PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Very very late thread about CBS broadcast of Super Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

upstater1

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Don't know why this just occurred to me, but does anyone agree that Aikman and his sidekick were practically comatose during the 4th quarter. Such a blah reaction to an unbelievable 20 minutes of football. I know Collingsworth isn't a favorite around here but imagine if NBC did the game. He would have freaked out and at least been in tune with the magnitude of the comeback, and his enthusiasm would have driven the viewer tension even higher. Aikman has the personality of wallpaper.

Yes. They seemed in complete shock. I always try to imagine that Howard cosell is talking and somehow insulting both teams with his crazy statements.

In the seventies.. " oh goodness, that wasent so much a good play by the offense as iy was a bad play by the defense.. Theese teams should both crawl back under a rock in hoboken".

I should point out that Fox did the Super Bowl.

But I remember reading that Joe Buck, in particular has said he prefers the "less is more" approach to calling games. We don't get these guys a lot because they primarily do NFC games, but this is a complaint I've heard from NFC fans. It doesn't matter much to me, personally. It's all meh, when it comes to the broadcast teams.

If this is a thread about CBS and the Patriots, then this thread is about 13 years too late since, of all the Super Bowls the Patriots have gone to, CBS only did 1 (Super Bowl 38). :D

First, Collinsworth is a favorite of mine. He finds more nuances of things we can't see on TV to point out to us than anyone else color commentating right now. I know he made a big deal in SB49 about looking Tom straight in the eye, did you do it, etc., etc. That was "uncomfortable", but it lessened my opinion of him only temporarily. Aikman is OK, but he doesn't give nearly the insight. I thought though that Aikman did give high praise to Tom in the OT drive on the passes to Amendola, Hogan and Edelman. Overall, I agree that Michaels and Collinsworth would have been better, but Buck and Aikman weren't bad. Gives me an excuse to watch it again. :D

next year's super bowl will be on NBC, thankfully.

After the game, most people thought Buck and Aikman did a good job. They had a good call of the Edelman catch. Why do you need the announcers to be freaking - you can see the game - this is not radio. Besides Collinsworth was annoying as hell after the Butler interception. Yelping about Seattle so much did not give Butler props for 5 minutes.

But I remember reading that Joe Buck, in particular has said he prefers the "less is more" approach to calling games. We don't get these guys a lot because they primarily do NFC games, but this is a complaint I've heard from NFC fans. It doesn't matter much to me, personally. It's all meh, when it comes to the broadcast teams.
I've pointed this out before: the problem with Buck is he's first and foremost a baseball announcer. He's not personally passionate about football and is conditioned from calling baseball to be droll and matter-of-fact behind a microphone, which doesn't translate well.

ca26d62de955fdce6b2964e11e89deae.jpg

Yes. They seemed in complete shock. I always try to imagine that Howard cosell is talking and somehow insulting both teams with his crazy statements.

In the seventies.. " oh goodness, that wasent so much a good play by the offense as iy was a bad play by the defense.. Theese teams should both crawl back under a rock in hoboken".

The most entertaining tandem to ever do an NFL game- I dont care if you're talking local or national- I've heard em all- it's cosell and dandy don, handsdown. Gifford was the perfect straight man to those two.

Yep.. Jimnance is right. That was great stuff back then. Remember the guy who would sing " turn out the lights, the party is over" ?

I had no problem with the coverage and, in fact, thought it was pretty good.
They called the game as it was played and officiated on the field. Didn't second guess the refs excessively or make snarky comments when the Pats got a series of First Downs on one drive on Defensive Penalties.
They didn't give the game away when the Pats were down by 25 with three minutes to go in the Third Quarter.
They didn't go off the deep end when Brady threw the pick.
Like everyone else watching they were mesmerized by the Pats comeback but never used the "C" word. Instead they reported what they saw and gave the credit to the Patriots.
All in all, pretty good, IMO.
When you compare it to the obnoxious comments by Collingsworthless at the end of 49, it was positively terrific.

I think they are both average broadcasters. Aikman is always monotone but at least he offers some insight compared to Simms and doesn't think every line should be profound in hopes of an Emmy like Collinsworth.

Next time you listen to Buck do a game listen as the play starts. He's slow, deliberate, and matter of fact. As the crux of the play is about to happen he speeds up his cadence and volume. If the play then offers something even remotely interesting his tone crescendos and a simple 7 yard out on first down sounds like White crossing the goal line.

I know everybody does it to an extent but he's so pedantic about it he's become BuckBot in my mind and I cannot get over it. It's overly rehearsed.

Also his hyperbole about Aaron Rodgers drives me nuts. Aaron Rodgers is Steve Young. That's a pretty big compliment but BuckBot acts like nobody has ever scrambled and thrown on the run like he has and that's simply false. Newton, Vick, Staubach....

No. They were good.

And after SB 49 f**k Collinsworth

I was done with him after the Chargers game in 2007.

His pregame statement was "There are three things I don't believe in anymore: Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and Bill Belichick," expecting the Pats would get monkey-stomped without the benefit of unspecified cheating ways. After the Chargers were ripped to shreds and his theory on the Pats similarly was ripped to shreds, his post-game statement was literally incoherent babble.

He is an arrogant clown who overestimates his own intelligence greatly. The fact that he is everywhere commenting on the sport just makes him more annoying.

Put me in the camp who like Buck a little more after the Super Bowl. I remember him trying way harder years ago- and coming off like a phony (remember his tantrum when Moss fake-mooned Lambeau Field?). I like his "say less is more" approach and outside when he kept confusing Edelman and Amendola in the first Q, I thought his calls throughout the game (Edelman catch, "This is a tie game!", and the OT drive) were on point. Aikman is marginal but at least he stays out of his own way, unlike Simms and many others.

Can't stand Michaels anymore. His calls get sloppier every season, like he could give a crap. Liked it when Tirico replaced him a few games this year. Collinsworth is knowledgeable but I agree his SB49 performance was horrific. Talking about the Wells Report like it was the 9/11 commission during 3rd and 14 was unforgivably bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes