PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tough division games

Status
Not open for further replies.
We hear comments all the time about tough division games. Are they? The Patriots are 12-1 in their last 13 division games.
Brady lifetime is 79-20 in division games.

What is the average score?

They seem pretty tough to me, at least the first halves of virtually all of our division games. We rarely pull away (if at all) until the 2nd half. I am going to Miami in two weeks and hope I see a blow out for once, but I am not expecting it.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I think he's simply pointing out we should stop demanding the Pats be up 24-0 at halftime of every game we play.

I just looked back at the 2003 season and our 15 game winning streak. We won just 2 games by more than 12 points.

The OP is trying to sell a bum steer that division games are not tough.

13 - 13 in the 3rd quarter of any Pats game is being played tough. Being held in Buffalo to 4 FGs 42 minutes into the contest is being played tough. Just because the Pats won does not indicate that the game was not tough.

They seem pretty tough to me, at least the first halves of virtually all of our division games. We rarely pull away (if at all) until the 2nd half. I am going to Miami in two weeks and hope I see a blow out for once, but I am not expecting it.
I know that’s the perception but we have won 12 of the last 13 by an average score of 30-13.

The OP is trying to sell a bum steer that division games are not tough.

13 - 13 in the 3rd quarter of any Pats game is being played tough. Being held in Buffalo to 4 FGs 42 minutes into the contest is being played tough. Just because the Pats won does not indicate that the game was not tough.
12/13 by an average score of 30-13 by definition is not tough

The only reason we were tied with NY midway through 3 was our own doing. We were moving the ball well but shot ourselves in the foot with penalties and missed redzone chances.

Bowl Haircut gift wrapped the 1st NE TD when he gave Brady another shot on 3rd down.

BB should send him a gift certificate to Outback Steakhouse.

Bowl Haircut gift wrapped the 1st NE TD when he gave Brady another shot on 3rd down.

BB should send him a gift certificate to Outback Steakhouse.

Yeah was an interesting call to say the least.

Just to add to this. Starting after Brady’s suspension in 2016 the patriots have won 12/13 division games by an average margin of 17 points.
Since the start of the 2016 season there have been 161 games with a 17 point + margin of victory. That’s 5 per team or less than 2 per team per year. It that unusual.
The patriots average beating their division opponents by 17 and have won by 17 or more 8 times in 13 games.
In other words a 17 point win in the nfl happens about once ever 8 games for a typical team and for the patriots against division rivals, it’s their average game, and they win by 17 or more over 60% of the time.

No the op understands a game is 60 minutes and all 60 count

The OP is like the guy who is commuting home 3 mph n bumper to bumper traffic until the street he turns off on. Then its clear sailing for another easy drive home.

I know that’s the perception but we have won 12 of the last 13 by an average score of 30-13.
Hmmm. Did Sunday really feel like a blow out? We were tied at the half. In Buffalo we were up 9-3 at the half and 12-6 at the end of the 3rd. We ended up winning both games comfortably, but it sure took us a while to get there. Last year we lost one contest to lowly Buffalo. The Miami game in Foxboro earlier this year was a blowout, but I'd be lying if I said I expected the same result in Miami. Perhaps the correct thing to say is that the Pats eventually make most division games look like laughers, but it's never as easy as it looks on the stat sheet by the end of the game.

Hmmm. Did Sunday really feel like a blow out? We were tied at the half. In Buffalo we were up 9-3 at the half and 12-6 at the end of the 3rd. We ended up winning both games comfortably, but it sure took us a while to get there. Last year we lost one contest to lowly Buffalo. The Miami game in Foxboro earlier this year was a blowout, but I'd be lying if I said I expected the same result in Miami. Perhaps the correct thing to say is that the Pats eventually make most division games look like laughers, but it's never as easy as it looks on the stat sheet by the end of the game.
A game is 60 minutes long.
We did not lose to buffalo last year. We beat them by 20 and 21.

The OP is like the guy who is commuting home 3 mph n bumper to bumper traffic until the street he turns off on. Then its clear sailing for another easy drive home.
No the OP is like having a great trip home where you arrive easily in time. You are crying because while that happened one light took a few extra seconds to turn and you had to pump the brakes once because someone slowed down.
27-13 is a big win in the nfl.

Just to add to this. Starting after Brady’s suspension in 2016 the patriots have won 12/13 division games by an average margin of 17 points.
Since the start of the 2016 season there have been 161 games with a 17 point + margin of victory. That’s 5 per team or less than 2 per team per year. It that unusual.
The patriots average beating their division opponents by 17 and have won by 17 or more 8 times in 13 games.
In other words a 17 point win in the nfl happens about once ever 8 games for a typical team and for the patriots against division rivals, it’s their average game, and they win by 17 or more over 60% of the time.

Ya, but they don't look impressive doing it.

:cool:

I always thought a game was about winning and impressive was about how often you do it.

Oh c'mon Andy. You had to know I was.making a funny.

I'm with you on this one.

No the OP is like having a great trip home where you arrive easily in time. You are crying because while that happened one light took a few extra seconds to turn and you had to pump the brakes once because someone slowed down.
27-13 is a big win in the nfl.

The OP is a Homer who is resorting to "averages" thereby giving the illusion that NE has won the last 13 division games by a wide margin. False and deceptive. Averages spread the damage or wealth over a broader area by putting lipstick on a pig. You have already lost your own premise from massaging the facts to fit a false narrative.

For example - Gronks numbers have been down, but after you average in his whole career he is still playing at a Pro Bowl level. See, nothing wrong with him so pay the man his 9 mil in salary next season.

A cursory glance at a few division games bears out the truth that many games have been 1 score victories and that the opponent was within striking distance.

NE 24 - NYJ 17. Half 14 - 14 tie.
NE 27 - MIA 20 Brady was sacked 2 times and threw 2 INTs.

If there is still time on the clock for the opponent there is time to score. Just like in the NO vs Minn game last post season when Stefon Diggs shocked the Saints.

NE 31 - MIA 24
NE 22 - NYJ 17 Jets were ahead 17 - 16 with 7:00 remaining in the 4th quarter.

NE 40 - BUFF 32. With 4:16 left in the game NE 37 - BUFF 32.

45 minutes had elapsed in many of these games and there was no clear victor because they were tough division games. Revisionist history does not change the truth.

The OP is a Homer who is resorting to "averages" thereby giving the illusion that NE has won the last 13 division games by a wide margin. False and deceptive. Averages spread the damage or wealth over a broader area by putting lipstick on a pig. You have already lost your own premise from massaging the facts to fit a false narrative.

For example - Gronks numbers have been down, but after you average in his whole career he is still playing at a Pro Bowl level. See, nothing wrong with him so pay the man his 9 mil in salary next season.

A cursory glance at a few division games bears out the truth that many games have been 1 score victories and that the opponent was within striking distance.

NE 24 - NYJ 17. Half 14 - 14 tie.
NE 27 - MIA 20 Brady was sacked 2 times and threw 2 INTs.

If there is still time on the clock for the opponent there is time to score. Just like in the NO vs Minn game last post season when Stefon Diggs shocked the Saints.

NE 31 - MIA 24
NE 22 - NYJ 17 Jets were ahead 17 - 16 with 7:00 remaining in the 4th quarter.

NE 40 - BUFF 32. With 4:16 left in the game NE 37 - BUFF 32.

45 minutes had elapsed in many of these games and there was no clear victor because they were tough division games. Revisionist history does not change the truth.
You are making my point.
You listed 3 games that were among the 13 I referred to.
Again football games are 60 minutes long.

I don't think there is any questioning the level of dominance within the division for so many years.

That being said, a 27-13 win on the surface appears like a comfortable win but the eye test reveals that it was more competitive than the final score indicates. Does that infer it was a tough game? I'm not sure. In my opinion, they let the Jets hang around longer than they should have but as AJ points out, it is a 60 minute game.

I've always preferred to see them play in tougher games regardless of the opponent. They publicly acknowledge how they need to play better (penalties, red-zone, 3rd down, etc.) which is always good for a team but more importantly, games that are close in the 4th conditions them mentally which ideally helps them in the playoffs.

Critics of Brady who have declared their personal agenda like to look at final stats or specific throws and declare his demise or at best average play but when the chips are down and you need that money play, show me a QB that plays better than Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST