PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady reaffirms plan to play beyond 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not so sure Brady will be here in 2020. Doesn’t his contract expire at the end of 2019? It’ll be interesting to see what he demands vs. what his quality of play is a year hence. And whether Belichick is allowed a free hand or if he’s ordered to re-sign Brady regardless.

If you were a Patriot fan that would be as stupid as stupid gets.
Yeah, I'm just a guy who had Pats season Tix for almost 20 years...big Bills fan, that's me

The fact that he MAY have a knee injury pretty much underscores the issues that a 41 year old is going to have playing in this league. At that age you're going to get injured easier. You're frail and you're bones are more brittle than 5 years ago. You're not going to want to hang in there against a rush. Everybody's hanging their hat on oh it's Tom Brady, he'll be fine rather than acknowledging that hey, that's a 41 year old guy in a young man's league. Find the replacement. I know a guy, Jordan Love aka "Heir Jordan" maybe can be had in the 2nd or 3rd round in 2020. Either that or Tank for Tua. Guy's the next Steve Young.
Hes 41 not 81, it's not like his bones turned to dust. I agree he more susceptible to injury at his age but also got injuries when he was much younger.

The fact that he MAY have a knee injury pretty much underscores the issues that a 41 year old is going to have playing in this league. At that age you're going to get injured easier. You're frail and you're bones are more brittle than 5 years ago. You're not going to want to hang in there against a rush. Everybody's hanging their hat on oh it's Tom Brady, he'll be fine rather than acknowledging that hey, that's a 41 year old guy in a young man's league. Find the replacement. I know a guy, Jordan Love aka "Heir Jordan" maybe can be had in the 2nd or 3rd round in 2020. Either that or Tank for Tua. Guy's the next Steve Young.

Your post doesn't really make any sense. People speculating on a Brady injury doesn't underscore the issues that a 41 year old is going to have playing in the NFL any more than people speculating in the past about Brady injuries underscored the issues that a much younger player is going to have playing in the NFL.

Just realized Herbert is staying at Oregon. That bodes well for the Pats in 2020 as that is going to be a more quality qb draft than this years draft. With fewer teams needing quarterbacks and Herbert and Tua available, that might open up opportunities for us to take a Fromm or an Eason (lol) or my preference Jordan Love.

The future is looking brighter for us today.
That’s one (positive) way of looking at it, although that likely means that we’d need Brady to play a minimum of two more years, as the 2020 rookie obviously wouldn’t be starting or playing much.

The biggest questions would be whether he + the team are both committed to making that happen, plus how well his play can hold up as he’d be approaching his 44th birthday that coming summer. These would be the reasons why I may be leery of kicking the can down the road another year into the 2020 draft.

Hes 41 not 81, it's not like his bones turned to dust. I agree he more susceptible to injury at his age but also got injuries when he was much younger.

There you go. And of course because of that he's going to be less willing to take a hit to make a play.

Your post doesn't really make any sense. People speculating on a Brady injury doesn't underscore the issues that a 41 year old is going to have playing in the NFL any more than people speculating in the past about Brady injuries underscored the issues that a much younger player is going to have playing in the NFL.

Point taken. However Brady's body is less powerful than what it was even 5 years ago. I don't know how much he's going to be able to take in terms of getting hit. He's as tough as they come and he'll play if he can walk but if it effects his performance it just doesn't bode well for the team.

You brought it up here in this thread, not me. I'll find your response and get back to you kid. I must have missed it.
Those faculties are already failing eh? I won’t hold my breath waiting for a response.

Just realized Herbert is staying at Oregon. That bodes well for the Pats in 2020 as that is going to be a more quality qb draft than this years draft. With fewer teams needing quarterbacks and Herbert and Tua available, that might open up opportunities for us to take a Fromm or an Eason (lol) or my preference Jordan Love.

The future is looking brighter for us today.

Herbert needs to stay at Oregon. The later games in the season showed that he still has a lot to work on with his game.

Yeah, I'm just a guy who had Pats season Tix for almost 20 years...big Bills fan, that's me

Sounds about right given everything you say in here. Any Patriot fan who wants them to get rid of Brady is a moron. Then again you wanted him gone during the 2014 season so that says everything we need to know.

Surely there's a talented speed-demon WR on the order of Cooks out there somewhere to be had in a trade or FA signing. Maybe we could even get one this time that has some size, like the guy we had for a while this year (not saying he was fast) that just made a career change. If they were also able to find an up-and-coming TE in trade/FA, or perhaps draft one in the second round (first round pick needs to be a DT), those two components coupled with an offseason of healing might make Brady look quite different next September.

Between UFA, RFA, and ERFA - there will be something like 80 WRs circulating in FA next March. There may be one or two among them, who's been underutilized by their current team as their #4/#5 WR - maybe going into their 3rd/4th/5th season. Someone who ight be useful to the Pats as their #3WR (#5/#6 overall target), like Hogan.

The two big things for me are:
1) Finding a guy who can, more or less, over Edelman's production in the middle of the field at intermediate or shorter distances. I think Matthews was signed to be a sort of "transition guy" for that role - at least partly, since he'd also played some outside WR, too.
2) Reviewing the entire roster of passing targets (TEs and RBs, as well as WRs) with regard to which of the nine target areas they've covered most often and well.

Sounds about right given everything you say in here. Any Patriot fan who wants them to get rid of Brady is a moron. Then again you wanted him gone during the 2014 season so that says everything we need to know.

Wow didn’t know that. Along with everything else FCB wanted to get rid of our QB who went on to win two more Super Bowls, engineer the greatest comeback of all time, and cement his legacy as GOAT. Bad miss on that one huh.

Wow didn’t know that. Along with everything else FCB wanted to get rid of our QB who went on to win two more Super Bowls, engineer the greatest comeback of all time, and cement his legacy as GOAT. Bad miss on that one huh.

A significant number of Patriot fans, including on this board, wanted them to trade Brady and keep Garrapolo after the KC game in 2014, and after the Chancellor hit in 2016 they made the exact same arguments after the ensuing Jets and Rams games, even though they actually won them, Brady was impaired and they claimed it was age, same arguments, same denials from Brady, and once he was right all was well again.

I think there’s plenty of room for discussion on everything going on and going forward for this team, but I simply don’t buy the “ cliff” bullsh.t, which is what this crap is imo. In short, I don’t believe Brady’s skills have diminished, I think hes hurt. And I won’t be the least bit surprised if he runs the table.

Are we going to get Brady some wide receivers worth a hoot to throw to? Right now if an opponent double Edelman, we are so screwed.

Are we going to get Brady some wide receivers worth a hoot to throw to? Right now if an opponent double Edelman, we are so screwed.
Get them for next year ?

Then BB the GM will be failing him and the rest of the offense for another year. Given how they've handled the WR position in the past, I expect them to focus on the FA route/trades first.

Some years Belichick has been a genius GM and coach. But there is no doubt in my mind that his decisions (starting in the hours before the Super Bowl, to getting rid of Cooks and Amendola without adequately replacing them) have been THE major causes of our doom/gloom-y season. Yes, Gronk has lost a step, and Edelman is experiencing some unusual dropsies coming off an ACL, but this team has lost so many weapons that it had when it beat Atlanta. The WR position definitely needs help--especially as Gronk/Julian's days are numbered here as well.

By the way--those of you watching QB play across the league, I'm sure the performances of young guys like Mahomes are making your mouths water. BUT, remember, people were singing the praises of Matt Ryan, Mariota, Wentz, Carr in Oakland, Rodgers, Stafford, just in the last couple of years, and now these guys have fallen off. Even Jameis Winston was being hyped. Heck, people are slagging Goff lately. Consistency is hard to come by it seems. Case Keenum and Kevin Cousins just signed big contracts for heaven's sake. Dak Prescott is a shell of his rookie self. All around the league you see flavors of the month falling on hard times, while only Brady, Russell Wilson, Brees, Rivers and Ben R. (to a degree) have had any consistency. Rodgers should be in this class too but he is turning into an enigma. Point is, I've just mentioned a bunch of QBs considered stellar at one point in the last 3 years, but now most of them are questions. Heck, Eli Manning and Flacco have gone the way of the dodo bird.

Some years Belichick has been a genius GM and coach. But there is no doubt in my mind that his decisions (starting in the hours before the Super Bowl, to getting rid of Cooks and Amendola without adequately replacing them) have been THE major causes of our doom/gloom-y season. Yes, Gronk has lost a step, and Edelman is experiencing some unusual dropsies coming off an ACL, but this team has lost so many weapons that it had when it beat Atlanta. The WR position definitely needs help--especially as Gronk/Julian's days are numbered here as well.

By the way--those of you watching QB play across the league, I'm sure the performances of young guys like Mahomes are making your mouths water. BUT, remember, people were singing the praises of Matt Ryan, Mariota, Wentz, Carr in Oakland, Rodgers, Stafford, just in the last couple of years, and now these guys have fallen off. Even Jameis Winston was being hyped. Heck, people are slagging Goff lately. Consistency is hard to come by it seems. Case Keenum and Kevin Cousins just signed big contracts for heaven's sake. Dak Prescott is a shell of his rookie self. All around the league you see flavors of the month falling on hard times, while only Brady, Russell Wilson, Brees, Rivers and Ben R. (to a degree) have had any consistency. Rodgers should be in this class too but he is turning into an enigma. Point is, I've just mentioned a bunch of QBs considered stellar at one point in the last 3 years, but now most of them are questions. Heck, Eli Manning and Flacco have gone the way of the dodo bird.

Ryan's having a tremendous season and has far outplayed Brady this year, so his inclusion is a bit odd. Rodgers' struggles are overhyped, just like Brady's, because of the heights he was at previously and similarly are partly the reault of injury.

That said, we've grown so accustomed to historically good quarterback play over the last decade-plus that merely top-10 QB play strikes us as terrible. You're right that finding a Mahomes is rare. You're more likely to end up in QB mediocrity death spiral when you start fishing for QBs. Even if Brady's never again going to be MVP, there's no reason to rush him out while he's still a top-10 QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes