PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 3 . HOU@NE . PREGAME thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Rowe will be inactive vs. bad offenses in order to get our 3rd round pick for 2018. If he plays 50% snaps or less this season we send the Eagles a 4th round pick back instead.

No.. Rowe is out because he could likely use they week off to get over his injury which is helped by Texans having only 3 WRs active.

With that O line, they are going to have to establish the run.

I wonder if Rowe will be inactive vs. bad offenses in order to get our 3rd round pick for 2018. If he plays 50% snaps or less this season we send the Eagles a 4th round pick back instead.
I don't know, I wouldn't want to roll the dice that way. I wouldn't want to risk losing home field over the difference between a 3rd and 4th round draft pick.

Will David Harris do anything this week?

I don't know, I wouldn't want to roll the dice that way. I wouldn't want to risk losing home field over the difference between a 3rd and 4th round draft pick.

Was just a theory. Also could play J. Jones if games turned into blowouts as well. This is BB were talking about haha.

So who gets the start at RT, Fleming or Waddle?

Going to lock this thread now as the Official Game Day thread is now up...thanks again to LD for posting

Was just a theory. Also could play J. Jones if games turned into blowouts as well. This is BB were talking about haha.
I could definitely see the strategy of limiting his reps in blowouts. Would rather have Rowe available in games he is physically able to play though, just in case. An in-game injury to one of the other three CB and suddenly you're relying on Johnson Bademosi as your nickel corner.

How the Houston press is viewing this game:

John McClain previews Texans vs. Patriots

A fairly basic slideshow:
- For Houston: Watson can't turn the ball over, pressure Brady, contain on special teams.
- Patriots need to protect Brady, NE running backs need to beat man coverage, Pats D needs to win the line of scrimmage and maintain discipline against Watson.
- Houston D needs to stay in gaps and not overrun plays vs Patriot RBs.
- Even though Houston has a 31-game streak of not allowing a 300-yard passing game, Pats get the edge in passing game vs Texans defense. Houston has nobody that can cover Gronk in man coverage, and Hogan is a problem for their D.
- Pats have given up 133 yards per game rushing, so BoB will try to run. problem is the Houston OL is not good. Advantage to the Patriots.
- Due to their problems on the OL, look for Houston to mix in bootlegs and rollouts for Watson with quick 3-step drops.
- McClain's prediction: Patriots 27, Texans 13

More from the Houston Chronicle.

Scroll down past the slide show and there is a Q&A from our good friend Stephanie Stradley.

Stephanie Stradley’s Texans-Patriots Q&A with Evan Lazar

As for a Texans preview, I think it is the same story since 2011. The Texans' defense needs to be dominant, the offense and special teams need to be not fully horrible, perhaps semi-good.

It will be hard to be too creative on offense for the Texans given the limitations of the offensive line taking some plays off the table. That said, I'd expect to see some quirky Texans plays to try to surprise the Patriots, who know the Texans' offense better than they do. ...

If the defense has a good day, the Texans have a chance. If they don't, they won't. If the offense or special teams put them consistently in bad positions or if the game is called in a way that heavily favors offense (safety rule trends tend to favor offense), then it could be another blowout game. ...

Much was said about Watson focusing on throwing the ball to DeAndre Hopkins last week, but when you have no healthy tight ends, and no NFL caliber wide receivers other than Hopkins, what would you do? The Patriots will try to take that away and make life difficult for Hopkins, so good luck to the other skill positions doing their jobs. ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back