PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ty Law: Guaranteed Pats wouldn't have won the SB with Brady in 2020

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Ty Law sharply defends Cam Newton for 2020 performance (usatoday.com)

Law: If Tom Brady was on the Patriots he wouldn’t be holding that Lombardi Trophy this year, I can guarantee you that.

He's probably correct but what a weird thing to say from Law of all people. Why take a dig at Brady to defend Cam. Don't see why that last part was necessary.

And I hope the team has a different opinion about keeping Cam than he does.

He's probably correct but what a weird thing to say from Law of all people. Why take a dig at Brady to defend Cam. Don't see why that last part was necessary.

I don't think it was in any way a dig at Brady. I think he was simply saying that the supporting cast around Cam was so bad that not even Tom Brady could have won with it. That's not a shot at Brady. I mean...with basically the same supporting cast in 2019 (but with a much better defense), Brady didn't really come close to winning it all.

Because the Pat's did not have AB.

That's where it all went wrong.

Law is most likely right and I am saying most likely only because you never know there could be a situation where all the stars align and the Pats defied the odds.

Brady couldn't carry this team in 2019 and the 2020 team's defense was worse than the 2019 defense and there were less weapons on offense with Edelman injured most of the year. I can't see how Brady would have carried the 2020 team to the Super Bowl when he couldn't in 2019 with an arguably better team.

How is that possibly a dig at Brady? If anything, that’s high praise. “Even Brady couldn’t have won with this roster.”
Saying you guarantee the GOAT couldn't have won with this team? Dunno...feels like a dig to me.

It's not the first time either that I've felt that way about Law's comments about Brady over the past year.

I don't think that was a dig at all against Brady. Every coach and QB needs talent on both of sides of the ball in order to win.

I think with Brady the Pats make it to the playoffs and possibly the AFC championship game.

If anything Law using Brady's name is showing respect that even the GOAT couldn't win a superbowl with the team Bill fielded in 2020. Bill the GM has sucked in the draft the last few years.

Saying you guarantee the GOAT couldn't have won with this team? Dunno...feels like a dig to me.

It's not the first time either that I've felt that way about Law's comments about Brady over the past year.

He couldn't have, though. That's how bad our roster was. That's the entire point he's making, and it only gets stronger the higher your opinion of Brady is.

Nothing Law said was a dig at Brady. In fact, he says that the loss of Brady's leadership and continuity was a reason why the Pats' struggled. If anything, it was a dig at Belichick as a GM and, even then, I don't think that was his intent. He was just saying this team was not talented enough to win even with Brady.

It wasn’t the best season for the Patriots or Cam Newton. But I will continue to say that if you think it would have been that much different or that much further along with Tom, I’ll still say I don’t think so,”

That's not a dig. I think it could have been left at that. (shrug)

Nothing Law said was a dig at Brady. In fact, he says that the loss of Brady's leadership and continuity was a reason why the Pats' struggled. If anything, it was a dig at Belichick as a GM and, even then, I don't think that was his intent. He was just saying this team was not talented enough to win even with Brady.
Which he was 100 percent spot on.
Seems To take old Parcels line Bill needs someone else to buy the groceries.
Bill can do the cooking but he needs a pro shopper.

Maybe Ty Law is tired of everyone giving Brady credit for the Super Bowls he won them on defense in the early years...

(Stirs pot... grabs popcorn... awaits the apocalypse...) ;)

Which he was 100 percent spot on.
Seems To take old Parcels line Bill needs someone else to buy the groceries.
Bill can do the cooking but he needs a pro shopper.

IDK, Belichick still does fairly well in free agency and with trades. He has sucked drafting in recent years, but even Ozzie Newsome goes through stretches where he misses more than hits.

We need to see how he does without Caserio. It could be that Caserio was the issue and he wasn't scouting the players well and bringing bad selections with bad recommendations to Belichick.

He's not shedding any light that any fan doesn't already know. With the talent that we had and with how bad Cam played at times, it was a miracle that we won 7 games last year.

source.gif

It’s pretty obvious. The 2019 team had already slipped below championship caliber. Even with not signing Brady the cap situation was such that they couldn’t keep their own free agents or even replace them. There was more talent defection than acquisition and there wasn’t really anything they could do about it.
A further depleted 2019 team wasn’t winning a SB. A reboot was needed. Brady leaving ultimately will be best for both Brady and the franchise because the franchise got an early start on what comes next. Of course many people are way too emotional to accept that.

He didn’t say anything we didn’t already know. This was a bad team last year that probably overachieved to get where they did. It was never fair to put it all on Cam

No great revelation here by Ty.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back