PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Welcome Mac Jones

Very happy with this pick, like someone said in the draft thread before the call, even if BB was not totally sold on Mac Jones at that point you in need of a QB, you get the prospect, it was so much value even for a future, who knows, trade.

People saying he is the top 5 QB of the draft but he could very well be the #4 or #3, there are questions about Fields (great value for Chicago at that point as well), Wilson is on the Jete and Lance is very raw by all accounts. Just like Jones may as well be really worse than all these players, we will have an idea in a couple years but I'm happy that we got the player and didn't trade up for it. The match seems perfect with our system. Jones could turn into a total bust if drafted by a mediocre franchise. Here he will have to work his arse off and it seems he is on the right mindset.

I was afraid the Vikings could get him at #14, their cap situation with Cousins is complicated but it's not like he's setting the world on fire, actually he's turning into Andy Dalton territory and it would be a good pick for the Vikings thinking 2 years down the road, so thanks Jets for moving up there.

I really don't know why the broncos and panthers didn't take a QB, only one of them taking a QB and BB would have to move up and even then, high chances of us getting only a good player from other position. The Panthers pick, great player, but I got the impression they didn't get any offer and were a little lost there.

Last edited:
Very happy with this pick, like someone said in the draft thread before the call, even if BB was not totally sold on Mac Jones at that point you in need of a QB, you get the prospect, it was so much value even for a future, who knows, trade.

People saying he is the top 5 QB of the draft but he could very well be the #4 or #3, there are questions about Fields (great value for Chicago at that point as well), Wilson is on the Jete and Lance is very raw by all accounts. Just like Jones may as well be really worse than all these players, we will have an idea in a couple years but I'm happy that we got the player and didn't trade up for it. The match seems perfect with our system. Jones could turn into a total bust if drafted by a mediocre franchise. Here he will have to work his arse off and it seems he is on the right mindset.

I was afraid the Vikings could get him at #14, their cap situation with Cousins is complicated but it's not like he's setting the world on fire, actually he's turning into Andy Dalton territory and it would be a good pick for the Vikings thinking 2 years down the road, so thanks Jets for moving up there.
I was worried Minnesota and Denver before them, were gonna take Jones. And then when our pick was coming up, I fully expected Belichick to Belichick, thankfully he didn’t. I don’t think I’ve ever been this happy with a Belichick 1st round pick. I literally screamed a scream of joy like some of those reaction videos on YouTube.

“I don’t like him,” said the scout. “Smart guy. That’s it.”
That reads like something straight put of a pre-moneyball old meathead baseball scout's mouth lol

Win and everything should fall into place

They will always have our back won't they

Not really. I’m glad we got anyone who might be better than cam. I let out a sigh of relief when we didn’t get Rutgers special team units and eight trade downs. I wanted that TE guy and a number one WR but it didn’t come out. It’s never even been close; my guesses and reality

Atlantic article on his hard work to even get recruited

paraphrasing here:

When Mac Jones was in high school, he wasn't recruited. At all. So...He started sending messages to the Twitter account of Rivals, asking them to set up a profile for him. They told him to reach out to their analyst that covers his area and ask him directly. The only problem was, he couldn't get the analyst to respond to him. So Jones went and found him at an area tournament being held and convinced him to create a profile for him.

Shortly thereafter, Jones finally got an invite to a Rivals camp. He did well, but as a still unknown, he was still on the outside looking in for these camps.. He didn't give up trying to convince people to let him attend. And not only did Jones get his foot in the door and show up, he started dominating. He ended up winning 4 or 5 MVP's at these camps.

One common competition consisted of the players throwing footballs into nets all over the field. To the corner end zone, throwing on the run, hitting targets after short rolls, etc. Mac had gone out and bought a bunch of nets and set them up in his backyard and had practiced relentlessly.

His break was getting into a camp featuring Trevor Lawrence, who was a year behind him in HS but already a #1 recruit. The camp had the throwing drill described above. The result? He crushed the final round and won the competition over Lawrence. That opened doors for him, including a call from Alabama...

Here's a nice pre-draft interview with Mac Jones on the Dan Patrick show about 5 months before the draft.
Shows a little more of his personality.

Not really. I’m glad we got anyone who might be better than cam. I let out a sigh of relief when we didn’t get Rutgers special team units and eight trade downs. I wanted that TE guy and a number one WR but it didn’t come out. It’s never even been close; my guesses and reality
I am happy with the pick either but I did not think we will get Jones at 15 as well. I thought a trade up would be neccesary but I am Glad we did not had to pay future draft capital. If Jones turns out to be the QBOTF it will be one of the biggest steals.

I get these are the fashionable jokes on this board, but the players Belichick has drafted from Rutgers are:

Devin McCourty (pick 32)
Logan Ryan (3rd round)
Duron Harmon (3rd round)
Steve Beauharnais (7th round)

McCourty is the only first round player they chose, and he's been an all-time Patriot. Ryan and Harmon have been solid pros, and not just special teams nobodies. Beauharnais was a 7th rounder, which barely counts.

As for trading down, Belichick has as much history trading UP in the first round as down, even if it's only by a few spots. Also, some of those trade downs have been very minor, like going from 7 to 10 and drafting Mayo, or going from 27 to 32 and drafting the aforementioned McCourty. He traded up to get Warren, Hightower, and Jones. And any time he's had a pick in the top 20, he's used it in the top 20 (that I can recall).

People have given themselves PTSD for draft behaviors that don't actually happen. "I was worried Belichick would trade #15 for 2 3rd rounders and then draft a kicker!"

Atlantic article on his hard work to even get recruited

paraphrasing here:

When Mac Jones was in high school, he wasn't recruited. At all. So...He started sending messages to the Twitter account of Rivals, asking them to set up a profile for him. They told him to reach out to their analyst that covers his area and ask him directly. The only problem was, he couldn't get the analyst to respond to him. So Jones went and found him at an area tournament being held and convinced him to create a profile for him.

Shortly thereafter, Jones finally got an invite to a Rivals camp. He did well, but as a still unknown, he was still on the outside looking in for these camps.. He didn't give up trying to convince people to let him attend. And not only did Jones get his foot in the door and show up, he started dominating. He ended up winning 4 or 5 MVP's at these camps.

One common competition consisted of the players throwing footballs into nets all over the field. To the corner end zone, throwing on the run, hitting targets after short rolls, etc. Mac had gone out and bought a bunch of nets and set them up in his backyard and had practiced relentlessly.

His break was getting into a camp featuring Trevor Lawrence, who was a year behind him in HS but already a #1 recruit. The camp had the throwing drill described above. The result? He crushed the final round and won the competition over Lawrence. That opened doors for him, including a call from Alabama...

Mac Jones appears to be incredibly savvy, much more so than Brady

Mac Jones hand size: 9.75 inches

TB12 hand side 9.38 inches.

Good. Decent size hands to hold onto that cold football.

Mac Jones hand size: 9.75 inches

TB12 hand side 9.38 inches.

Good. Decent size hands to hold onto that cold football.

Where did you find that TB12 hand measurement?

Edit: I see there was an article about it last year stating 9.38, but I’m curious about that source. I couldn’t find that info online when searching a few times ofer the years.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Back