PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady says he's done "for good"

Is it really an issue?

If you look at the coaches and front office types who have left they have all left for roles which advanced their career. It's not like they are leaving for lateral/lesser roles with other teams.
A few of them have (made a lateral move - or at least a more prominent role with that new team), but the bigger thing is just the fact that so many of those situations end on seemingly bad terms. It's a little strange. I mean, Caley's the latest, and his situation deteriorated so badly that there were multiple people already saying there was no way he'd be back in 2023 - and that was going back to last offseason.

I kind of wonder if they handled that better if maybe he could have taken on the playcalling duties better than Patricia last season. But if you look at the fact that scenario has played out so many times, it's obvious that there's a dynamic in place that tends to cause a little more animosity than you would expect to see here. Also, look at the situation with Mayo before Kraft seemingly stepped in. Definitely feels like it's a bit of an issue.

A few of them have (made a lateral move - or at least a more prominent role with that new team), but the bigger thing is just the fact that so many of those situations end on seemingly bad terms. It's a little strange. I mean, Caley's the latest, and his situation deteriorated so badly that there were multiple people already saying there was no way he'd be back in 2023 - and that was going back to last offseason.
Caley hit a glass ceiling. It happens. Same thing happened here to Pepper, O'Shea, Graham, Daboll, Boyer, etc.
I kind of wonder if they handled that better if maybe he could have taken on the playcalling duties better than Patricia last season.
Who knows. There were reports they wanted to give him playcalling duties but he insisted on the title and pay increase and BB shot that down.
But if you look at the fact that scenario has played out so many times, it's obvious that there's a dynamic in place that tends to cause a little more animosity than you would expect to see here. Also, look at the situation with Mayo before Kraft seemingly stepped in. Definitely feels like it's a bit of an issue.
I don't see it. What I do see is BB's staff is poached more than any other one in the league which by sheer volume gives any change heightened visibility.

I don't see it. What I do see is BB's staff is poached more than any other one in the league which by sheer volume gives any change heightened visibility.
This is certainly the case. And again, McDaniels definitely put them in a tough situation last season, which certainly contributed to what ended up being a long year.

This is certainly the case. And again, McDaniels definitely put them in a tough situation last season, which certainly contributed to what ended up being a long year.
Sure but I blame BB for that- not Josh. He totally botched the OC position. He didn't plan well enough

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
FSrTEmmUEAAelJ3.jpg
Why was this taken...

My favorite Brady hype video ever.

I'll always remember in High School looking though the 2000 NFL preview magazine and seeing Bledsoe, John Friez, Michael Bishop and some random guy named Tom Brady. Knowing that it was very rare to carry 4 QB's, I turn to my friend and said..."this guy will get cut".

He had an amazing career.

First your narrative that the Pats kicked Brady out is a lie. Brady LEFT for greener pastures. He knew the Pats were going to go through ANOTHER rebuilding process and he rightfully realized that he needed to go to a team with a better roster if he was going to win #7 They DID invest in him HEAVILY from 2014-19 and put themselves in cap hell doing it.

There is one thing I always ask someone who thinks the Pats should have resigned Brady for $25MM/yr in 2020. Remember that year, with a stripped down roster already, and a QB that cost them $1MM against the cap, and they were STILL in cap hell in 2020 (not to mention that it WOULD have been even worse if Covid hadn't happened and HIghtower, Chung, etc had to count against the cap). Who ELSE would have had to go in order to give Tom his money.

No it made NO sense at all for Tom and it made no sense for the Pats. The PR could have gone better, I guess, but as a football decision, the CORRECT move was made by BOTH parties.

Cost of Brady ($25) was the same cost of Devin McCourty and Joe Thuney (on franchise tag.) They had enough to pay those two veterans and had enough to pay Brady obviously. There was also an additional $12.5M (6.25M twice at different stages of the timeline) hit they took in NOT extending Brady, so there was even more incentive with cap savings. Seems that Team Stidham / Team Cam has a selective memory of the actual events in 2020 when most of you claimed there was no reason to REBUILD because the team simply needed a younger and more invested leader at QB to continue contending.

The Patriots didn't trade championship veteran players for draft picks or let them walk for younger options for a rebuild. They had a chance to trade Gilmore when his value was high in the 2020 offseason and chose not to. They did absolutely nothing that a team in rebuilding mode would actually do. Instead, they re-signed all of their core veteran players in 2020 with the savings from not signing Brady. They could have also structured a Brady deal for a huge delayed hit in 2021, but instead they chose to spend that insane amount of extra cash of free agents, many of whom were horrible deals, but Team Bill scoffed at any criticism and continues to defend signings like Jonnu Smith.

This goes well beyond 2020...you people act like they got themselves into cap hell during the mid-late 2010s in order to keep a championship team in tact. Ridiculous and untrue on so many levels. Their contracts were never backloaded like the Saints, Rams, or other teams truly doing what you claim the Patriots did. This is why the Patriots parted ways with a handful of players like Amendola, Cooks, Jones, Blount, etc. They could have been creative and pushed those cap hits into later years but chose not to, even though, again, they had a massive gap year in 2021 where they could have done this. Everything they did regarding the cap was for year-to-year contention and not sacrificing the future for the present, and it was particularly baffling because of all the empty drafts during that time, so you had a championship roster of veterans without the up and coming rookie contracts to replace them. And yet, you claim the opposite, that the Patriots went "all-in" and sacrificed their cap in order to contend...reading Team Bill is like living in world where everything is upside down.

It's so aggravating that this board is filled with revisionist history and you guys can't just acknowledge the Patriots vastly overestimated their ability to replace Brady. Everyone outside of the Bill cult in New England realizes this. Whether Brady would have returned to New England had they played their cards differently...argumentative...different sources and fake news galore....I don't care to go down that path. In the end, the Patriots had the greatest QB of all-time with more left in the tank and he left an organization that's supposedly the smartest think tank in the world. They could have afforded him and were not rebuilding; they were not in cap hell even if their cap situation in 2020 wasn't ideal. The consensus from this board, the media, and sources close to the team at the time were all in unison that this had to do with the Patriots feeling they were okay with their system, coaches, roster, and financial discipline to part ways with a player who was no longer happy, could no longer perform at the same level, and was likely going to embarass himself by continuing to play at his advanced age.

Last edited:
I was alive to see the TB run as a Pats fan and the Russell run as a Celtics fan. Those odds must be up there.

Never saw Russell play outside of grainy YouTube videos.

You have been blessed, Sir!

So, over at the Atheltic...Mark Puelo wrote a Brady-by-the-numbers article....here's the link (paywalled):

Tom Brady by the numbers: Which records does he hold?

Two numbers stood out to me (excerpt pasted below):

That’s the number of teams who have thrown for fewer net passing yards in their franchise history (regular season and postseason combined) than Brady did in his 23 seasons. The Jaguars (founded in 1995), the Panthers (founded in 1995), the Ravens (founded in 1996) and the Texans (founded in 2002) have all seen fewer net passing yards from every quarterback that’s ever worn their jerseys than Brady produced.

With 212 career interceptions, Brady sits 22nd all time in the category, which is perhaps just as impressive as all the leaderboards he sits atop. For the man who owns nearly every longevity record — including passing attempts and completions — his interception ranking positions him far below some modern quarterbacks that played fewer years, such as Brees, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning and Favre.Brady’s 212 picks are just one more than Ben Roethlisberger’s career total, despite the fact that Roethlisberger was drafted four years later and retired one year earlier.

Never saw Russell play outside of grainy YouTube videos.

You have been blessed, Sir!
There are several Russell Celtic games on youtube and just by watching them it's painfully obvious he would do well in today's game.

His athleticism, speed, timing, leaping ability, court awareness and unselfishness is absurd.

I guarantee if you gave him a year or two to train like a 2022 athlete does he'd be a top 10 player.

I broke balcoball into hitting and pitching and Ted beats Ortiz easily.
I agree. Dont strawman. I am talking about Pedro VS Ortiz

There are several Russell Celtic games on youtube and just by watching them it's painfully obvious he would do well in today's game.

His athleticism, speed, timing, leaping ability, court awareness and unselfishness is absurd.

I guarantee if you gave him a year or two to train like a 2022 athlete does he'd be a top 10 player.
I doubt he'd win 11 in today's game.
But with what you're telling me and what's out there he would be a multi champion I believe in today's game

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back