PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trent Williams interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we have a 2nd rounder like Duke Dawson have a 50-50 shot to make the roster, you know that you can trade a piece in the secondary and still be fine

The first step is to see how all the players perform in camp and during the preseason. After evaluating performance only then can the coaching staff look at upside. If they think the player has a lot of room to grow and will eventually come close to/surpass the more incumbent at the position they might starting thinking about moving players like JJ, Harmon, etc. If the gap is still big in 2019, then the gap in production without an adequate alternative might be too great to overcome.

With that said I don't see Obi and Harmon as the same player.

Trent Williams spotted at Logan Airport!! :p:p:p

1h0CLeF.jpg

People didn't like the idea when I proposed the idea back in June. What has changed? cap space. Please feel free to remove either this thread of the later one on Trent Williams.

Last edited:
People didn't like the idea when I proposed the idea back in June. What has changed? cap space. Please feel free to remove either this thread of the later one on Trent Williams.

WEEI posted something

Williams is a great LT and would be a great trade....

BUT, he does want more money/extension.

YES, I think he has had enough of the Redskins organization, it is a clown show down there.

It would be a great trade, I don't know what that will say about Wynn (other than my draft day tirade was 100% accurate). So hopefully Williams would live with his current salary on the hopes that he gets out of Washington and actually smells the playoffs.

It's 2 years

Mea culpa. Not sure how I missed that when I checked his contract on spotrac. This makes it a bit more problematic from the other side of things unless he is happy with his contract.

If it was his final year at least you could have sold him on the "play well and get a pay day like Solder and Brown.".

I am not saying he would not be a great player under Scar but it would still seem like a very inefficient allocation of resources.

Stranger things have happened.

I think it's fair to speculate that one thing that has changed in the minds of the fans is that Wynn seems to be behind what people were expecting/hoping. Combine that with the retirements, and the position of OT may seem more suspect now.

Williams is a great LT and would be a great trade....

BUT, he does want more money/extension.

YES, I think he has had enough of the Redskins organization, it is a clown show down there.

It would be a great trade, I don't know what that will say about Wynn (other than my draft day tirade was 100% accurate). So hopefully Williams would live with his current salary on the hopes that he gets out of Washington and actually smells the playoffs.
Still has two years left, is he really going to sit out? He may be much more willing to play for a first rate franchise.

I think it's fair to speculate that one thing that has changed in the minds of the fans is that Wynn seems to be behind what people were expecting/hoping. Combine that with the retirements, and the position of OT may seem more suspect now.
Plus Cannon may not have much left.

I think this is a no-brainer if the compensation is reasonable. Wynn is still working his way back from an Achilles and Cannon has been an injury waiting to happen.

Obi has not proven he can handle that - yet.

True, but he has some pedigree...and from what I have seen...I think he can contribute behind DMac and Chung....

And that being said, I LOVE Harmon....

Don’t want to trade Harmon. Period. That’s a terrible idea with two older safeties in front, and that’s not even addressing the likely 50% that he’s on the field in subs, maybe even more.

And I'm no cap expert, but I think a trade for Williams would make it so we don't take on the entire cap hit. Mostly the numbers I've been hearing if we were to deal for him, are the 11, 12 million numbers on the right.

Yep..I believe that's the case

True, but he has some pedigree...and from what I have seen...I think he can contribute behind DMac and Chung....

And that being said, I LOVE Harmon....
Hes picked off 3 passes in camp. Athletic as hell. Hes local. I'm pulling for him

1. The ONLY reason I think the Pats are being mentioned is that we have a PERCEIVED question at LT and Williams is a LT so it is an easy narrative for the media to get their heads around.

2. He'd cost the Pats around 10-11MM in cap space this season (his signing bonus and stuff remains with Washington). With a Brady extension it would probably be doable. BUT it would leave the Pats precious little room for any mid-season moves that are usually necessary due to injuries....even small ones.

3. The Pats haven't missed on an early round OLman since Klemm and Garcia and those were injury situations. The REALLY like Wynn and while we might be nervous about the LT situation, I wonder if they are.

4. There have to several IF's answered for this to go beyond media speculation.

a. IF Williams was willing to play for the next 2 years for his current money (about $12MM/yr. If a large part of his issues with Washington is money they this is dead in the water.

b. If Washington would be willing to accept players instead of picks, or at least high picks.

c. So IF the first 2 were a yes, THEN, I'd offer them Harmon, AND one of Dawson, Jones, or Crossen, PLUS a 5th rounder next season for Williams.

I think Harmon can be easily be replaced by a Obi/Brooks combination, and getting some value out of one of the CB's makes sense as well.

d. Williams would be locked in at LT for the next 2 years, Wynn would be an excellent swing guy/TE as he gets his feet wet. He can be a Thuney replacement for the next season as the Dane gets some work, and in 2021 be fully ready to go back to LT.

BUT those are a LOT of ifs. Too many to make this more than an interesting intellectual excercise

You guys really want to get rid of Big Play Harmon? I’m shocked. Harmon is a key part of the defense.

Maybe if they had drafted someone with a higher round pick, but the cupboard isn’t exactly stuffed at safety to begin with now. One injury to DMac/Chung/Harmon and we could see a ton of issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back