PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 3 Pre Game Thread - Ravens @ Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking about this game a bunch and wondering how Bill is going to play the Ravens RPO game.

A couple of points. First I think a KEY element to the success of the defense will be how well we take advantage of the RT situation. Ronny Stanley is going to be out. His replacement is going to be either Keith Mackari, whose primary role is as a back up C, but has started 10 games as a RT over the last 2 years. He is a short armed, under weight, low draft pick, who SHOULD be the focus of the defense.

The other possibility is Ja'wan James, who WAS a solid RT in the league, BUT hasn't taken an NFL snap since the middle of the 2019 season. Now a torn Achilles and a ACL later James is considered the likely starter. Another interesting note I read is that James during the preseason was playing primarily a back up LT as they slowly brought him up to playing shape. He's been inactive for the first 2 games.

The bad news is that the Ravens got most of their DB's and WR's that have missed the first 2 games.

1. My thinking on this is that we want to see a 3-4 alignment which will be the best scheme to contain Jackson. And I want Barmore lining up on the outside shoulder of whomever the RT is and systematically abusing him play after play. The RT is usually on the weak side (split end) so you have the 3-4 DE lining up on the outside eye of the RT. When we are in a 4-3 alignment on passing downs, I'd have Judon on the RT to again reign havoc on that poor soul.

2. Standard protocol on Jackson is to try and force him to scramble to the left and NOT the right. His stats when he scrambles left suck, and when he scrambles right are great. It isn't rocket science. Of course easy to point out, but much harder to do on the field with someone of Jackson's skill set. Again, I'd have my best guys on the right to start with and scheming constant pressure coming from the Right either by alignment or personnel.

3. In my opinion this is a 3 safety game, where we see 3 CB's and 3 S's on passing downs and 2 and 3 on run downs. If the Pats choose to have a mirror guy on Jackson, they have the perfect set of S's to do it. Duggar is the obvious choice, but might not play. Peppers is my personal choice. He is faster quicker and has already shown up in the run game. Like Duggar, he's sometimes suspect against the pass. With Peppers, Phillips and McCourty on the field we have 3 guys with CB speed, who can play deep, mirror Jackson and 2 who can easily move to the second level when necessary. Another secondary item is we normally play a lot of single high S. I'd show that to Jackson presnap a bunch, but then tease him into throwing into a 2 deep reality.

4. We will likely be in some sort of zone coverage because you really don't want any of you defenders with the backs to the LOS when Jackson is back there. I would like to see some match up zones on the 2nd level with more of a 3-6-2 with more aggression from the 6 but with 2 deep safeties over the top. If I had a chalkboard I could make this make more sense. Sorry about that.

5. I'm guessing we are going to see more wide open formations from the Ravens. The last time we faced them we saw mostly 2 TE's with 3 in the backfield and one Wide out. The Ravens got a great deal of mileage from that formation in Jackson's first 3 years as a starter including his MVP year. But last year defenses started to catch up with it as they always do.

6. Now Jackson is going to take over 95% of his snaps from the shot gun. If I were coaching the Pats this week, I'd have had my 2 NT's working all week on getting off on the snap as quick as possible. I want their first move it to make first contact with the C and it has to be HARD. I want that C under constant pressure. I want him thinking more about the guy on my nose than the snap. When that happens I will guarantee you at least one bad snap and a couple of shaky ones. I want my NT's to put their facemask or forehead of the helmet right into the
C's facemask, Want to see him wince on every snap.

7. Finally I'll preach the obvious. If we have 2 more TO's than they do we will win, regardless of all the stuff I wrote in 1-6. If we have one more we will LIKELY win. If we are even or negative we will most likely lose. Let's see how it plays out.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this game a bunch and wondering how Bill is going to play the Ravens RPO game.

A couple of points. First I think a KEY element to the success of the defense will be how well we take advantage of the RT situation. Ronny Stanley is going to be out. His replacement is going to be either Keith Mackari, whose primary role is as a back up C, but has started 10 games as a RT over the last 2 years. He is a short armed, under weight, low draft pick, who SHOULD be the focus of the defense.
Do you mean Patrick Meckari who has been playing Left Tackle for the first two games of 2022? Ronnie Stanley has been out for all of 2022 - Stanley not playing this week is nothing new.
The other possibility is Ja'wan James, who WAS a solid RT in the league, BUT hasn't taken an NFL snap since the middle of the 2019 season. Now a torn Achilles and a ACL later James is considered the likely starter. Another interesting note I read is that James during the preseason was playing primarily a back up LT as they slowly brought him up to playing shape. He's been inactive for the first 2 games.
I think James played in the first game of 2022 and had a torn Achilles in that game and is out for the year.
The bad news is that the Ravens got most of their DB's and WR's that have missed the first 2 games.
Starting CB Kyle Fuller is on season ending IR - he will not be back this week.
1. My thinking on this is that we want to see a 3-4 alignment which will be the best scheme to contain Jackson. And I want Barmore lining up on the outside shoulder of whomever the RT is and systematically abusing him play after play. The RT is usually on the weak side (split end) so you have the 3-4 DE lining up on the outside eye of the RT. When we are in a 4-3 alignment on passing downs, I'd have Judon on the RT to again reign havoc on that poor soul.

2. Standard protocol on Jackson is to try and force him to scramble to the left and NOT the right. His stats when he scrambles left suck, and when he scrambles right are great. It isn't rocket science. Of course easy to point out, but much harder to do on the field with someone of Jackson's skill set. Again, I'd have my best guys on the right to start with and scheming constant pressure coming from the Right either by alignment or personnel.
Agreed
3. In my opinion this is a 3 safety game, where we see 3 CB's and 3 S's on passing downs and 2 and 3 on run downs. If the Pats choose to have a mirror guy on Jackson, they have the perfect set of S's to do it. Duggar is the obvious choice, but might not play. Peppers is my personal choice. He is faster quicker and has already shown up in the run game. Like Duggar, he's sometimes suspect against the pass. With Peppers, Phillips and McCourty on the field we have 3 guys with CB speed, who can play deep, mirror Jackson and 2 who can easily move to the second level when necessary. Another secondary item is we normally play a lot of single high S. I'd show that to Jackson presnap a bunch, but then tease him into throwing into a 2 deep reality.
Sounds great.
4. We will likely be in some sort of zone coverage because you really don't want any of you defenders with the backs to the LOS when Jackson is back there. I would like to see some match up zones on the 2nd level with more of a 3-6-2 with more aggression from the 6 but with 2 deep safeties over the top. If I had a chalkboard I could make this make more sense. Sorry about that.
Maybe Jon Jones on Duvernay (if he able to play) and a zone other than that?
5. I'm guessing we are going to see more wide open formations from the Ravens. The last time we faced them we saw mostly 2 TE's with 3 in the backfield and one Wide out. The Ravens got a great deal of mileage from that formation in Jackson's first 3 years as a starter including his MVP year. But last year defenses started to catch up with it as they always do.

6. Now Jackson is going to take over 95% of his snaps from the shot gun. If I were coaching the Pats this week, I'd have had my 2 NT's working all week on getting off on the snap as quick as possible. I want their first move it to make first contact with the C and it has to be HARD. I want that C under constant pressure. I want him thinking more about the guy on my nose than the snap. When that happens I will guarantee you at least one bad snap and a couple of shaky ones. I want my NT's to put their facemask or forehead of the helmet right into the

7. Finally I'll preach the obvious. If we have 2 more TO's than they do we will win, regardless of all the stuff I wrote in 1-6. If we have one more we will LIKELY win. If we are even or negative we will most likely lose. Let's see how it plays out.
Nice writeup. Thanks.

I can't prove it but this was intentional on BB's part. I love it. So does Lamar.
No doubt in my mind it was intentional. Bill had that one queued up in his back pocket just waiting for someone to ask about Lamar. He knew someone would.

Almost every expert is picking the Crows.
Many of em predicting a blowout.
I must be missing something. I just don't see it. I believe its a close game. Baltimore could win but not in a blowout
the experts also picked PITT last week

Do you mean Patrick Meckari who has been playing Left Tackle for the first two games of 2022? Ronnie Stanley has been out for all of 2022 - Stanley not playing this week is nothing new.

I think James played in the first game of 2022 and had a torn Achilles in that game and is out for the year.

Starting CB Kyle Fuller is on season ending IR - he will not be back this week.

Agreed

Sounds great.

Maybe Jon Jones on Duvernay (if he able to play) and a zone other than that?

Nice writeup. Thanks.
I guess I was DEAD wrong about the Ravens OT situation. Its actually worse than I thought. Their LT will be PATRICK Mekari. He has started a several games their over the last 2 years, but again he is an interior OLman who has been forced to play some OT due to a multitude of OT injuries over the last few years. LT who came into the league as an UDFA and is undersized and short armed. He's been OK for a back up, BUT he isn't what you want as a LT.

I made even a worse mistake at RT - I read one account that said he was the likely starter at RT, but according to 3 depth charts I checked, (ourlads, ESPN, and CBS sports) the likely RT is NJJ refuge, Morgan Moses, who is a big slow guy who is can be beaten by speed.

And remember my discussion about why and how we have put pressure on the C. The Ravens will be starting THEIR first round pick, Tyler Linderbaum at C. He is highly touted and the top C in the draft, BUT he is still a rookie starting in just his 3rd game of his career. That only makes what I said even more imperative. The rest of the OL meaning the G's are filled with a solid guy and a really good one. Ben Powers is a 3 year starter at LG while Zietler has been a 5 year starter with the Bengals, but left for the Browns and was the highest paid OG in 2017. He lasted only 2 years with the Brownies before he was traded to the Giants in the OBJ deal. He was released by the Giants after 2 years and was signed by the Ravens and is in his 2nd year with them.

He made the all rookie team in 2012 but hasn't any all pros or even probowl teams mentions in his Wiki. He's always been well thought of and even though he's in his 11th season I doubt he'll make many mistakes. Powers on the other hand was a 4th rounder who has started since his 2nd season 2020. From what I can see he's OK, dependable, kind of a slightly better Karras kind of guy. He's the guy I want Barmore on with we go 4-3

I watched some of the Ravens Dolphins game. Not as much of a beat down as you would be lead to believe IMO. More of a slow bleed in the 2nd half. Lamar hit Isiah Likely who was wide open on 3rd down and he dropped it. Tyreek Hill scored the tieing TD on busted coverage.

I expect the Ravens to play a much tighter game against us.

Last edited:
I guess I was DEAD wrong about the Ravens OT situation. Its actually worse than I thought. Their LT will be PATRICK Mekari. He has started a several games their over the last 2 years, but again he is an interior OLman who has been forced to play some OT due to a multitude of OT injuries over the last few years. LT who came into the league as an UDFA and is undersized and short armed. He's been OK for a back up, BUT he isn't what you want as a LT.

I made even a worse mistake at RT - I read one account that said he was the likely starter at RT, but according to 3 depth charts I checked, (ourlads, ESPN, and CBS sports) the likely RT is NJJ refuge, Morgan Moses, who is a big slow guy who is can be beaten by speed.

And remember my discussion about why and how we have put pressure on the C. The Ravens will be starting THEIR first round pick, Tyler Linderbaum at C. He is highly touted and the top C in the draft, BUT he is still a rookie starting in just his 3rd game of his career. That only makes what I said even more imperative. The rest of the OL meaning the G's are filled with a solid guy and a really good one. Ben Powers is a 3 year starter at LG while Zietler has been a 5 year starter with the Bengals, but left for the Browns and was the highest paid OG in 2017. He lasted only 2 years with the Brownies before he was traded to the Giants in the OBJ deal. He was released by the Giants after 2 years and was signed by the Ravens and is in his 2nd year with them.

He made the all rookie team in 2012 but hasn't any all pros or even probowl teams mentions in his Wiki. He's always been well thought of and even though he's in his 11th season I doubt he'll make many mistakes. Powers on the other hand was a 4th rounder who has started since his 2nd season 2020. From what I can see he's OK, dependable, kind of a slightly better Karras kind of guy. He's the guy I want Barmore on with we go 4-3
Good information. Given all of their potential OL woes, I looked at their pressure stats compared to the Pats:

Sacks Allowed: BAL-2 / NEP-2
Sack YDS Lost: BAL-2 / NEP-20
QB Hits Allowed: BAL-4 / NEP-6

They seem about the same or better than the Pats. Maybe having Jackson at QB helps their OL out a lot.

Ken,

I would add:

I would have Barmore line up across from Linderbaum and blow him up on every snap.

I expect us to scheme in a good handful of stunts and twists. Baltimore is awful at handling those. We will of course favor the right side to force Lamar to his left.

And hope Lamar isn't evolving to be good enough of a pocket passer like some talking heads are claiming...

I want to see more Wilson & Uche at LB today - we have to contain Jackson.
I hope Mills can go. But this might be a day we see the young CB's more.
On Offense - it's all about getting the TE's involved in the pass game, and really leaning on Harris & Rham.
I know I'm not alone in being very disappointed in the lack of plays to Henry & Smith.
Oh, and stop with the Parker experiment. Throw to Bourne more.

Out TE's so far.

Henry - 4 targets , 2 receptions for 20 yards (v Miami)
Smith - 7 targets , 3 receptions for 33 yards (v Miami)

If ever there was a get right game for a QB, Balmer looks like one. OCs saying "pass" against Balmer more than women did at bars when I tried to buy them a drink. This was back when grain was first fermented. I was like "want to see my cart? It has The Wheel..."

Thank you thank you very much I'll be here all week. Anyway they are super easy to pass on so maybe Parker will emerge, maybe the prodigal Bourne will return, or maybe we'll just ground n pound :D

Always an adventure.

TDs right? I am trying to figure out whether the timeouts are really that important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft