PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE@NO . RE-WATCH thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good suggestion.

Warning: Watching these four plays might cause a bit of over optimism-itus.

Here are the Plays:
View attachment 18006

This is exactly how I assumed that he'd be used in terms of attempting to take advantage of his speed on plays like bubble screens and jet sweeps. The out was nice because he took advantage of the huge cushion given to him. Hopefully, we see that in the future when another team shows that much room.

The out and up/longer downfield pass was not only surprising, but was actually a great sign in his development, thus far. I think many of us had assumed a couple of pre-planned plays that would be practiced throughout the week, but his speed provided more big play opportunity than I had expected. Very happy with what he showed on Sunday.

Those are the plays where I dont understand what people expect from Chung.

He is tight in coverage but a player who is clearly faster gets a step on him and catches -- like you already mentioned -- a perfect pass from Brees in full stride. The entire sequence works out that well how many times ? 5/10 ?
5/10 is coincidentally his target/catch line for the game. I believe that included 1 TD and 1 PBU.

This was a good suggestion Viper. I think it can lead to some good discussions.

I'm just going to post the video but without the usual notes.

I will say that play #1 is just a great pass by Brees. Sometimes you can't beat a great pass.

Lastly I think Chung had a decent night but he did give up some plays.

Thanks for these clips! Love the all 22s.

I think I noticed Butler blowing a coverage on play #5, which starts at 2:00. It looks like the Patriots are playing Cover 3 zone on this. Butler has responsibility for the deep third on the bottom vid. He has to maintain outside leverage on a deep receiver, since he has help from the FS over the middle. Butler bit way too hard on the post route, which allowed the receiver to get to outside of him.

What makes this worse is that the Saints were in max protect pass blocking verse only 4 rushers. The Saints only have 3 receivers, and one is in the flat. So the Saints have two deep threats vs. a Cover 3. Yet the receiver gets wide open.

On Play 3 @ 0:56

I just realized that the saints ran a variation on Spider 2 Y banana on this one. Someone should tell Gruden, you know he loves his bananas.

And don't even get Gruden started on Spider 3 Y banana

Sorry for the meme detour.

That play does always seem to work however. Hard for the LBs to quickly see that the FB is running a route rather than lead blocking.

This modified version the saints ran is even better. Instead of running a clear out crossing route, Wr #19 runs directly at Chung (who is in the OLB spot). It looks just like the WR is going to throw a block. Yet #19 just runs a curl route. There are just so many run keys on this play, such a good play action by the Saints.

Last edited:
On Play 3 @ 0:56

I just realized that the saints ran a variation on Spider 2 Y banana on this one. Someone should tell Gruden, you know he loves his banana's.

And don't even get Gruden started on Spider 3 Y banana

Sorry for the meme detour.

That play does always seem to work however. Hard for the LBs to quickly see that the FB is running a route rather than lead blocking.

This modified version the saints ran is even better. Instead of running a clear out crossing route, Wr #19 runs directly at Chung (who is in the OLB spot). It looks just like the WR is going to throw a block. Yet #19 just runs a curl route. There are just so many run keys on this play, such a good play action by the Saints.

Winner feedback. Thanks.

Thanks for these clips! Love the all 22s.

I think I noticed Butler blowing a coverage on play #5, which starts at 2:00. It looks like the Patriots are playing Cover 3 zone on this. Butler has responsibility for the deep third on the bottom vid. He has to maintain outside leverage on a deep receiver, since he has help from the FS over the middle. Butler bit way too hard on the post route, which allowed the receiver to get to outside of him.

What makes this worse is that the Saints were in max protect pass blocking verse only 4 rushers. The Saints only have 3 receivers, and one is in the flat. So the Saints have two deep threats vs. a Cover 3. Yet the receiver gets wide open.

What disturbs me more in this play is Butler's attitude. Last year he would've nailed the guy fast or/and go for the ball. I really hope this isn't a sign of JC scenario from last year..

What disturbs me more in this play is Butler's attitude. Last year he would've nailed the guy fast or/and go for the ball. I really hope this isn't a sign of JC scenario from last year..

Glad I'm not the only one who has picked up on this. He looks like he's really struggling so far this year, but then again Gilmore hasn't exactly been a lockdown corner yet.

Ok, ST. First, here are the compositions (without benefit of all-22 might not be 100%)

• Kicking unit - game 2 (from left to right in kicking direction):
Chung-King-Langi-M.Flowers-Richards-3-Marsh-JJ-Bolden-Bademosi-Rowe

notes: McCourty came in for inj. Rowe. Langi replaced Roberts from game 1

• Kick return unit - game 2 (left to right against kick dir.):
Bademosi-M.Flowers-King -- Richards -- Bolden-Langi-J.Hollister
----------------------- ----------- Marsh (?) --------------------------------
------------------------------- Develin - Allen ------------------------------
------------------------------------ Lewis ------------------------------------

notes: there were quite a few changes to game 1 most notably no Burkhead (in case it is not him instead of Marsh there - can't tell from my tape - but since he went out early I wouldn't think so - Tony, can you check?). Furthermore Richards was at Hollister's position, Roberts where now Langi is.

• Punt unit - game 2 (left to right in punting direction):
JJ---King-M.Flowers-KVN--49--Develin-Marsh-Bolden---Bademosi
----------------------- Richards ----------------------------------------------
---------------------------------- 6 --------------------------------------------

• Punt return unit - game 2 (left to right against punting direction):
JJ---King-Langi(KVN)-Wise-M.Flowers(Guy)-Marsh---Bademosi
---------- Burkhead ---- Richards ------------- Bolden ---
------------------------------- Chung -------------------------------------

note: This unit saw most changes of course. Chung for Amendola. Burkhead in place of Chung. Langi originally replaced KVN but later KVN came for Langi, Guy came in for M.Flowers.

This are the general units (as far as I could see). There are some position changes and minor rotations from play to play.

It will be interesting what happens when Ebner and Slater return. Bademosi is a great gunner attacking and blocking so Im not sure if Slater will get this spot back easily. He will certainly have his place in KR unit id guess but it will be interesting to see how compositions change with two top men from last few years coming back..

Last edited:
ST game 2 notes and comments

general: Despite some penalties, missed tackles and two bad plays in coverage this unit looks solid over two games after poor showings in preseason. All new additions are playing good.

side note: interesting that Burkhead did return in the game but only on ST - punt return unit..
____

Patriots were very conservative in returning punts (understandably so) and Saints were very conservative kicking off so there were no return plays on NE side (3 fair catches by Chung and 4 touchbacks by Lewis)

On the other hand Pats were pretty aggressive in kicking game asking NO to return kicks most of the time and Kamara had a good night breaking some tackles on pretty solid Pat coverage.

Notable plays included 3 stops by M. Flowers, Rowe and Marsh both had one big solo stop and Langi and Richards combined for another one. Wise was a menace rushing through the middle on punt returns.

On the negative side there were some missed tackles and angles and flag on Langi (face mask).

The ugliest scene of the night was 12 man on the field on NE punt because Allen was too lazy to get off the field on time. I wonder how this goes w BB this week.. Penalty was not accepted due to very poor punt of Allen who seems quite up and down.

It looks like Richards has a “green dot“ on STs at the moment. He's playing well.
____

It was interesting to see the onside kick unit as well:

Develin-KVN-Richards-Bolden were blocking in front of Hogan. Dev and Richards missed blocks but Hogan managed to catch the ball.

and here the forementioned Wise's run game

plus WR blocking

We might have to give Rich the benefit of the doubt on this one but I do agree that a lot of the "he was open" stuff neglects to watch the full play.

It's tough to tell. The LB is watching Brady's eyes on this throw. If Brady had decided to go to Hogan the LB would have went there as well.

On a side note: Hogan many have better served the play getting closer to the sideline which might have pulled that LB away from the original play.

Prior to the throw the DE had already beaten Solder, who was on the ground. So any pass to Hogan is definitely more at risk of being batted down by that advancing DE. And the ball needed to come out right away - no time to survey the field and make a decision.

Slightly OT . from another podcast w Lombardi:
The Hardline Seg. 2 - Michael Lombardi - insidestl.com

(in the context of McAdoo's giant “Cheesecake Factory“ play calling sheet)

“BB was influenced tremendously by Joe Gibbs. Joe Gibbs ran 5 or 6 different plays but he did it out of so many different formations that when the QB hit his fifth step or third or seventh . the play looked the same for him but it looked way different for the defence. That's where you really become successful..“

Slightly OT . from another podcast w Lombardi:
The Hardline Seg. 2 - Michael Lombardi - insidestl.com

(in the context of McAdoo's giant “Cheesecake Factory“ play calling sheet)

“BB was influenced tremendously by Joe Gibbs. Joe Gibbs ran 5 or 6 different plays but he did it out of so many different formations that when the QB hit his fifth step or third or seventh . the play looked the same for him but it looked way different for the defence. That's where you really become successful..“

The ability to run plays out of different offensive formations is due to the Erhardt-Perkins (EP) offensive system. That system also helps them made dynamic audibles at the line and go no huddle by communicating more effectively. One of my favorite Patriots articles is about that system.

Speak My Language

You might notice my Avatar pic in the article. See how the same route combinations are done with different positions running each route?

The other "JC scenario" interpretation is the Butler was "freelancing". He wanted to personally remain tightly covered to the receiver to make himself look better, rather than letting the natural scheme of the share the responsibility.

However, I also think we could be a bit more charitable in our interpretation of Butler here also. The mistake might have just been execution rather then mental. He might have been trying to keep outside leverage, yet wanted to stay relatively close when the WR cut inside.

Furthermore, him containing rather than going for a big hit might have been the smart play in BB's eyes. Chung was closer to the WR at that point, so Butler just had to make sure the WR did not get away. It did not seem like he could safely make a play on the ball, when it was thrown. He was burned too hard on the double move.

The ability to run plays out of different offensive formations is due to the Erhardt-Perkins (EP) offensive system. That system also helps them made dynamic audibles at the line and go no huddle by communicating more effectively. One of my favorite Patriots articles is about that system.

Speak My Language

You might notice my Avatar pic in the article. See how the same route combinations are done with different positions running each route?

Wow. That's a fantastic article. Probably deserves its own thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back