PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

USA Today predicts Patriots go undefeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Belichick himself, in the opening minutes of "America's game: 2004," having come off of a 2nd SB win in 3 years:

"Everyone in the region was telling the players how great they were. Everything was just great, great, and greater. And, really, the only person was me, telling the players we've got to work on this, or we've got to work on that. This won't be good enough. That won't be good enough. And don't worry about what everybody else is saying, because really...it won't be good enough."

I'd have to imagine that Bill is hard at work conveying the exact same message, only this time he's going to have to drive the point home even harder.

Last edited:
I don't see how losing the SB would be more devastating coming in undefeated than coming in with 3-4 losses. A lost SB is a lost SB.
If you don't think losing a 2nd SB after going 18-0 after all of that hype (again) would be more devastating than losing one under "normal" circumstances, I guess we'll just have to disagree.

There's obviously not much I can add here, aside from the fact that the 2007 loss is usually the one that stings the most for obvious reasons. I think seeing that happen again would be terrible.

Last edited:
I don't see how losing the SB would be more devastating coming in undefeated than coming in with 3-4 losses. A lost SB is a lost SB.

So SB42 was just as devastating as SB46?

If you don't think losing a 2nd SB after going 18-0 after all of that hype (again) would be more devastating than losing one under "normal" circumstances, I guess we'll just have to disagree.

There's obviously not much I can add here, aside from the fact that the 2007 loss is usually the one that stings the most for obvious reasons. I think seeing that happen again would be terrible.
I wouldn't trade 2007 for the same season but with a loss during the regular season too. It was enjoyable for 18. The 19th wouldn't have hurt less if the first 18 were less fun.
The shock wouldn't have been so big but that's not a reason to want another loss.

Every year I wish the jets go 6-10. Cant let them draft a difference maker. They might eventually get one.
USC QBs are incapable of playing in the NFL and thus, 1-15 should ensure the Jet draft a USC QB allowing the combined sucking to continue.

I really am not into the whole 19-0 thing.

But if it's the last cognizant thought Don Shula has before he fills his depends and goes to that sweaty locker room in the sky, well I'm all in.

It's reverse psychology. The other 31 paid USA Today to say it & drive the Patriots into the depths of bad karma. It's the only shot they think they've got.

USA today is trash though, right?

I love being a fan of this team. What other fanbase can discuss and debate articles predicting a defending champ going undefeated?

The ultimate in first world problems. Life is good in this regard.

Regards,
Chris

USC QBs are incapable of playing in the NFL and thus, 1-15 should ensure the Jet draft a USC QB allowing the combined sucking to continue.

Carson Palmer carved out a decent NFL career. Matt Cassel was good enough for an 11 win season in the right environment.

Think most of us learned from 2007 that 16-0, unless it becomes 19-0, is not satisfying.
Hell, 2007 only ranks as the 6th best season in the Brady/BB era, at best.
Now, 19-0-THAT would be awesome.
But all I really care about is winning Lombardi's.
only three teams have gone 18-1. Only one team has ever gone 16-0. Helmet catch.. 2007 is the best Patriots team of all time hands down.

Carson Palmer carved out a decent NFL career. Matt Cassel was good enough for an 11 win season in the right environment.
Palmer is an interception and big moment shrinking violet machine and Cassel, despite my personal like for him, has been at best, nothing more than an average NFL starter.

Even if the Pats right now had a 95% chance of victory in each game, the odds of going undefeated are sub 40%.

It's quite a feat.

Regards,
Chris
So what are the odds on finishing 17-2 which they have done three times, and 18-1 one time?

It is not just odds. If the Pats are head and tails better than their opponents, barring injury they should in fact win the games. And they really demonstrate this quite often by going 17-2, 18-1 so many times. There is no team better than BB and Brady's teams at getting to 14 wins in the regular season (5 I believe, closest others have 2 times)

If they go 16-0, they need that 19-0. If they fail again, we will never hear the end of it.

I am predicting 15-1 though with a L to either Denver or Miami. 15-1 would still be great imo.
Actually even if they did not complete it yet again it would still add to their greatness.

I'm not predicting anything more than a competitive season with another hopefully deep playoff run. Obviously, anything less than a division title would be an enormous disappointment, but this kind of 19-0 talk just puts more pressure on everyone. It's never been done.
Honestly expectations for this Pats team are waaay higher than that. "anything less than a division title"? This team I would say is as close as you get to being anything less than a Lombardi is a disappointment. Anything less than 13 regular season wins would be disappointment. (All barring injury of course)

Glad that guys like Edelman and McCourty are there to keep the team focused and "ignore the noise."

They need to win the division, try and secure a bye, then HFA. Same as every year. If they happen to be in a situation where they start 13-0, 14-0 or something like that, then the discussion becomes relevant.
You get to HFA by winning as many games as you can, which is all of them. If they get to 10-0 that will be early enough to talk undefeated. It will take a relatively early loss for people not to be talking undefeated with this team right from 1-0.

I'm all for taking a run at 19-0. It'll take away the final thing other fans have to mock us with.

The last 2 rings have taken the bite out of any mocking for Spygate/Deflategate and "what have you done recently, thats old news".

18-1 is the last mock they have, and it's as annoying as hearing '1918' from all the slobs in New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes