PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 2 . NE@NO . PREGAME thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Let's start this one with Gronk.
Many words were used in last 10 days arguing about Gronk being or not being Gronk anymore. The film showed big reason for “Gronk not looking as Gronk“ was Eric Berry (and possibly refereeing allowing lots of contact beyond 5 yards..)

Here 2 articles from Reiss on the subject:
After quiet opener, Rob Gronkowski on his health: 'I feel like any other year'
Patriots' Gronkowski: I'd hold if playing DB

NO doesn't have a player like Berry in their secondary. Vaccaro is the only one with reasonable experience and will probably take most of the Gronk duties. Vaccaro & co limited Rudolph pretty well the other night . to only 3 receptions (but 1 TD).

Without Jules, Dola and MM Brady will need Gronk to step up here so hopefully he indeed is ready..

Many expect a high scoring spectacle and one guy that is not likely to play today already had some fun with it..

quote:

Playing the scout team role of Drew Brees in practice: “Loved it. Every week is a different offense that you get to run, and the Saints have a very unique and fun offense to run. A lot of vertical stuff. It makes for a fun practice.”

Here's the rest of Ress' Sunday read starting w High injury situation:
After initial optimism, awaiting more clarity on Dont'a Hightower's injury

Five Pats were already ruled out and with Patriots normally going with 7 OL the inactive list should be more or less set barring the (not unusual) surprise:

Hightower, Amendola, Valentine, Slater, Ebner, Croston, Waddle/Fleming.

Hollister making his first game should be expected with only 3 WRs.
The last spot might depend on Cannon's injury status though..

I'd come out super aggressive if I'm the Saints. Makes me nervous we only are suiting up 3 wide outs and one is Dorsett.

Makes me nervous we only are suiting up 3 wide outs and one is Dorsett.

WR isn't the only position that catches passes in the Pats offense, I know that's the case for some teams but not the Pats.

This is the only team that has had 2 RBs with 11+ receptions in a SB.

WR isn't the only position that catches passes in the Pats offense, I know that's the case for some teams but not the Pats.

Yeah Lewis, White and Burkhead are all capable just not sure if I'd want to get into a track meet. Can probably run all over this defense too.

I've had a StL in 2004 feeling about this game all week. I don't know how many people remember that game, but it was the week after getting shoved around in Pitt and losing Law (and someone else I'm forgetting). Undermanned, heading into a good passing team's dome, most fans were skeptical or at least unsure what to expect.

Instead, NE beat them soundly with the subs, including Troy at CB, all holding their own.

I expect the Patriots to remind everyone why there was talk of 19-0 just a few weeks ago.... and I'll be on the lookout to see if Steve Gostkowski licks his fingers.:cool:

Many words were used in last 10 days arguing about Gronk being or not being Gronk anymore. The film showed big reason for “Gronk not looking as Gronk“ was Eric Berry (and possibly refereeing allowing lots of contact beyond 5 yards..)

Here 2 articles from Reiss on the subject:
After quiet opener, Rob Gronkowski on his health: 'I feel like any other year'
Patriots' Gronkowski: I'd hold if playing DB

NO doesn't have a player like Berry in their secondary. Vaccaro is the only one with reasonable experience and will probably take most of the Gronk duties. Vaccaro & co limited Rudolph pretty well the other night . to only 3 receptions (but 1 TD).

Without Jules, Dola and MM Brady will need Gronk to step up here so hopefully he indeed is ready..

Gronk and the backs have to step up. The Pats Offense is going to do well today.

No Amendola hurts a lot. Cooks, Hogan and Gronk will have to show up big time.

Defense also needs to be much better. Will be hard without Hightower.

I'm really getting tired of the media questioning Gronk.

Gronk is the Shaq of the NFL. He is subject to a different set of rules than the rest of the league is. It's only a foul if his arm is nearly ripped off. Also he was covered by a PRO BOWL safety with HELP available over the top on almost every snap.

I expect him to be back to his old self today.

Last edited:

I actually like that they're good with only 3 pure WR's and didn't call anyone up or sign anyone. This makes me think the offense is trending away from being WR oriented which is long overdue because teams are becoming adept at clogging up the middle and disrupting crossers which have been our bread and butter. It's time for us to evolve.

I've had a StL in 2004 feeling about this game all week. I don't know how many people remember that game, but it was the week after getting shoved around in Pitt and losing Law (and someone else I'm forgetting). Undermanned, heading into a good passing team's dome, most fans were skeptical or at least unsure what to expect.

Instead, NE beat them soundly with the subs, including Troy at CB, all holding their own.

I expect the Patriots to remind everyone why there was talk of 19-0 just a few weeks ago.... and I'll be on the lookout to see if Steve Gostkowski licks his fingers.:cool:

Law and Asante Samuels were out.

Law and Asante Samuels were out.

IIRC, Samuel started the game and went out early in the 1st quarter. That was the injury that forced Brown on the field as the regular slot guy.

More than anything, I want to see passion and fight on both sides of the ball. All the comments from players (esp Brady) about attitude after game one have to be the most concerning thing as far as I'm concerned. I'm expecting a big win- by 2+ TDs.

I'm not analyzing anything this week. I've been under a great deal of stress recently, and I've set aside a few hours this weekend to relax and just watch my teams play. Alabama played last night and it was nice to watch some of their future NFL players step up.

Now today, I'm gonna just set out a few snacks, grab an adult beverage, and wait to see what Coach has come up with to deal with New Orleans. :)

Should be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey