PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady says he's done "for good"

There are several Russell Celtic games on youtube and just by watching them it's painfully obvious he would do well in today's game.

His athleticism, speed, timing, leaping ability, court awareness and unselfishness is absurd.

I guarantee if you gave him a year or two to train like a 2022 athlete does he'd be a top 10 player.

Also, do check out any of those old Blazer games with Walton when he was at the apex of his career ('76-'77ish). IMO, both men were similar in their court awareness/spacing...basically affecting the flow of the game.

No one would win 11 championships in todays anything that’s not really the point though.

Just FYI, a ton of people on ESPN and everywhere are downgrading Brady and the Patriots.

Been listening to talk radio the last day.

I learned that:

ONE, the Patriots filmed the Rams walkthrough before the 2001 SB [This was alleged by Tomase's friend but he didn't have the tapes he claimed he had; the Rams are on record as saying the only plays they went over during the walk through were red zone plays & the Rams scored a TD every time they were in the red zone so if the Patriots had tape, it didn't help them at all].

TWO, the deflated balls aided the Patriots in preventing them from fumbling because players could hold onto the ball easier [It was shown that the great +/- fumble differential relative to the rest of the NFL was created ENTIRELY on the road. I don't know the reason for this anomaly, but at home the Patriots were EVEN when it came to fumbles. On the road, the opposing team fumbled a lot more. of course, the opposing team controls the balls on the road, so those balls couldn't have been deflated].

THREE, Joe Montana, 4-0 Super Bowls blah blah blah [Yes, let's give credit to Montana for losing a lot in the 1st round of the playoffs].

FOUR, only reason Brady has more wins and top stats than Montana is because of longevity [If you look at first Brady's 15 years and match them against Montana's 15, Brady has 7 Super Bowl appearances and 5 wins, and he did it in the salary cap era where he wasn't throwing to Jerry Rice and the assortment of HOFers that SF kept together for a decade.]

FIVE, the best way to measure the quality of a player is not Super Bowl wins, but 1st team ALL-PROs. Brady made only 3 ALL-PRO teams, as many as Mike Alstott. Manning was 1st team in 7 of them!!!! [I'll address this below.]

There are 3 main arguments I make when it comes to gauging Brady relative to Manning or others based on All-Pro and season stats.

ONE, the ALL-PRO teams are voted on prior to the playoffs. Playoff performance is not taken into account. So you're ignoring playoff performance entirely if you're looking at that. I'd say Super Bowl MVPs are a good stand-in for ALL-PRO teams.

TWO, the voters don't seem very good at gauging the relative play of QBs. They go for gaudy stats. When Aaron Rodgers got the MVP in 2012 over Brady, they were looking at passer rating, TDs to INTs, and Rodgers had a great season. Brady meanwhile lead one of the most potent Patriot offenses ever, top 10 Offense in NFL history, and one secret inside his stats, they had 26 rushing TDs. Brady himself had 4 rushing TDs. And they did this WITHOUT a top running game or top running backs (it was Ridley's best year). The Packers and Aaron Rodgers? 7 rushing TDs the entire year. It boggles my mind that these stats are not taken into account. How much % of the offense is passing, total yards, running the ball in from the 1, the QB scoring, etc. All these stats should be accounted for.

THREE, Peyton Manning has a higher career passing rating than Brady. But Brady has a higher passer rating than Manning in games OUTDOORS and INDOORS in domes. A strange stat, but when you realize the differential for Brady is 10 points passer rating higher in domes, you understand that there is huge stat inflation for dome QBs. This stat alone tells me everything I need to know abut All-Pro teams and how they are measured.

The weird thing about the ALL-PRO argument and regular season stats is that it was being made by Buffalo talking heads. Guess what, Buffalo, your QB who plays in bad weather, your QB who runs the ball a lot, he's not going to get credit for what he does like, say, J. Herbert in Los Angeles. His passer rating will have 10 points shaved off just based on weather and running the ball. So you're making an argument AGAINST Josh Allen.

I doubt he'd win 11 in today's game.
But with what you're telling me and what's out there he would be a multi champion I believe in today's game
11 titles? No.

Just saying he was an elite athlete and an elite player w a hoops IQ off the charts.

11 titles? No.

Just saying he was an elite athlete and an elite player w a hoops IQ off the charts.
I find the Russell/Jordan debate fascinating. I get the era comparison and downgrading Russell for it but we are talking ELEVEN chips. Almost twice as Mike. He also schooled Wilt who was the most talented player of his era.

Brady just got divorced so he can continue to play football and he is quitting?
I can remember hearing there was cracks in the foundation back in 2015 when she wanted him to step away then due to concerns about concussions..

No one would win 11 championships in todays anything that’s not really the point though.
Statistically extremely tough as the major sports league have 32 teams more or less.

Back in those days, some of the sports like hockey and football had more than one professional sports league. And most of the leagues had half the teams they have now or less. For Brady to get 7 in superimpresive.

Also, do check out any of those old Blazer games with Walton when he was at the apex of his career ('76-'77ish). IMO, both men were similar in their court awareness/spacing...basically affecting the flow of the game.
A healthy Walton is a top 5 GOAT center.

He might be one now based on a single healthy year as a starter.

Last edited:
I find the Russell/Jordan debate fascinating. I get the era comparison and downgrading Russell for it but we are talking ELEVEN chips. Almost twice as Mike. He also schooled Wilt who was the most talented player of his era.
I try to avoid the comparison. They played in different eras. Really difficult to say who was better as the times were different.

Jordan dominated his. So did Russ.

What I do believe is if you take a 1963 Bill Russell and teleport him to 2022 and give him a year to train and get his body physically on par with today's players and practice in today's NBA game, he'd be a top 10 player.

Jordan would score 40 a game back then. He'd be Elgin Baylor and Oscar Robinson merged.

Greatness just finds a way to be great.

Last edited:
If this is it for real this time I might not watch football again. I used to spend all day Sunday watching games now I don't even care to catch any live action anymore. For the better part of my life I got to hang on and watch greatness, which really helped because my life outside of those moments was less than ideal. I knew this was coming down the pipe sooner rather than later but I really thought there would be one last hurrah seeing how things ended this year. My biggest regret is that in all these I never actually going to a game to see him or the team in action. I'm sad that it's over but extremely grateful for the journey.
Similar deal here, it wasn't in the cards for me to get to see him at a game, but I'm OK with that now. I will always be grateful for the cloud I was on for a whole week after LI. I realized afterward that it was the outward sign of some heavy internal processing; he, BB, and the rest of the gang helped get me closure on a personal narrative whose seeds were planted in the midst of a phobia- and bully-ridden childhood. I never really expected it to happen but it did, and in spades!!!! Thanks guys, and farewell Tommy!!!

how do we feel about this?

Probably not. None of them play defense.
James Franco Flirt GIF

Just FYI, a ton of people on ESPN and everywhere are downgrading Brady and the Patriots.
Why are you listening/watching that chit? Eff them. Worldwide leader in bullchit. Turn it off.

Been listening to talk radio the last day.

I learned that:

ONE, the Patriots filmed the Rams walkthrough before the 2001 SB [This was alleged by Tomase's friend but he didn't have the tapes he claimed he had; the Rams are on record as saying the only plays they went over during the walk through were red zone plays & the Rams scored a TD every time they were in the red zone so if the Patriots had tape, it didn't help them at all].

TWO, the deflated balls aided the Patriots in preventing them from fumbling because players could hold onto the ball easier [It was shown that the great +/- fumble differential relative to the rest of the NFL was created ENTIRELY on the road. I don't know the reason for this anomaly, but at home the Patriots were EVEN when it came to fumbles. On the road, the opposing team fumbled a lot more. of course, the opposing team controls the balls on the road, so those balls couldn't have been deflated].

THREE, Joe Montana, 4-0 Super Bowls blah blah blah [Yes, let's give credit to Montana for losing a lot in the 1st round of the playoffs].

FOUR, only reason Brady has more wins and top stats than Montana is because of longevity [If you look at first Brady's 15 years and match them against Montana's 15, Brady has 7 Super Bowl appearances and 5 wins, and he did it in the salary cap era where he wasn't throwing to Jerry Rice and the assortment of HOFers that SF kept together for a decade.]

FIVE, the best way to measure the quality of a player is not Super Bowl wins, but 1st team ALL-PROs. Brady made only 3 ALL-PRO teams, as many as Mike Alstott. Manning was 1st team in 7 of them!!!! [I'll address this below.]

There are 3 main arguments I make when it comes to gauging Brady relative to Manning or others based on All-Pro and season stats.

ONE, the ALL-PRO teams are voted on prior to the playoffs. Playoff performance is not taken into account. So you're ignoring playoff performance entirely if you're looking at that. I'd say Super Bowl MVPs are a good stand-in for ALL-PRO teams.

TWO, the voters don't seem very good at gauging the relative play of QBs. They go for gaudy stats. When Aaron Rodgers got the MVP in 2012 over Brady, they were looking at passer rating, TDs to INTs, and Rodgers had a great season. Brady meanwhile lead one of the most potent Patriot offenses ever, top 10 Offense in NFL history, and one secret inside his stats, they had 26 rushing TDs. Brady himself had 4 rushing TDs. And they did this WITHOUT a top running game or top running backs (it was Ridley's best year). The Packers and Aaron Rodgers? 7 rushing TDs the entire year. It boggles my mind that these stats are not taken into account. How much % of the offense is passing, total yards, running the ball in from the 1, the QB scoring, etc. All these stats should be accounted for.

THREE, Peyton Manning has a higher career passing rating than Brady. But Brady has a higher passer rating than Manning in games OUTDOORS and INDOORS in domes. A strange stat, but when you realize the differential for Brady is 10 points passer rating higher in domes, you understand that there is huge stat inflation for dome QBs. This stat alone tells me everything I need to know abut All-Pro teams and how they are measured.

The weird thing about the ALL-PRO argument and regular season stats is that it was being made by Buffalo talking heads. Guess what, Buffalo, your QB who plays in bad weather, your QB who runs the ball a lot, he's not going to get credit for what he does like, say, J. Herbert in Los Angeles. His passer rating will have 10 points shaved off just based on weather and running the ball. So you're making an argument AGAINST Josh Allen.
The thing that makes Brady the GOAT isn't something you can measure with stats. It's his refuse to loose attitude. Its his assassin drive. It's his unmatched preparation. It's his coolness under pressure even when the chances are dire. He was better with all of that than anyone and did it more times than anyone.

how do we feel about this?

I'd swap out ..
Develin for Pass
Sweet Feet for KFaulk but thats a toss up.
Brian Waters, Steven Neal or Shaq for Connolly
2018 Trent Brown for Light

The thing that makes Brady the GOAT isn't something you can measure with stats. It's his refuse to loose attitude. Its his assassin drive. It's his unmatched preparation. It's his coolness under pressure even when the chances are dire. He was better with all of that than anyone and did it more times than anyone.

Every competitive quality you list there is applicable to Bill Russell. Then there's the one you left off, they both made everyone around them so much better. That may well be the truest essence of both their DNA's

I'd swap out ..
Develin for Pass
Sweet Feet for KFaulk but thats a toss up.
Brian Waters, Steven Neal or Shaq for Connolly
2018 Trent Brown for Light

Neal 100%, 100% of the time.
Gotta disagree on Brown vs Light though

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes