PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We are on to Dallas

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ 1:39 Reiss says he was told Sanu is gonna try to practice today to see how the ankle responds.

if it responds favorably i'd put him at probably a game-time decision.

Last edited:
Conjecture would be guessing the reasons for the release. It isn't conjecture at all to say something else was going on with Gordon that bothered the team. That's the only reasonable conclusion that can be reached.

Eh, I half agree. Everything is conjecture because we're not in the room. What you're saying might make more sense than the other alternatives, but in the words of Spock, "We have no evidence. Just a theory, which happens to fit the facts."

Jees, Hyped old buddy. I never thought you'd go over to the dark side of this discussion. Calm down, bud. The Pats have succeeded using young players on offense. They went to the AFCCG with TWO rookies on the OL in 2015 and won a superbowl in 16 by adding another rookie.

Secondly, may I remind you that we are talking about WR's here. The most replaceable position in the league. There was a REASON Harry was drafted in the first round. He is one of the most talented WR's in this year's class, of which several have already excelled. Myers has caught virtually EVERY ball that's been thrown within reach. Will they make mistakes? Of course they will, but not on EVERY play, or even some plays. Sure they'll f*ck up 3 or 4 plays, but they WON'T the other 30 odd plays they'll be in there for.

Thirdly, have you forgotten that between White and Burkhead you have 2 guys who are ACCOMPLISHED receivers, and Watson and Lacosse are going to surprise you this week. If Brady has time, he'll have ENOUGH receivers to throw to.

So put down the gun, pardner. and answer me the one question we SHOULD be discussing. If Bill wants to take away ONE thing from the Cowboy offense, what should it be????????

My responses on a point-by-point basis:

1.) Skill players have a higher learning curve than guys in the trenches.

2.) That's what I am saying.....we should expect the rookies to screw up here or there. Basically, we can't count on them to be our saviors.

3.) I mentioned White and Burkhead as parts of our offense that work. I never bad mouthed Watson....and think he made a great play last week...also I expect LaCosse to contribute because we have kept him on the roster all year for a reason.

4.) Defending Dallas.....I think I continue to take away EE....and let our secondary handle Prescott and the passing game. I'd rather Prescott throwing it 40 times vs. the Cowboys churning out clock with EE and that powerful OL.

And...last, but not least...I haven't gone over to the dark side....I was also concerned with the offense last year as well before we morphed into a power rushing offense. I believe that we will find something that works (IMO, it should be a no huddle spread formation to get White/Harry/Meyers on a slow safety or a LB...and just run draws out of the shotgun...we still can pick up 5-6 yards on draws to burn clock here and there). I am just a bit of a Debbie Downer...it's in my nature as a Boston sports fan waiting for the other shoe to drop....I know...I know...we're in the golden years.....but...(shrugs)

Jees, Hyped old buddy. I never thought you'd go over to the dark side of this discussion. Calm down, bud. The Pats have succeeded using young players on offense. They went to the AFCCG with TWO rookies on the OL in 2015 and won a superbowl in 16 by adding another rookie.

Secondly, may I remind you that we are talking about RB's here. The most replaceable position in the league. There was a REASON Harry was drafted in the first round. He is one of the most talented WR's in this year's class, of which several have already excelled. Myers has caught virtually EVERY ball that's been thrown within reach. Will they make mistakes? Of course they will, but not on EVERY play, or even some plays. Sure they'll f*ck up 3 or 4 plays, but they WON'T the other 30 odd plays they'll be in there for.

Thirdly, have you forgotten that between White and Burkhead you have 2 guys who are ACCOMPLISHED receivers, and Watson and Lacosse are going to surprise you this week. If Brady has time, he'll have ENOUGH receivers to throw to.

So put down the gun, pardner. and answer me the one question we SHOULD be discussing. If Bill wants to take away ONE thing from the Cowboy offense, what should it be????????
Fixed it for you ;)

My responses on a point-by-point basis:

1.) Skill players have a higher learning curve than guys in the trenches.
That might have been true in the day when defenses played stable fronts game in and game out. But now in the day of the amoeba fronts, complex delayed blitzes, and "roaming fronts", the skill level of the offensive front has had to grow to the point where it matches the sight reads that receivers often have to make.

You know, sometimes I wonder if sight reads for young receivers are almost counter productive because the read of the QB and the read of the receiver will ALWAYS misfire a certain percentage of the time even with Jules and Brady. I wonder if some offensive coach will "innovate" at some point and run just planned routes which would eliminate read errors and win on execution more than leverage.

Unitias to Berry - BOTH went to the HOF running patterns that everyone knew were coming, but simply out executed them.

I would think that giving rookies precise routes that they'd run regardless of the defense would increase their execution, make it more likely they will be where the QB expects them to be, and increase the likelihood that they could be more productive in their rookie year. Let them gradually evolve into receivers that can read the complex defenses that are more prevalent these days.

Its the old trade off that has always been there for football coaches. Execution vs potential schematic advantages. It looks so cool on the blackboard, but doesn't always look as good on the field

Remember when Brady said he had all the answers to the test? Think he'll get an A Sunday? I mean, he should, right - he's got all the answers...

Eh, I half agree. Everything is conjecture because we're not in the room. What you're saying might make more sense than the other alternatives, but in the words of Spock, "We have no evidence. Just a theory, which happens to fit the facts."

We're probably stumbling on semantics around the threshold of "conjecture". If you set it high enough then gravity and germ theory are conjecture. But doing so is counterproductive and goes against the spirit of the term.

In this case, I don't consider it conjecture because alternative hypotheses, like TB's idea that it just didn't dawn on Bill that Edelman or Sanu might get hurt, rely on Bill being a blithering moron, which we know isn't the case. Or they rely on absurdities - maybe Linda starting calling out Josh's name on bed! - that we have no reason to believe. That's conjecture. An explanation that accommodates all the facts, up to and including tangential things about Bill and Josh, is too robust for that term. IMO, anyway.

Hopefully that ends both the philosophical and Josh Gordon discussions. :)

Last edited:
Mike Reiss is probably the best sports reporter I've witnessed in Boston, but TV spots are not his strong suit.

@ 1:39 Reiss says he was told Sanu is gonna try to practice today to see how the ankle responds.

if it responds favorably i'd put him at probably a game-time decision.

That just shows what a complete mess this offense is right now.

All hopes are riding on Sanu being healthy enough to play.

Looking forward to Sanu returning punts again this Sunday...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes