PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE@NO . RE-WATCH thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, did anyone else notice that at one point the TV broadcast clearly showed the back of Sean Payton's play calling sheet? It was divided up into a bunch of sections and labeled at the top something along the lines of "Game 2 - Patriots."

Like practicing non-contact martial arts and then suddenly being in a bar brawl.
Ok, ST. First, here are the compositions (without benefit of all-22 might not be 100%)

• Kicking unit - game 2 (from left to right in kicking direction):
Chung-King-Langi-M.Flowers-Richards-3-Marsh-JJ-Bolden-Bademosi-Rowe

notes: McCourty came in for inj. Rowe. Langi replaced Roberts from game 1

• Kick return unit - game 2 (left to right against kick dir.):
Bademosi-M.Flowers-King -- Richards -- Bolden-Langi-J.Hollister
----------------------- ----------- Marsh (?) --------------------------------
------------------------------- Develin - Allen ------------------------------
------------------------------------ Lewis ------------------------------------

notes: there were quite a few changes to game 1 most notably no Burkhead (in case it is not him instead of Marsh there - can't tell from my tape - but since he went out early I wouldn't think so - Tony, can you check?). Furthermore Richards was at Hollister's position, Roberts where now Langi is.

• Punt unit - game 2 (left to right in punting direction):
JJ---King-M.Flowers-KVN--49--Develin-Marsh-Bolden---Bademosi
----------------------- Richards ----------------------------------------------
---------------------------------- 6 --------------------------------------------

• Punt return unit - game 2 (left to right against punting direction):
JJ---King-Langi(KVN)-Wise-M.Flowers(Guy)-Marsh---Bademosi
---------- Burkhead ---- Richards ------------- Bolden ---
------------------------------- Chung -------------------------------------

note: This unit saw most changes of course. Chung for Amendola. Burkhead in place of Chung. Langi originally replaced KVN but later KVN came for Langi, Guy came in for M.Flowers.

This are the general units (as far as I could see). There are some position changes and minor rotations from play to play.

It will be interesting what happens when Ebner and Slater return. Bademosi is a great gunner attacking and blocking so Im not sure if Slater will get this spot back easily. He will certainly have his place in KR unit id guess but it will be interesting to see how compositions change with two top men from last few years coming back..

Yes it was Marsh.

@Tony2046 - how about posting an All-22 clip of the end-of-first-half FG? The TV broadcast cut to coaches waving towels right in the middle of the player changeover so we didn't get to see a lot of the getting the squads off and on.

The all 22 doesn't show the whole play. It only shows Brady sliding and then the kick itself. I'm uploading a portion of the Broadcast view which shows a good portion of the transition. It'll take a few minutes to upload it.

By the way, did anyone else notice that at one point the TV broadcast clearly showed the back of Sean Payton's play calling sheet? It was divided up into a bunch of sections and labeled at the top something along the lines of "Game 2 - Patriots."

You'll see that in every other stadium except Gillette. I noticed that last year. Couldn't figure out why. :eek:

@QuantumMechanic

It's not a bad view. The "freeze" in the middle of the video is on the recording side.

Patriots' Big Plays vs Saints:

My Notes:
View attachment 18008

Great stuff!

Regarding play #4 at the 1:45 mark, I'm glad it worked but it's the fake end-around, pass to RB play that was the first play in the first Giants Super Bowl (broken up by pressure, harbinger of things to come) and the play that got intercepted in the 2010 Jets Divisional game.

It triggers me every time it's called!

Patriots' Big Plays vs Saints:

My Notes:
View attachment 18008

Thanks again for the clips and I really like those notes.

I think play 7 @ 3:42 is very interesting:

So it looks like the saints are in a Tampa 2 coverage. You can see it by how much deeper the MLB drops into their zone coverage.

Tampa 2 - Wikipedia

One of the main purposes of that MLB zone is to stop seam routes by TEs. Yet Gronk caught a seam route for a big game.

What happens on this play is that Gronk helps Cannon pass block for a second, before releasing into his route. By the time Gronk is actually in the seam, the MLB has dropped too far back to impact the play. There are two other LBs in shorter zone coverage, but they are concerned with the WR#2 and the TE#2 also running intermediate routes over the middle of the field. So just by having Gronk help block the Patriots created a 3 v 2 in the middle of the field. I am not sure if Patriots or Tom knew they were in Tampa 2 vs. some other zone pre snap, or if we just got lucky in the rock-paper-scissors. Either way, Tom read it perfectly post snap.

The Giants needed to call plays like this with their LT struggling. You don't have to go to max protect to give your lineman some help.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the clips and I really like those notes.

I think play 7 @ 3:42 is very interesting:

So it looks like the saints are in a Tampa 2 coverage. You can see it by how much deeper the MLB drops into their zone coverage.

Tampa 2 - Wikipedia

One of the main purposes of that MLB zone is to stop seam routes by TEs. Yet Gronk caught a seam route for a big game.

What happens on this play is that Gronk helps Solder pass block for a second, before releasing into his route. By the time Gronk is actually in the seam, the MLB has dropped too far back to impact the play. There are two other LBs in shorter zone coverage, but they are concerned with the WR#2 and the TE#2 also running intermediate routes over the middle of the field. So just by having Gronk help block the Patriots created a 3 v 2 in the middle of the field. I am not sure if Patriots or Tom knew they were in Tampa 2 vs. some other zone pre snap, or if we just got lucky in the rock-paper-scissors. Either way, Tom read it perfectly post snap.

It is also interesting because Gronk is giving help to Solder's side. I saw some people mention that Solder was struggling at points in the game (I did not notice it myself either way. I wonder if we could find some clips where he struggles). This is a perfect play call to help him out without losing any threats in the passing game.

The Giants needed to call plays like this with their LT struggling. You don't have to go to max protect to give your lineman some help.

I think you meant Cannon? Play 7 Gronk is lined up on the right with Cannon and does help pass block etc.....

I think you meant Cannon? Play 7 Gronk is lined up on the right with Cannon and does help pass block etc.....

Yep that is my bad! Will edit it. Nice catch.

Yep that is my bad! Will edit it. Nice catch.

It's still a nice post though. And I think I remember Solder getting help on his side as well. I'll look for it later.

Ok, ST. First, here are the compositions (without benefit of all-22 might not be 100%)

• Kicking unit - game 2 (from left to right in kicking direction):
Chung-King-Langi-M.Flowers-Richards-3-Marsh-JJ-Bolden-Bademosi-Rowe

notes: McCourty came in for inj. Rowe. Langi replaced Roberts from game 1

• Kick return unit - game 2 (left to right against kick dir.):
Bademosi-M.Flowers-King -- Richards -- Bolden-Langi-J.Hollister
----------------------- ----------- Marsh (?) --------------------------------
------------------------------- Develin - Allen ------------------------------
------------------------------------ Lewis ------------------------------------

notes: there were quite a few changes to game 1 most notably no Burkhead (in case it is not him instead of Marsh there - can't tell from my tape - but since he went out early I wouldn't think so - Tony, can you check?). Furthermore Richards was at Hollister's position, Roberts where now Langi is.

• Punt unit - game 2 (left to right in punting direction):
JJ---King-M.Flowers-KVN--49--Develin-Marsh-Bolden---Bademosi
----------------------- Richards ----------------------------------------------
---------------------------------- 6 --------------------------------------------

• Punt return unit - game 2 (left to right against punting direction):
JJ---King-Langi(KVN)-Wise-M.Flowers(Guy)-Marsh---Bademosi
---------- Burkhead ---- Richards ------------- Bolden ---
------------------------------- Chung -------------------------------------

note: This unit saw most changes of course. Chung for Amendola. Burkhead in place of Chung. Langi originally replaced KVN but later KVN came for Langi, Guy came in for M.Flowers.

This are the general units (as far as I could see). There are some position changes and minor rotations from play to play.

It will be interesting what happens when Ebner and Slater return. Bademosi is a great gunner attacking and blocking so Im not sure if Slater will get this spot back easily. He will certainly have his place in KR unit id guess but it will be interesting to see how compositions change with two top men from last few years coming back..

And thats why Bolden makes the team every year. Core special teamer and a pretty good one too.

There were some ideas and agreement we should have a re-watch thread to complement post-game reactions, impressions etc. So let's start one and see how it works..

Until we get some of the board's re-watch material (here's looking at you Tony & co) let's start with some film reviews from around:

Here's a solid review from Kyed concentrating on offensive production after Gronk went out (btw also Burkhead) possibly bringing some reassurance to worrying fans that Pats have many ways to move the ball even without Gronk . while Roberts, Wise, A.Butler, Marsh and Guy are reason for some optimism on D as well..

Patriots Film Review: How Tom Brady Kept Offense Producing After Injuries
__

And here some re-watch notes from Patspropaganda:
Notes on the Patriots-Saints Re-Watch - PatsPropaganda

..illustration from Dussault article showing how much life is easier w Gronk though..

View attachment 18003
OK now I've got Déjà vu all over again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back