PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Welcome Mac Jones

The Lions celebration was ridiculous. I'd rather us not celebrate like that over a draft pick.

Jones has the highest adjusted completion percentage ever recorded by PFF in a single season. His poise, decision making & mobility inside the pocket are right there with anyone in this class.

I wanted them to come away from the draft with Fields, Lance or Jones towards the beginning of the draft process. While I preferred Fields & recognize Jones doesn’t have the upside of either of them he is worthy of a first round pick. His arm strength is underrated based on his deep passing ability. I think Philip Rivers is a decent comparison for potential upside given his competitiveness & skillset.

Welcome aboard!

Im guessing that they liked Jones more than Fields. Bill must have known a team like Chicago would try and move up to get him yet he stayed put at 15. If they had wanted fields, they would have made the move but they did not.
I think the NEP liked Fields but not enough to give up their 2021 1st and 5th and 2022 1st and 4th to move up a couple of spots which tells me they didn't see that big of a difference between he and Jones.

It would have been less than what CHI gave up but my point remains the same. They didn't see a big enough gap between the players to justify trading a bevy of picks to move up a few spots.

I think the NEP liked Fields but not enough to give up their 2021 1st and 5th and 2022 1st and 4th to move up a couple of spots which tells me they didn't see that big of a difference between he and Jones.

It would have been less than what CHI gave up but my point remains the same. They didn't see a big enough gap between the players to justify trading a bevy of picks to move up a few spots.
I think they want to stick with what works and Jones is the QB that most fits the scheme of what we've been doing on offense for 20 years. Nobody should expect Jones to be Brady but he is closer to what Brady is compared to Fields.

I respect the lack of emotion from our guys. You just drafted a kid out of college who hasn't done anything in the pros. Most first rounders don't pan out. Once you see him making game winning plays then you celebrate.

You can say that about most players.

I think they want to stick with what works and Jones is the QB that most fits the scheme of what we've been doing on offense for 20 years. Nobody should expect Jones to be Brady but he is closer to what Brady is compared to Fields.

Nobody is brady. I still love the pocket passer. This guy has the same mobility as drew brees. They both ran the same time.

What I find funny is the "high floor/low ceiling" talk about prospects.

Like what was Tom Brady's supposed ceiling when he was taken 199 overall in 2000? What did Ryan Leaf's "higher ceiling than Peyton Manning" get anybody? I bet some dink was saying Joe Montana was a "low ceiling" guy too compared to *checks notes* JACK THOMPSON lol

It's not that physical attributes don't matter, it's that they're wildly overblown for a position where the vast majority of busts are MENTAL busts. 99 times out of 100 a QB tanks because they're too dumb for the pros.

Kyle Boller could throw it out of the stadium but he had zero value as a player because he was dumb as a stump.
Jones had a 4.0 GPA

So sick about hearing of physical tools. A QB is not measured on just physical tools. I hope jones gets on the field quick. Bill can say cam is our QB but he’s not the future of this franchise.
Tom Brady is apparently the first NFL quarterback to actually reach his ceiling.

Tom Brady is apparently the first NFL quarterback to actually reach his ceiling.
Since Tom isn't very fast, didn't have the strongest arm, and wasn't drafted in the first round, what is his ceiling? This ceiling stuff is stupid, the greatest qb's to ever play were pocket passers.

I was wondering about this. Do the Pats carry 3 QB's?
Most likely, I would say, unless they convince themselves that Stid isn't good enough to be a backup and spot starter and Cam looks healthy enough to hope he can be a reliable backup should Jones pass him on the depth chart.

Yea I am gonna root for him...just deep in my stomach I think fields is going to be better. I loved the way he played in the national championship being injuried in all...
As a Patriots fan, I hope it gives Jones another chip on his shoulder, so many "experts" saying Fields will be a better QB than he is.

If Mac had not been there at 15, imagine how pissed this entire board would be lol. We would have traded down
I expected we would not move up and none of the top 5 QBs would be there at #15 and we'd take BPA.

I'm ecstatic that we have Jones, and hoping the rest of the board gets on the Jones bandwagon.

Love the one you're with, baby!

We gotta admit the odds of us picking a 1st round QB were never in our favor.

BB simply was not going to do what CHI did and spend next years 1st to move up.

Clearly we could have, our pick swap was more attractive than CHI's was, but we didn't.

If you want to live in an alternate reality, consider that taking an Alabama QB is a lot more exciting than taking a Rutgers DB.

Before this off season I though we could be looking at two more years of rebuilding.

Now, with the FA splurge and a potential future staring QB, I think we've knocked at least one year off that, maybe more if Mac picks things up quickly.

I wanna see them add a big bodied receiver with speed.
What BB looks for in a WR:

#1 has to be able to get off (the line of scrimmage) whether (with) size, speed, quicks or any combination of the three, then has to be able to catch, can improve hands to some degree,” Belichick wrote. “Has to be able to run disciplined routes, not necessarily smart, just disciplined, have to get where they’re going (and) how they’re getting there. Cannot do his own thing. Receiver needs good running ability after the catch, want to hit the receivers on the run (and) let them run with ball either over, elude or by with speed. Speed only enters the equation in relation to players’ ability to escape the (line of scrimmage). Good leap and timing are more important than speed — need good upper body strength and quickness. Frail guy without good quickness is dead. A mismatch type guy, quick, elusive, big, physical type guy or any combo of those qualities can be your third receiver.

Seems he looks for acceleration (quick off the line) rather than velocity (peak speed).

I too would like him to find a big outside WR with speed, it'll be interesting to see how the rest of the draft goes.

BB likes to build the team from the inside out, so IMO it's more likely we'll see a slot WR drafted than a stretch the field WR.

People really think the Pats draft room should be jumping around like idiots like the Lions draft room did.

Team that has been there before, many times vs a team that has been a laughing stock for decades
Reminds me of BB calmly looking over the field and deciding not to call a time out then Petey Carroll spending his time thinking about why BB didn't call a time out instead of questioning if it was a good idea to throw instead of run.

People seem to forget that Carroll was coach of the Patriots and it didn't go well. That rah-rah stuff only takes you so far. Act like you've been there before

I respect the lack of emotion from our guys. You just drafted a kid out of college who hasn't done anything in the pros. Most first rounders don't pan out. Once you see him making game winning plays then you celebrate.
To each his own. Given our lack of clarity at the QB position, it's a lot more exciting to know we at least have a high caliber rookie QB joining our team rather than a BPA pick like the LB, OL or DB picks right after ours were. If he doesn't make it, so be it, but at least we've done something to try to address our need at the most important position in all of sport, NFL QB.

I wanted them to come away from the draft with Fields, Lance or Jones towards the beginning of the draft process. While I preferred Fields & recognize Jones doesn’t have the upside of either of them he is worthy of a first round pick. His arm strength is underrated based on his deep passing ability. I think Philip Rivers is a decent comparison for potential upside given his competitiveness & skillset.
I like the Philip Rivers comp better than one I heard earlier, which was Derek Carr. I think Jones will be better than Carr. He'll have better coaching and a lot more protection during his development phase. He has a lot more competitive intensity and better football IQ than Carr does. A Drew Brees comp is also a satisfying one, although Drew is more willing to go off-script than Mac is. It seems everyone is afraid to make the Brady comp for good reason, TFB is in a league of his own, but I agree with @patfanken 's post earlier, it's not hard to see similarities between the two comparing them as they enter their first season.

Since Tom isn't very fast, didn't have the strongest arm, and wasn't drafted in the first round, what is his ceiling? This ceiling stuff is stupid, the greatest qb's to ever play were pocket passers.
Humans are good at comparing small numbers, beyond that the intellect stumbles. Scouts like measurables. It lets them boil things down to "4.6 is better than 4.8" so they can sleep well at night. That's why all the rest of the stuff gets labeled as "intangibles". Well, they are tangible, but not measurable. Ignore them at your peril.

Tom's won 7 Super Bowls, and is now generally considered the best QB in the game's history. So you can imagine how far below their ceilings guys like Manning, Elway, and all those running QBs have finished. I mean, they obviously didn't apply themselves at all. How is it even possible that Randall Cunningham didn't win 10+ Super Bowls, for example? I mean, his ceiling must have been so much higher than Brady's.

It's either that, or "ceiling" is just being used as convenient nonsense.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back