PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ty Law: Guaranteed Pats wouldn't have won the SB with Brady in 2020

This is a true statement. Who is debating the other side ?
The 2019 team had a way better defense and the team still did nothing. The 2019 team averaged only 17 points per game from Halloween through end of year.

This is a true statement. Who is debating the other side ?
The 2019 team had a way better defense and the team still did nothing. The 2019 team averaged only 17 points per game from Halloween through end of year.

The 2019 team didn't have Andrews all season, and lost more of its offensive line over the course of the season (Wynn was on the shelf for weeks, for example). It also lost both fullbacks to injury. That was as big a problem as anything, as the inablity to block for the QB destroyed the passing game as teams figured out that the remaining WRs couldn't get open quickly and the OL couldn't block. And it was still a 12 win team.

So, when people try arguing "But 2019..." in one form or another, it's incredibly lazy and misleading. Don't be one of those people.

I mean, Marshall freakin' Newhouse, for crying out loud.

He didn’t say anything we didn’t already know. This was a bad team last year that probably overachieved to get where they did. It was never fair to put it all on Cam
It was a bad team because of the QB. With adequate QB play it was a playoff team but not a championship team.

Yeah and water is wet.

We have seen how far this version of Brady can push an offense like that in 2019 and that was with a better defense (providing shorter fields, and substantially more defensive scores and fewer points allowed) and an easier lineup of opponents (especially in the AFCE). There is a good chance we would have missed the playoffs or barely made a wildcard in 2020. The only difference is we saved a lot of cap space by moving on to a substantially cheaper player that provided the same outcome.

This entire storyline was boring last year already..

Yeah and water is wet.

We have seen how far this version of Brady can push an offense like that in 2019 and that was with a better defense (providing shorter fields, and substantially more defensive scores and fewer points allowed) and an easier lineup of opponents (especially in the AFCE). There is a good chance we would have missed the playoffs or barely made a wildcard in 2020. The only difference is we saved a lot of cap space by moving on to a substantially cheaper player that provided the same outcome.

This entire storyline was boring last year already..
But the key was that the team did not have the resources to improve on the 2019 roster. They lost key players and had no cap space to add even without Brady’s contract.
If they had cap space to bring in players to fix the 2019 weaknesses, it would have been a different story. They didn’t.

The 2019 team didn't have Andrews all season, and lost more of its offensive line over the course of the season (Wynn was on the shelf for weeks, for example). It also lost both fullbacks to injury. That was as big a problem as anything, as the inablity to block for the QB destroyed the passing game as teams figured out that the remaining WRs couldn't get open quickly and the OL couldn't block. And it was still a 12 win team.

So, when people try arguing "But 2019..." in one form or another, it's incredibly lazy and misleading. Don't be one of those people.

“But Marshall Newhouse” is what’s incredibly lazy and misleading.

The 2019 team lost many key players to free agency and there was not only not enough cap space to retain the losses but none to add players to improve the roster, even before counting what Brady would have cost.

But the key was that the team did not have the resources to improve on the 2019 roster. They lost key players and had no cap space to add even without Brady’s contract.
If they had cap space to bring in players to fix the 2019 weaknesses, it would have been a different story. They didn’t.

And if they retained Brady at the same deal that the Bucs gave we'd still be in a similar boat in 2021. Just subtract about 45m from this year's available cap space (which includes last year's carry over) and there you go.

Unless you propose going down the Saints/Eagles route and restructuring hard to add fake years at the end of a couple players contracts I don't see how this team could have been rebuilt and been a contender around a 25m APY QB.

And if they retained Brady at the same deal that the Bucs gave we'd still be in a similar boat in 2021. Just subtract about 45m from this year's available cap space (which includes last year's carry over) and there you go.

Unless you propose going down the Saints/Eagles route and restructuring hard to add fake years at the end of a couple players contracts I don't see how this team could have been rebuilt and been a contender around a 25m APY QB.
Playing cap games is part of the process but doing it excessively is doom.
The patriots found the right way to mitigate it.

Brady made the best move of his career leaving and going to a team to get his 7th ring and 5th SB MVP and they are the faves to come out of the NFC this season as well. He is getting the story book ending that was never going to happen in NE and he added to his legacy winning with a different team in the NFC.

Now, I really wish folks like Law would stop carrying Newton's water. No one wants him back as the starter regardless of the upgrades made to the roster this off-season.

And Edelman had a career year stats wise in 2019 and missed most of the season in 2020. The Pats lost five of their front seven starters from 2019 on defense in 2020. Gilmore was playing injured for most of the year. We can play this tick for tack thing all day.

One thing is clear. The 2020 team was significantly worse than the 2019 with or without Brady.

If Law wanted to say he doubts the Patriots win the SB if Brady stayed here then say it. Most of us agree with that.

But emphasizing "I guarantee it!" feels like a dig. Just weird to me. It wasn't just that either, he's also said recently that any QB would have won that first Super Bowl. Not sure what he's really trying to get at with all of this especially after Brady's letter backing him up for the HOF.

And yeah the defense of Cam is bizarre too.

If Law wanted to say he doubts the Patriots win the SB if Brady stayed here then say it. Most of us agree with that.

But emphasizing "I guarantee it!" feels like a dig. Just weird to me. It wasn't just that either, he's also said recently that any QB would have won that first Super Bowl. Not sure what he's really trying to get at with all of this

you're reaching, bad, and digging deeper......let the thread go lol

And Edelman had a career year stats wise in 2019 and missed most of the season in 2020. The Pats lost five of their front seven starters from 2019 on defense in 2020. Gilmore was playing injured for most of the year. We can play this tick for tack thing all day.

No, you really can't. And it's "tit for tat"

One thing is clear. The 2020 team was significantly worse than the 2019 with or without Brady.
That's not remotely clear. It is, in fact, nonsense.

But emphasizing "I guarantee it!" feels like a dig. Just weird to me. It wasn't just that either, he's also said recently that any QB would have won that first Super Bowl. Not sure what he's really trying to get at with all of this especially after Brady's letter backing him up for the HOF.

I think for Law and really all the defensive players from the first 3 SBs, they have been trying for years to claim credit for those first 3 wins because people forget and just assume it has been ALL Brady for the last 20 years. Recency bias at its finest. I don't blame Law in a way but the narrative is pretty much set in stone. We are the only ones as Pats fans that still debate those early SB wins, everyone else just chalks them up to Brady given what he has accomplished.

I think what he is trying to get at is people ask him his opinion and he gives it.
The fact that it hurts your feelings is the bizarre part.

I think for Law and really all the defensive players from the first 3 SBs, they have been trying for years to claim credit for those first 3 wins because people forget and just assume it has been ALL Brady for the last 20 years. Recency bias at its finest. I don't blame Law in a way but the narrative is pretty much set in stone. We are the only ones as Pats fans that still debate those early SB wins, everyone else just chalks them up to Brady given what he has accomplished.
They have rings that they won as a team. Slicing up who gets what share of hypothetical credit for the accomplishment doesn’t matter to players.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back