PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade up now or wait

Not sure what he'll do but I'd wait and see how the draft is going and get an idea exactly how far you need to trade up. That is IF Bill likes one of the top guys, we don't even know if BB likes any of them after Lawrence goes enough to do a trade up.
But he has to like them If he isn’t going to draft a an in round 1 nothing he has done this off season makes sense.

The problem with waiting is what happens if you wait them someone else jumps in and outbids you?
Then you are totally screwed.
This is BAU, this is an enormous ugly gaping hole in the middle of a very strong roster. You have to get the QB. It is 1000 times more acceptable to pay too much or move up higher than you needed to than to be left without a QB

Unless Bill has a specific QB in mind, I would say no until the draft plays out. I get the feeling the Jets and Falcons will pass up on QBs, so if that happens Bill can trade up with Cincinnatti and hop in front of Carolina who is desperate for a QB.
Then what happens when someone outbids us and we get left without a QB?

Its very clear we are drafting a QB. It’s also very likely we are trading up to do it.
I want that QB to be Justin Fields. Probably need to go to 4 to be sure.
Does it make more sense to do it early or wait until draft day? Will the price go up or down?
I think BB needs to approach this like he did Free Agency. He had a plan, he new what he needed, and he went out and got it right away.
I think he should be talking trades now up to 4th or 5th. One of the top 4 will be there at 5 so unless you hate one and need to go up higher your in position at 5, and of course you are at 4. Bb should be having long talks with Atlanta and Cincy and if the price is acceptable do it now.
Yeah they'll draft a QB but the BIG QUESTION is WHEN? I have a strong feeling they'll draft a LB or something and then take a QB in round 3 or 4....maybe the kid from Standford Davis Mills. I swear the Pats go against the grain just because. The Patriots NEVER pick the player ANYONE predicts them to.

Won’t happen if the order stays as is but trades can change the outlook. Really hinges on whether Miami deals out of their spot or stays put.
Teams may also trade up for non QBs.
Yeah they'll draft a QB but the BIG QUESTION is WHEN? I have a strong feeling they'll draft a LB or something and then take a QB in round 3 or 4....maybe the kid from Standford Davis Mills. I swear the Pats go against the grain just because. The Patriots NEVER pick the player ANYONE predicts them to.
that would be a tremendous mistake.

I’m worried about the panthers moving up especially if ATL goes qb at 4. Much easier for them to jump up to 5 to take whoever’s left of fields/Lance than us at 15.

IF the Jets keep Darnold, they could go with OT Sewell & leave one more potential QB option if we do indeed trade up. Not too far fetched..

I’m worried about the panthers moving up especially if ATL goes qb at 4. Much easier for them to jump up to 5 to take whoever’s left of fields/Lance than us at 15.
And bb just can’t let that happen which is why I suggest doing it now rather than risking a bidding war you may not be able to win on the clock.

The best thing would be to work out a trade for 4, 5, 6, or 7 in advance, but not announce it until draft day and even until on the clock, so that you won't get jumped by another team making a trade.

If the Jets and Atlanta do not take a qb in the draft, the chances of bb trading up, go up substantially,

ps: I would give Jacksonville all our picks this year and next year’s top three for the number 1 pick this year.

And bb just can’t let that happen which is why I suggest doing it now rather than risking a bidding war you may not be able to win on the clock.
Curious to see what ATL does. They essentially have Ryan for 2 more years so you could still go qb to develop behind him next season but they also have a lot of holes to fix pretty much everywhere but Wr. They’re a good trade partner if they pass on qb to address other areas.

Then what happens when someone outbids us and we get left without a QB?

Wait and see what the Jete are going to do, because if they pass on a QB then NE does not have to get desperate. It's going to cost a King's ransom to trade up that far, anyway. At least 3 first rounders and more. You can work out at trade for 4 or 5 in advance but only if the guy you want is guaranteed to be there. Hence, Bill can make a conditional agreement. The only QB I would trade up into the top 5 is Wilson. Odds are that either Fields or Lance are going drop a bit and then you can trade with Detroit for less draft capital.

The best thing would be to work out a trade for 4, 5, 6, or 7 in advance, but not announce it until draft day and even until on the clock, so that you won't get jumped by another team making a trade.
You can still lose the trade if someone else comes along and offers more at the 11th hour.
If you agree to trade 15 and next years 1 to Atlanta for 4 but don’t finalize it until they are in the clock and Carolina wants 4 they can just keep upping the offer until theirs is better. 8 and their 22 1st beats us hands down. Atlanta won’t say sorry we had agreed we would trade it to someone else the less.

It’s happened before in 1999 when Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, and Akili Smith were gone with the first three picks.
And yet a 2nd Rnd QB* taken as the 6th QB and a 4th Rounder* as the 8th from that draft are the only ones with a ring.

*So maybe only one game started and 6 games played between the two during the SB winning season.

Curious to see what ATL does. They essentially have Ryan for 2 more years so you could still go qb to develop behind him next season but they also have a lot of holes to fix pretty much everywhere but Wr. They’re a good trade partner if they pass on qb to address other areas.
They need too many other things to draft a guy who won’t help until at least 23. Too many cornerstone players available at 4 for a team that really needs to get better now.

Wait and see what the Jete are going to do, because if they pass on a QB then NE does not have to get desperate. It's going to cost a King's ransom to trade up that far, anyway. At least 3 first rounders and more. You can work out at trade for 4 or 5 in advance but only if the guy you want is guaranteed to be there. Hence, Bill can make a conditional agreement. The only QB I would trade up into the top 5 is Wilson. Odds are that either Fields or Lance are going drop a bit and then you can trade with Detroit for less draft capital.
Too risky. We cannot walk away without the QB
If you have to trade up higher than you could have gotten away with, so be it.
You don’t know much more in draft day.

You can’t count on a prearranged agreement. Someone else can jump up and offer more.

I understand the logic but logic goes out the window because it is just totally unacceptable to not get the qb.

But he has to like them If he isn’t going to draft a an in round 1 nothing he has done this off season makes sense.

The problem with waiting is what happens if you wait them someone else jumps in and outbids you?
Then you are totally screwed.
This is BAU, this is an enormous ugly gaping hole in the middle of a very strong roster. You have to get the QB. It is 1000 times more acceptable to pay too much or move up higher than you needed to than to be left without a QB

We dont know what bills board looks like. He may like/prefer jones or trask to all those guys but Lawrence for all we know, or at least have them closely rated enough where he doesn’t find the value in probably giving up a ransom to move up 5 spots. Imo it will cost a lot to trade up that much whether you do it now or on draft day.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back