season.

But Julian Edelman would like to add a quick word of caution.

The former Patriots wide receiver has been watching Jones' development from afar and believes New England's first-round draft pick needs to stay focused on a few key areas to find success in 2022.

"If he strengthens up, and he uses last year for the starting point, and he doesn’t smell his own roses and he goes out and he gets better this year – because we ultimately see our biggest leaps from that Year 1 to Year 2 for that quarterback, I think he could be a good quarterback," Edelman said Monday during an appearance on the "I AM ATHLETE" podcast. "He's not quite there yet."

Edelman told our Tom E. Curran in February that Jones needs to "physically get stronger" to be better-equipped for the rigors of a 17-game NFL season. Jones appears to have embraced that challenge, but there's also a factor out of Jones' control that has Edelman a bit concerned.

Edelman pointed out that Tom Brady was aided by an excellent defense and a strong running game during his first four seasons as New England's starter -- and noted Jones doesn't have nearly that same supporting cast entering the 2022 season.

"You've got to look at the Patriots back in 2001 to 2004, those first three Super Bowls. I mean, they weren’t tossing the ball out the stadium. It was a defensive-built team," Edelman said. "That’s the thing that I’m worried about with the Patriots: Is their defense gonna be there to allow Mac to have this slow progression into becoming what he becomes?"

If this ^ was said by a poster here the zealots would be calling them a homer...

The arrow is pointing up for Mac Jones. After a promising rookie campaign for the New England Patriots, the 23-year-old has by all accounts enjoyed a strong spring and appears well-positioned to make big strides in his second season.

The former Patriots wide receiver has been watching Jones' development from afar and believes New England's first-round draft pick needs to stay focused on a few key areas to find success in 2022.

"If he strengthens up, and he uses last year for the starting point, and he doesn’t smell his own roses and he goes out and he gets better this year – because we ultimately see our biggest leaps from that Year 1 to Year 2 for that quarterback, I think he could be a good quarterback," Edelman said Monday during an appearance on the "I AM ATHLETE" podcast. "He's not quite there yet."

Edelman told our Tom E. Curran in February that Jones needs to "physically get stronger" to be better-equipped for the rigors of a 17-game NFL season. Jones appears to have embraced that challenge, but there's also a factor out of Jones' control that has Edelman a bit concerned.

Edelman pointed out that Tom Brady was aided by an excellent defense and a strong running game during his first four seasons as New England's starter -- and noted Jones doesn't have nearly that same supporting cast entering the 2022 season.

"You've got to look at the Patriots back in 2001 to 2004, those first three Super Bowls. I mean, they weren’t tossing the ball out the stadium. It was a defensive-built team," Edelman said. "That’s the thing that I’m worried about with the Patriots: Is their defense gonna be there to allow Mac to have this slow progression into becoming what he becomes?"

If this ^ was said by a poster here the zealots would be calling them a homer...
Well they ought to have the running game part.

To be fair, regional sports legends tend to have some homer tendencies.

I don't disagree with JE though.

Glad he said the part about the year 1-2 jump for QB's. All we hear is "three years, you have to give him three years, it takes three years" ... Year two is the most important year by far.

I'm liking 11 on camera. Good looking guy, super cool with those shades on and a white T. Obviously not afraid to speak his mind. Can sit down with the brothers and break bread with Hebrews. Good guy to have in the media as a Pats fan.

Well they ought to have the running game part.
Assuming the OLine gels, everyone stays healthy and executes the offense will be very good.

Glad he said the part about the year 1-2 jump for QB's. All we hear is "three years, you have to give him three years, it takes three years" ... Year two is the most important year by far.

I'm liking 11 on camera. Good looking guy, super cool with those shades on and a white T. Obviously not afraid to speak his mind. Can sit down with the brothers and break bread with Hebrews. Good guy to have in the media as a Pats fan.
In a perfect world QB’s get better the longer they play (more cerebral), but a lot of that is out of their hands. The team around them and injuries often determine that.

Year two should be much better than year one regardless.

I love bad glamour shots. I had to have one for my Avatar.

I'll also add I'm curious to see if they ditch the 2 gap 3-4 front and go more towards a 4-3 front (and before someone tries to challenge me again on this, I've posted many articles stating they've run a 3-4 in two of the last 3 years).
trey flowers would make sense and help us in a 4-3 imo bc we don't really have a big DE for the 4-3 typical DE type except Wise and Judon. Perkins Jennings Uche would be more LB types in this front except sub packages of course
After looking at it, I agree. 2009 comes in a very close 2nd considering the state of the team needing impact players, but only came out with a T with 4 picks in the 2nd round. That 2009 draft was horrendous.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back