PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Welcome Mac Jones

I get the Brady/Jones comparisons but after watching the film of his performance vs Tennessee in 2020 I think he looks more like Peyton Manning.
Either way BB scored.

I get the Brady/Jones comparisons but after watching the film of his performance vs Tennessee in 2020 I think he looks more like Peyton Manning.
Either way BB scored.
I’ve been thinking that too, but didn’t want to say it.

Don't know if this was posted yet . but recommend a decent read re Mac in NE.

Of the many futile knocks on Jones the one about velocity of his ball had some validity. I didn't think that had much to do with “big arm“ “arguments“ but the way he throws and i thought something along the lines in this article:

“One thing Jones will definitely need to overcome is the way he consistently recoils after every throw“

“The good thing is this is fixable ... and once fixed, you’ll see the velocity on his throws increase.“

Many young QBs needed time to develop confident NFL velocity throws incl. Tom. There is no such thing as “NFL ready“ college QB.
No need to rush him, he has plenty to work on like every rookie QB.

Last edited:
Anonymous evaluators and executives on Mac Jones (from The Athletic):

The Mac Jones selection invites questions. Do the Patriots have the talent to support him? Without Tom Brady, are they just another team that overspent in free agency on its way to disappointment? And, of course, when will New England name Jones its starter?

“I don’t think Mac Jones sees the field for a while,” an evaluator said. “I’ll have a better feel when we see the schedule, when the bye falls, when their division games are, when the Tampa game is, those things. Is he starting by November? No, he’s not. Because Cam (Newton) wasn’t bad early in the year and they really should have won more of those games, and he just wasn’t the same after getting COVID. I think Cam is going to be entrenched there for a little bit.”

Another exec thought Jones would be in the lineup around Week 6. The question is unanswerable this early.

“You put the guys around him, let him distribute, yes, Mac Jones can be good, because he was really accurate,” another exec said. “He probably didn’t get enough credit for how he threw the ball, how accurate he was. He put it on those guys where they could run after the catch. There was no adjusting to the ball or anything like that. The guy was super accurate and rarely made a bad decision. If last year is any indication, Cam is on the downard slant. I think they’ll pile it on Mac Jones, and he is going to be able to handle it.”

How well the Patriots can pass-protect will be a key variable for any quarterback

“The biggest thing is, can he withstand getting hit and what is he like once he takes some hits?” an exec said, “but as far as getting the ball out early and winning pre-snap, he is as good as anybody.”

The conventional ground game could be critical for Jones, according to an evaluator who watched him closely at Alabama. This evaluator pointed to the difference between Ryan Tannehill in Miami and Ryan Tannehill in Tennessee to illustrate how orientation around the ground game can make a difference — and how it needs to make the difference if Jones is going to replicate his college success.

“What did Alabama do better than anybody in the country? Run the ball,” this evaluator said. “Is he going to have the same luxury in the NFL where the field is wide open to him and his team has mismatches across the board? For him to replicate the success he’s had at the college level, it’s going to take a similar situation.”

No, he’s not. Because Cam (Newton) wasn’t bad early in the year and they really should have won more of those games

this guy is an absolute idiot

The only game Newton looked good passing in early was the Seahawks game which was the worst secondary in the league. The 2 other games won before he got covid the Pats ran for 220 and 250 yards.

He was also the direct result of losses to the broncos and bills with his turnovers.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back