PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade up now or wait

The talk of the draft will be how Bill trades up which I think he will. He's been too aggressive in FA to just sit at pick #15. If not, he's going front 7.

you're also assuming you'd find a trade partner willing to jump the gun now, when they hold all the cards......waiting tends to be in the best interest of the team making the move down

We dont know what bills board looks like. He may like/prefer jones or trask to all those guys but Lawrence for all we know, or at least have them closely rated enough where he doesn’t find the value in probably giving up a ransom to move up 5 spots. Imo it will cost a lot to trade up that much whether you do it now or on draft day.
But he has to do it. Honestly I dont care what his board looks he’s got to go get the qb. It’s absurd to think he has trash higher than the top 4. If he likes jones as a top 5 pick then someone else might too so he needs to go up and get him.
It doesn’t matter what it costs he has to get get his guy.

If bb is looking to get a contribution from the rookie next season, then we can rule out lance. He needs a lot of time,

if you look at Wilson’s tape, you wonder how he could fit in our offense.

if you look at fields tape, you see a one read qb, aka Dwayne Haskins part 2.

For which one of these guys is bb trading the farm?

you're also assuming you'd find a trade partner willing to jump the gun now, when they hold all the cards......waiting tends to be in the best interest of the team making the move down
No, I didn’t assume that at all. I said pursue it. And I’m fine if they pay a little extra to be sure it gets done.
Im concerned we get outbid when the pick is on the clock. In this one instance because we need the QB we just have to do what it takes. The only thing that is unacceptable is coming away without the QB

Too risky. We cannot walk away without the QB
If you have to trade up higher than you could have gotten away with, so be it.
You don’t know much more in draft day.

You can’t count on a prearranged agreement. Someone else can jump up and offer more.

I understand the logic but logic goes out the window because it is just totally unacceptable to not get the qb.

Only issue I have with trading up NOW is that the QB you want may not be there... what if Bill's evaluation of Lance or Fields is that they are overrated and the only guy he likes is Wilson? Then what if Wilson goes #2 to the Jete? NE's then stuck with a top 5 pick, which they would use to draft Pitts or Waddle, which is unacceptable. In your scenario, Wilson, Lance, or Fields are all acceptable, which may not be the case for Bill.

i don't think the difference between QB3 and QB5/6 is not as vast as some are making it out to be

someone like lance may have a higher risk/reward, but the gap is not large.......

Last edited:
What about just pulling the trigger now?

Say we move up to 4...and the Jete and the Fish decide to go QB QB...we would possibly miss out on Fields assuming that he is our #1 target ahead of Lance.

If the Pats strike now the need to slink into the Top 5 as....

JAX will take Lawrence
Jets happy with Darnold? Trade down?
MIA happy with Tua? Trade down?
ATL should take a QB but who knows
CIN has Burrows - that seems like the move up to me
Philly happy with Hurts?
Lions need a QB
Panthers need a QB
Bronks happy w/ Lock?

Cheap-ass Paul Brown will want a bevy of picks.

Trying to remember but I don't think BB has ever made a trade w/ CIN.

Plus that whole camera episode can't help discussions.

If bb is looking to get a contribution from the rookie next season, then we can rule out lance. He needs a lot of time,

if you look at Wilson’s tape, you wonder how he could fit in our offense.

if you look at fields tape, you see a one read qb, aka Dwayne Haskins part 2.

For which one of these guys is bb trading the farm?
Fields is entirely different than Haskins. @BaconGrundleCandy posted a great analysis showing fields doing a great job going beyond 1 read.
There is a huge difference between tour first read being open a lot and not knowing what to do if he isn’t.

Why wouldn’t Wilson fit in our offense?

Say we move up to 4...and the Jete and the Fish decide to go QB QB...we would possibly miss out on Fields assuming that he is our #1 target ahead of Lance.
And? I mean Miami isn’t drafting a QB, but if it’s Lance then it’s Lance.
We are talking about having a menu of shlt sandwiches at the QB position right now. Having to settle for Lance is better than chowing down more feces.

All 4 are miles better than anything we have or anything else we can get. Sleeping on it and getting no one would be the worst plan.
If Fields is their target, then they have to wait, I don't think top two is an option for us or will Jags or Jets entertain a trade. If Fields is there are after Jets, and they really really want him, then entire draft class for this year minus a fifth or 6th rounder for a kicker. Who will take up on this trade? Atlanta? We can wait Atlanta out. Can wait Cinny out, target Eagles perhaps? They have holes in roster and will salivate with the draft picks.

Fields is entirely different than Haskins. @BaconGrundleCandy posted a great analysis showing fields doing a great job going beyond 1 read.
There is a huge difference between tour first read being open a lot and not knowing what to do if he isn’t.

Why wouldn’t Wilson fit in our offense?

wilson needs to be in a wide zone scheme

If the Pats strike now the need to slink into the Top 5 as....

JAX will take Lawrence
Jets happy with Darnold? Trade down?
MIA happy with Tua? Trade down?
ATL should take a QB but who knows
CIN has Burrows - that seems like the move up to me
Philly happy with Hurts?
Lions need a QB
Panthers need a QB
Bronks happy w/ Lock?

Cheap-ass Paul Brown will want a bevy of picks.

Trying to remember but I don't think BB has ever made a trade w/ CIN.

Plus that whole camera episode can't help discussions.
I think Atlanta is the spot and I think there is no chance they draft a qb.
There is no way belichick is going to let the camera thing prevent him from making a trade he needs to make. Actually cincy being cheap helps because 15 costs a lot less than 5.

But he has to do it. Honestly I dont care what his board looks he’s got to go get the qb. It’s absurd to think he has trash higher than the top 4. If he likes jones as a top 5 pick then someone else might too so he needs to go up and get him.
It doesn’t matter what it costs he has to get get his guy.

Okay so say he has his guy and thinks he needs to trade up to 5 to get him. What would then prevent someone from leaping him to 4 and getting that guy? It can happen whether you trade up now or wait till draft day.

If Fields is their target, then they have to wait, I don't think top two is an option for us or will Jags or Jets entertain a trade. If Fields is there are after Jets, and they really really want him, then entire draft class for this year minus a fifth or 6th rounder for a kicker. Who will take up on this trade? Atlanta? We can wait Atlanta out. Can wait Cinny out, target Eagles perhaps? They have holes in roster and will salivate with the draft picks.
If fields goes 2 we still have to have a QB.
It’s not like we should just sit at 15 and take a lb.
Why “wait Atlanta out” there are many excellent players they can take. They have no need to trade the pick. We NEED the pick abs we can’t risk someone else offering more and we get left empty handed to watch another season obliterated by QB play.

Okay so say he has his guy and thinks he needs to trade up to 5 to get him. What would then prevent someone from leaping him to 4 and getting that guy? It can happen whether you trade up now or wait till draft day.
Anything can happen. We could also trade up from 5 to 4 and could outbid the other team. Sitting at 15 we could easily get **** out. Trading now puts us in a stronger spot. Personally I see no chance of QBs going 1,2,3 and 4 but if that’s possible then move up to 4.

i don't think there's any guarantee detroit is in the QB market in this draft......

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back