PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Very very late thread about CBS broadcast of Super Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most entertaining tandem to ever do an NFL game- I dont care if you're talking local or national- I've heard em all- it's cosell and dandy don, handsdown. Gifford was the perfect straight man to those two.
That was a great team (Cosell, Meredith, Gifford). When Howard got way too full of himself, Dandy Don would say just the right thing to bring him down a peg or two. And yes, Gifford was the perfect straight man to those two.
I guess I'm one of the few who like Hollingsworth. Yes, he was annoying as hell when he babbled in the 4th quarter about "looking Tom in the eye...blah, blah, blah", but he generally is pretty good.
I might be showing my age a bit, but I used to love hearing Pat Summerall and Tom Brookshier, and then Summerall and Madden.

I cut the cable years ago. I listen to the games on radio. It's really enjoyable: Socci tells you what's going on, and Zo does his frantic stream-of-consciousness thing. (It's fun listening to him strain not to go F-bomb over the officiating.) Listening to the Pats takes me back to listening to Bob Wilson do the Bruins games on radio back in the 70's: one of my fondest sports memories. I have Game Pass to watch the games after the fact, but I hardly ever do.
Bob Wilson was the BEST I've ever heard calling a hockey game over radio.

We need to get vermiel to call pats games.... Its awesome baby!!

That Socci and (especially) Zolak are anything remotely resembling "enjoyable".
I see. So, your argument is that my impression that I am enjoying myself is a mistaken one because if I were you I would not be enjoying myself. I will not in turn disagree with this nonsense, since I am quite content to be myself, given the alternative in the terms of your argument.

Not to Nic Pic but come to think of it, as I watched SB 51 like 51 times already only from Strip Sack Fumble by H'T on which began Epic Comeback, I did have a different view on their calls.

1) Play where M. Mitchell caught a pass fell down near 1st down marker untouched. Aikman said he stretched out and slammed ball down and MM must have thought he was still in college. I thought MM stretched out because he didn't know if he got ball passed 1st Down and reached over it to make sure he got it.

2) PI on Bennett in End Zone that could have ended it in OT, Buck said it was under thrown by Brady but I thought that Brady threw it purposely as a Back Shoulder to him being that defender's back was to TB.

That was just my thinking.

3) Was when Edelman made that Ridiculous Catch and he got his hands under it like one inch off ground. Buck and Aikman got it right saying it was a catch but when they asked retired head of officials in booth he said it was a catch BUT it hit ground but they will get give it to him a catch anyway....WRONG!
It was clearly a catch.

Not to Nic Pic but come to think of it, as I watched SB 51 like 51 times already only from Strip Sack Fumble by H'T on which began Epic Comeback, I did have a different view on their calls.

1) Play where M. Mitchell caught a pass fell down near 1st down marker untouched. Aikman said he stretched out and slammed ball down and MM must have thought he was still in college. I thought MM stretched out because he didn't know if he got ball passed 1st Down and reached over it to make sure he got it.

2) PI on Bennett in End Zone that could have ended it in OT, Buck said it was under thrown by Brady but I thought that Brady threw it purposely as a Back Shoulder to him being that defender's back was to TB.

3) Was when Edelman made that Ridiculous Catch and he got his hands under it like one inch off ground. Buck and Aikman got it right saying it was a catch but when they asked retired head of officials in booth he said it was a catch BUT it hit ground but they will get give it to him a catch anyway....WRONG!
It was clearly a catch.

I think one end of the ball did contact the ground (it was close) but after Edelman had his hand underneath and was in firm control of it. That is a good catch.

That catch made me almost spill my drink.. Ive watched the second half a hundred times. Atlanta fans have been crying about that catch being a trap and also screaming that the refs gave the pats the game...hell. The even talk about coin flip gate... Rofl

I think one end of the ball did contact the ground (it was close) but after Edelman had his hand underneath and was in firm control of it. That is a good catch.

Nah, look at it again it never hit, JE's hands were clearly under it then he cradles it in. Good catch. I think point of football your referring to was after it was cradled but catch was made already.

Last edited:
It was even crazier than lyn swans ballerina catch years ago.

Prefer Kevin Harlan "Tom Brady with no regard for human life" while doing a QB sneak.:D

I thought they were fine. They highlighted multiple times that this was a historical opportunity for the Patriots and and were very quick to note game changing plays and the shift of momentum. Literally had zero complaints - one of the few broadcasts where I'd hand out an A-grade.

That was a great team (Cosell, Meredith, Gifford). When Howard got way too full of himself, Dandy Don would say just the right thing to bring him down a peg or two. And yes, Gifford was the perfect straight man to those two.
I guess I'm one of the few who like Hollingsworth. Yes, he was annoying as hell when he babbled in the 4th quarter about "looking Tom in the eye...blah, blah, blah", but he generally is pretty good.
I might be showing my age a bit, but I used to love hearing Pat Summerall and Tom Brookshier, and then Summerall and Madden.

I'd rank Madden 2nd all time,after cosell/ Meredith/Gifford.
Madden was a joke near the end of his career(e.g. 2001 SB lol). But in his prime he was one of the best,- better than anyone who's come after him.

Jesus

People see what they wanna. This is redic

No doubt. Even if i live long enough to get dementia ill remember that.

Do not even remember Buck and Aikman, what I do remember was the greatest football comeback of all time.. I was making a lot of noise, did not rely on what they were babbling about.. my eyes told me what was going on..

I do think that Joe Buck is in love with his voice though....

It was clearly a catch.

1) MM admitted his college mistake in an interview, so Aikman got that right.

2) I agree on this one. I've watched that play several dozen times and it seems like an intentional underthrow to me as well. Where else was Brady supposed to put it?

They were pretty good. Buck is good.

I'm general, the announcers don't really affect my enjoyment of a game. It's more just aural wallpaper.

I would say most of the color guys have been around too long (Michaels too). Time for fresh blood. Summerall and Madden in 2001 was like being at a nursing home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back