PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS TRAINING CAMP Training Camp Day 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what your issue is. I ask you for your opinion on something and you somehow turn this around into some kind of personal attack. Chill out for a change..
Oh, I’m chill. But a straw man argument is a straw man argument. I didn’t make any comment about the “short stuff he did under Turner” being “smoke and mirrors.” Is everything okay?

Oh, I’m chill. But a straw man argument is a straw man argument. I didn’t make any comment about the “short stuff he did under Turner” being “smoke and mirrors.” Is everything okay?

I never said that. And I never implied you did. And there is nothing in my post that suggests that.

I am sincerely asking if in your opinion all the good stuff we have heard about Cam playing well until the shoulder injury was less because of him and more due to others bailing him out.

I am not trying to find a "gotcha" or create some argument based on that but am simply asking for your opinion on the short/intermediate passing game in the 2018 tape you were watching.

I don't think I can make myself more clear and I don't understand your antagonistic tone.

I never said that. And I never implied you did. And there is nothing in my post that suggests that.

I am sincerely asking if in your opinion all the good stuff we have heard about Cam playing well until the shoulder injury was less because of him and more due to others bailing him out.

No. He played well in Turner’s system. You could tell early on that they probably put more or an emphasis on him settling for the short stuff instead of waiting for a deeper route to develop in camp. At least that’s my guess. As the season progressed, he began to pick up some of those older habits again. When I looked, it started around the Redskins game. Generally speaking, pro quarterbacks should be able to hit the short stuff. And he has. But, generally speaking, even under Turner, he’s played like a typical mobile QB - trust your legs to get out of danger and hold the ball until the coverage breaks down.

I might still have some old clips that I can dig through and God knows there’s a lot of stuff on Twitter, but those are short clips from the game feed for the most part. Still, you can get a sense.

I am not trying to find a "gotcha" or create some argument based on that but am simply asking for your opinion on the short/intermediate passing game in the 2018 tape you were watching.

I don't think I can make myself more clear and I don't understand your antagonistic tone.

We’re on the Internet. The “tone” is in your head. Next time, word the post better so it doesn’t look like you’re attributing an argument to me.

You specifically used the term "smoke and mirrors", albeit with an extra "s".

So in your opinion all that short and intermediate stuff he got to execute under Norv Turner in 2018 and supposedly looked pretty good at until his shoulder got shredded was this all just smokes and mirrors (i.e. McCaffrey & Olson) ?

You got me curious now.

Judging from the back and forth here, the difference between what you may have been intending to convey, and what you actually conveyed (or, if you prefer, how it was interpreted), seems to be the problem.

A point on Stidham's INTs:

Of Stidham's 7 interceptions in the last 3 days:
  • 4 on out-breaking routes to his back side
  • 2 underthrown deep balls
  • 1 out-route to the right side

Last year, the team cut the better QB (Hoyer) in favor of the potential of the lesser QB (Stidham) because they thought they could re-sign the veteran. Will they do the same thing this year, if it seems that Hoyer is still the better QB, as early camp reports seem to be saying without saying?

With the proviso , its early yet , but could we at least look for a glimpse of hope in that from some of the reports the recievers are making some catches against the NFL best secondary :excited:

The thing is if INTs keep happening then the "just trying to figure out the receiver chemistry" excuse becomes a crock of ****. Because either the skill players keep repeating mistakes or the QB is.

Last edited:

The thing is if INTs keep happening then the "just trying to figure out the receiver chemistry" excuse becomes a crock of ****. Because either they keep repeating mistakes or the QB is.
What a bizarre take from Hoyer of all people.

I’m trying to remember who said, “Stats are for losers.”

BB is huge on stats and data. That's not because it's all meaningless.

I absolutely hate the "QB X threw 2 interceptions in practice" crap. This is when they should be throwing interceptions, early in camp. They are working on the timing with the receivers, adjusting to this he speed of the defense, reading the coverage, testing what works and what doesn't. I think it was Aaron Rodgers who said a year or two ago that he throws interceptions in practice because he is experimenting with timing and throw angles so he can bring that to the game.
It's fine when you're already established as the starter such as Aaron Rodgers, but I don't think it's to wise to just chuck it up and use the reasons above if it doesn't go your way when you're trying to make the team/become the starter.

Cassel is the very, very, rare exception where he played terribly, yet won the back up job/became starter when Brady got injured.

When are we, as a group, allowed to slot Harris as a Bust?

Asking for a friend
Unfortunately, the only thing good about Harris is his availability. Lazar has said he doesn't have any burst and won't be running away from defenders. And don't expect him to do anything different than Michel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick