Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Kickoff: 7:30 PM EST

likely not playing

PUP/NFI: Hightower, Branch, Jelks

absent from walkthrough: Slater, McClellin, Rowe, Lengel

not participated: Gillislee, Burkhead, Mitchell, Amendola, Lucien, Solder, Garcia, O'Shaughnessy, C.Hollister, D.Jones

reported healthy absentees: Brady, Gronk, Cooks, Edelman

note: some of the above players might still play of course

questionable:
Harmon, Valentine

projected lineups acc to last practice reports

skill1: 19Mitchell - 11Edelman - 33Lewis - 83Allen - 15Hogan // 28White, 46Develin
skill2: 13Lucien - 80Amendola - 38Bolden - 48J.Hollister - 84Carr // 27 Foster
others: WR: 17Washington, 16Maye; RB: 39Daniels; TE: 85Cotton; FB: 47G.Gronk

OL1: 68Waddle - 62Thuney - 60Andrews - 69Mason - 61Cannon // Fleming
OL2: 71Fleming - 65Douglas - 75Karras - 70Croston - 67McDermott
others: 59Ferentz(C), 74King(G), 72Rich(T)

____

DL1: 91Wise - 93Guy - 90Brown - 98Flowers // A.Butler, Rivers, Langi in rotation
DL2: 92Grissom/95Rivers - 70Butler - 74Hamilton/96Kilgo - 94Ealy/48Langi //
?99Valentine
others: 72Augusta (DT), 64Kidder (DE)

LB1: (95Rivers) - 45Harris - 53Van Noy // 52Roberts, 48Langi in rotation
others: 55Freeny, 44Bates, 47Ellis

DB1: 21Butler - 32McCourty - 23Chung - 24Gilmore // 30Harmon, 31J Jones
DB2: 41Cy Jones - 37Richards - 43Ebner - 22Coleman
oth: CB: 42Moore, 29Killings, 27Thomas, 33Likely; S: 26Thompson, 35Travis, 36King

ST

punt coverage (from week 1 TC)
1: Rowe-Bolden-O’Shaughnessy-Slater-Ebner-Richards-JJ-Grissom-King-Coleman
2: Gilmore-Burkhead-Langi-Thompson-KVN-Freeny-Foster-Rivers-Gillislee-Cy Jones

kickoff coverage (week 2 TC)
1: Rowe-Burkhead-Freeny-McClellin-Ebner-Ghost-Richards-JJ-Grissom-King-Coleman
2: Thomas-Travis-Langi-Thompson-KVN-Ghost-Bates-Moore-Rivers-Roberts-Killings

notes
possible mix-up of players w same # of jerseys @ST
33 Lewis/Likely - both KR
48 J.Hollister/Langi
27 Foster/Thomas

links:
CarMax Keys: 10 things to watch for Patriots vs. Jaguars
New England Patriots vs. Jacksonville Jaguars: Familiar faces and lesser-known players
Tom Brady, Rob Gronkowski, Brandin Cooks slated to sit out preseason opener
Patriots-Jaguars preview: "Blake Bortles is single-handedly holding this Jaguars team back"
Four Patriots with momentum; four who are still in search of it

Last edited:
Edelman and Gronk shouldn't play in the preseason at all. Too injury prone.

I always look forward to the first one of these posts every season. Pop a bottle of champagne for yourself, Froob. No doubt there is a "FOOTBALL PLAYERZ PLYA FOOTBALLL" post coming down the pike.

Add Amendola to that list too we already know what they can do.

Has Rookie WR Austin Carr been quiet since they put the pads on?? I remember Practice #1 in shorts and shells his Canton speech was already prepared.:D Guess he has chance to rewrite that pending speech tonight.:D

Thank you!

Matt Chatham (@chatham58) has asked for ideas:

Hit me up w/ specific things ya want me to focus on in-game, or Qs that may arise within the game that ya want me to take a deeper look at.
Perhaps the patsfans can come up with a few suggestions. Apart from the obvious (lose the furniture sales assistants in the yellow polo shirts, persuade Fauria and Zolak not to go on like frat boys after too many rounds of beer pong) I'd like to see an analyst who does more to look

(1) at individual lineman match-ups

and

(2) what the broader coverage was that the QB saw (not just they guy he threw it to and who was in the area, but the broader matchups that led him to make the decision he did)

In general, the more I hear from Chatham and the less from the rest, the happier I'll be.

I always look forward to the first one of these posts every season. Pop a bottle of champagne for yourself, Froob. No doubt there is a "FOOTBALL PLAYERZ PLYA FOOTBALLL" post coming down the pike.
Lol that and someone trying to convince us they aren't actually injury prone.

Thanks for this LD.

I'm excited to just see guys who are new. Makes it a lot more interesting.

Thank you!

Matt Chatham (@chatham58) has asked for ideas:

Hit me up w/ specific things ya want me to focus on in-game, or Qs that may arise within the game that ya want me to take a deeper look at.
Perhaps the patsfans can come up with a few suggestions. Apart from the obvious (lose the furniture sales assistants in the yellow polo shirts, persuade Fauria and Zolak not to go on like frat boys after too many rounds of beer pong) I'd like to see an analyst who does more to look

(1) at individual lineman match-ups

and

(2) what the broader coverage was that the QB saw (not just they guy he threw it to and who was in the area, but the broader matchups that led him to make the decision he did)

In general, the more I hear from Chatham and the less from the rest, the happier I'll be.
mention 19-0 over and over

Among 23 likely or potential non-starters 16 are on offense and 7 on D. That means that 3rd string guys on offense will get plenty of work. I was looking forward to see a bit of B-Rex so if he can't make it will be slight disappointment. On brighter side we might see plenty of DJ Foster and possibly more of Lewis than we normally would.

The position I looked forward the most watching is DBs behind Gilmore and Butler. Since its the deepest position with “only“ Rowe, possibly Harmon and unfortunately David Jones missing . guys like Travis, Thomas and Thompson might see less field than their offensive classmates. I hope they still get decent time to get a taste of them in Pats uni.

One of the guys I really wanted to see early is O'Shaughnessy so its a pity seeing him sidelined. There should be plenty of J Hollister though.

The closest to real action are usually the lines. Unfortunately looks like we won't see Garcia, so most attention will go to Waddle/Fleming “competition“ and watching how McDermott handles his first spotlight. On IOL guys on my watch list are Karras, Douglas, Croston and King.

On DL can't wait to enjoy some Wise Guy Butler. Intrigued how it goes w Ealy and Rivers.

LB seems wide open w most experimenting going on so looking forward to see the combinations, KVN in coverage, Rivers and Langi off line..

As some mentioned before, composition of ST units will be one of the few more telling things to watch.

Far from real NFL action . still plenty of things to watch..

The first string D will be out there pretty much in tact. Very curious to see that. On offense it is all about the OL with only Solder out.

you have to play at least a few quarters. you can't head into the KC game without any snaps. brady attributed his 2008 acl tear to him not playing in the preseason and having pocket awareness that comes with game action.

you have to play at least a few quarters. you can't head into the KC game without any snaps. brady attributed his 2008 acl tear to him not playing in the preseason and having pocket awareness that comes with game action.
Brady yeah but I'm okay chancing those guys a little rusty.

Good intro about 5 guys to watch . what they were doing so far in practice
(Wise, Moore, Butler, Langi, Rivers)
Perry: Defensive job-hunters get their chance

some important ST info on early UDFA standouts Moore & Langi there :

Moore's getting his chances there as a gunner on the punt team and a vice on the punt-return team. With Matthew Slater missing practice time, there's been openings on those units, and Moore has been one of the first to have a crack at filling them.

Langi has also been used on the top kickoff unit, which is a positive sign for how he's seen by the coaching staff. He'll likely need to have a legitimate role on "teams" in order to land a spot on the 53-man roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes