PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Welcome Mac Jones

It's weird how the narrative was that Mac Jones is a bad athlete. Even looking like he doesn't work out he put up solid numbers in his drills including a 4.68 40.

It's weird how the narrative was that Mac Jones is a bad athlete. Even looking like he doesn't work out he put up solid numbers in his drills including a 4.68 40.

Yep, I pointed this out before. Better than Brady and basically on a par with Mahomes. Not quite as good in the 3 cone.

Last edited:
Just a note that I think should be put in this thread:

Y'all need to remember that pro day numbers ≠ combine numbers. And, historically, pro day numbers are more flattering to the players.

Mac Jones may never start a game for the Pats.

Bill Belichick has made moves this offseason with FA and the draft to have a team for this upcoming season that will have a strong defense both passing and running games. He has Cam who has done well, past history, with good TEs in the game so Bill got two TEs. Bill acquired WRs, just enough, but not the type that has distance and hands. Bill has built a run and grind it out offense, old school football for this season.

So if Cam stays healthy, he has targets to throw to. He has backs that can run. Cam also can run making the running game that much tougher to defend against. This being said we could see a good season of mostly running with some passing to mix things up for the Pats.

The 49ers will go with Jimmy G this season if he stays healthy they will put him up for trade in March 2022 for less than a first rounder in the draft.

Bill will be thinking about acquiring Jimmy G as his starter for 2022/2023.

Where does Mac Jones fit in?

I think trade material. Not all of the 5 QBs will work out and there will be injured QBs and teams that want a different QB. Lots of potential places for a trade with a great return.
huh, you think BB drafted a QB in the first round for trade material? You sound like a hot take from Beddard

I think teams will regret passing on mac jones. I was very high on him. People just look too much into who has athleticism and a cannon arm. Jones has good mobility. He’s also a much better prospect than stidham was.
Agree 100%. He’s also a better prospect than Jimmy G was coming out of college.

How come I keep reading 4.84 for Jones. Even 4.84 isn’t bad for a QB. But if he ran a 4.68 or 4.72, where does the “he’s a statue” crap come from? 4.68 Or 4.72 is faster than most QBs.

But I too am skeptical of Brady's official hand measurement.

I believe Brady's hand measurements were done at the combine which means they were confirmed independently and are very reliable. An image of Brady's combine page was provided earlier.

Yep, I pointed this out before. Better than Brady and basically on a par with Mahomes. Not quite as good in the 3 cone.
Brady and Manning proved that Combine stats are not as important than IQ, Accuracy and Leadership when it comes to the QB position.
The present QB records will stay along time with this infatuation with speed at the QB position. Because most of these dual threat QB’s are going to be on IR most of their career.
Mac runs a faster 40 than Rodgers but I never here anyone complaining about his speed.
I like the pick. I’ll take the QB over the RB with a QB number anyday

How come I keep reading 4.84 for Jones. Even 4.84 isn’t bad for a QB. But if he ran a 4.68 or 4.72, where does the “he’s a statue” crap come from? 4.68 Or 4.72 is faster than most QBs.
Because he runs as rarely as Brady does. He would rather go to his check down or throw it away than run. That makes him a statue to certain people.

Because he runs as rarely as Brady does. He would rather go to his check down or throw it away than run. That makes him a statue to certain people.
I’ve seen him run, he does seem very awkward when he runs. That being said, 4.68 or 4.72 or even 4.84 is not slow for A QB.

I’ve seen him run, he does seem very awkward when he runs. That being said, 4.68 or 4.72 or even 4.84 is not slow for A QB.
Yeah, especially that play where he wasn’t sure if he was diving or sliding. Yikes! But he definitely knows how to extend plays with his feet.

This footage against LSU is as Brady-esque as it gets. His footwork, movement, mannerisms, the way he will sometimes stand completely still in the pocket when well-protected. Accurate, always on time. So good.

I think I know where David Andrews stand on who he wants as QB. lol.
I think Andrews felt like how some of us felt last year watching that over this.

Yeah, especially that play where he wasn’t sure if he was diving or sliding. Yikes! But he definitely knows how to extend plays with his feet.
The sliding/diving thing gets talked about in this video at around 27:43. Apparently it was because of a new rule in college that they wanted to work around. He needs to work on it though.

The sliding/diving thing gets talked about in this video at around 27:43. Apparently it was because of a new rule in college that they wanted to work around. He needs to work on it though.
I have a feeling the Pats’ coaches will put him through every possible scenario.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back