PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welcome back Isaiah Wynn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ehhh, I think he's got a point, and I'm a huge fan of Michel. If I'd known we wanted an early-down, bell-cow type of back, then I would have advocated for Chubb. You can check my post history in the draft forum on that -- I thought Michel was the best fit for a multi-dimensional weapon on offense as an excellent change-of-pace back with the ability to pass-block and run occasional routes. I thought I'd be a bigger Dion Lewis, trading off some agility for power. I also said that there was a reason that Chubb was the starter at UGA.

The way we've used Michel hasn't been the optimal fit for his projections; it may be that he's gained weight, or his knees have sapped his explosiveness, or that he's not as good as he appeared, but the player and the role he has currently don't seem to be a perfect mesh.

That said, both teams can come out as winners, even if one player is better than the other. Michel was instrumental to last year's playoff run. Chubb may have been able to do the same. Maybe not behind our line. We'll never truly know. But it seems presumptuous to demean people for preferring Chubb. He's been the superior player thus far in their careers, even though Michel has had big moments in key games. It's okay to say we got a "B" player and they got the "A+" player in this scenario. The overall team success is what I care about, anyway, not the individual contributions.

My problem with this debate is that it is being led in a way where choosing Michel was some kind of bad decision which it clearly was not. He was maybe the most impressive rookie skill player in his first season that his team has seen.

Is Chubb looking better ? Sure. I mean lets see what happens when the Browns at some point actually are consistently leading in games and he has to run into fronts when opponents are expecting the run. But generally so far he has been a better player.

That being said this is not a black and white situation. This doesn't make Michel a bust or bad choice. The team certainly didn't drop the ball. They got a player out of their #32 pick that ran them to a SB title.

This is not a Rashaad Penny situation.

My issue is with a) the hyperbole that people use to marginalize Michel and his accomplishments and b) with the naivety of people that just assume everything a player does for team A it automatically translates to team B.

Last edited:
Just Wynn baby

My problem with this debate is that it is being led in a way where choosing Michel was some kind of bad decision which it clearly was not.

You're starting with a false premise. It is absolutely not clear that choosing Michel was not a bad decision.

Thank god. Let’s load Newhouse into a cannon and shoot him into the sun.
Given Newhouse's season long performance, there's a good chance he'd miss the sun.

Just Wynn baby

Why activate him now? I thought the geniuses said players should be activated at last minute (Saturday afternoon) to keep opponent guessing what Pats would do for game plan purposes. Lmao

Wynn should’ve a huge upgrade over Newhouse, the only good thing we can say about Newhouse is despite his best effort, he didn’t get Brady killed.

Pats need to use a mid round pick on a burner punt returner type guy. It’s amazing that they have such non threats as Bolden and Sanu returning kicks.

I have faith that Brady and McDaniels will figure it out once Wynn gets back. Our offensive woes are the result of bad offensive line play and a lack of a heavy personnel group like last year. It created favorable matchups for play action passing. Maybe carry extra tackles and use tackle-eligible since none of our TEs block as well as Dwayne Allen or Rob Gronkowski. Using Elandon Roberts at FB helps too given injuries to Develin and Johnson.

We won 21 straight games in 2003-04 and many were comebacks or by 3 points or overtime. This team reminds me of those teams and I loved those teams. I think this team will win every remaining game this year through the Super Bowl. And into next year... so... write it in pen! 18-1 seven time Super Bowl Champs!

Oh, and welcome back Isaiah Wynn.

If they are depleted, Watson/Izzo/Lacosse aren't going to carry this team the way Gronk did
Gronk didn’t carry this team last year.

Not the way he typically did, but he was a massive part of their shift into a power run identity late in the year, which I covered right after that quote (I think... posting on an iPad makes me lazy). Point is, Gronk was still a player that made certain types of offenses possible. We don’t have a TE who can do that this year, which increases the importance of healthy WRs.

Have you all seen this review of Wynn? I promise it is the funniest and informative film you will watch of him.

Last edited:
I think this team will win every remaining game this year through the Super Bowl. And into next year... so... write it in pen! 18-1 seven time Super Bowl Champs!

I'm just grateful you didn't tell me to book it. I've yet to see anything good come of a booking :D

Why activate him now? I thought the geniuses said players should be activated at last minute (Saturday afternoon) to keep opponent guessing what Pats would do for game plan purposes. Lmao
This is probably a fair question, since they’ve often waited until the last minute to make moves. I’m wondering if it’s more beneficial to wait and try to keep opponents guessing as it pertains to skill position players? Regardless, I’m curious as well.

This is probably a fair question, since they’ve often waited until the last minute to make moves. I’m wondering if it’s more beneficial to wait and try to keep opponents guessing as it pertains to skill position players? Regardless, I’m curious as well.

My guess is that it is fairly obvious Wynn would play when healthy. No point playing any games.

There was also no hesitation when BB was asked at the start of the week about Wynn's activation. He openly said "they want to make him active."

This is in stark contrast to the more open ended answers he usually gives about players.

Historically, it is clear that BB likes to keep opponents guessing and usually activates players on the last day.

You know it, I know it.. anyone who follows the team even a little bit knows it.

The Dallas defense is interesting. Some games, they have a good pass rush. Other games, it is nonexistent. Either way, Wynn will be a boost to slowing down some of those guys. I'm hoping we can run on them a little too. Hopefully Watson and LaCosse can step up in the run block game. I'm also hoping Elandon Roberts is getting more comfortable at FB and can knock some people over.

What? Gronk is one of the biggest reasons they were able to morph into a power running team at the end of the season.

Here's the thing why Wynn coming back is so important. It's not like he's the instant savior. But the OL will improve incrementally. Having a guy out there with the skills to block his man one on one, makes EVERYONE else's job that much easier. Remember we aren't talking about making THAT much of an improvement. Keeping Brady clean even a second longer widens the route options that much more.

BTW- even WITH Newhouse, the Pats pass protection has hasn't been all that bad this year. Brady has been sacked just 17 times. That's 4th fewest in the NFL (Dallas at 12 is the best) And the 51 QB hits is fewer than the 54 Dallas has allowed with their all world OL.

The run game is another issue all together. Losing, Gronk, Devlin, AND Andrews were HUGE hits. It's not JUST the OL that creates success or failure for the run game. Then when you add Wynn, this is over half your run lane creation. So just having Wynn coming back is not going to SOLVE the running game issues, though it should improve it...incrementally.

So in the end, I see Wynn's return as very important to the Pats offense, but not the "answer" to all the issues. But that being said I think the answers ARE out there. In other words, I think the "talent" we have on hand is enough to produce something close to the kind of offense we've become used to as it develops over the last 6 games of the season. It would seem at this point we are 14 games into our season long PREseason. Hopefully, come the start of the REAL season in January, we will have this offense thing figured out.

Wynn's return in the running and screen-pass game improves the entire line. If the Patriots could reliably rush off tackle or handle outside linebackers on screen passes to the left side, it will make draw plays and play action better. The way it is now, defenses load up Newhouse and crush the pocket on almost every play on the left side. So much attention is paid to that side of the line without Gronk and Develin around to shore things up, it leaves the other linemen vulnerable to stunts and blitzes.

Wynn's return will be noticeable, even if he's on a snap count for a few weeks while he adjusts to NFL speed after so much time off. I expect James White to have a big game this weekend due to the improvement in the OL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back