PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady reaffirms plan to play beyond 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I think if it was clear that Brady has declined, I'd say go ahead and jettison him and start planning for the future. I don't think that's anywhere near clear right now. But then again, as you know, I've "quit on the team."

Since you stated that "the season is over" you shouldn't use quotes there.

It's good to see that you're back on the bandwagon though. I even read somewhere that you're sort of giving them a chance now, you know, if they have their A game.

Since you stated that "the season is over" you shouldn't use quotes there.

It's good to see that you're back on the bandwagon though. I even read somewhere that you're sort of giving them a chance now, you know, if they have their A game.
I responded to you in the other thread. Maybe you should quit being a little ***** and actually, you know, respond there? Or I could ask you here - the 1992-1993 Pats... you were on the Super Bowl bandwagon preseason or nah? If not, and I would wager that’s the case, do you think you “quit on the team?”

Brady has made it clear that he wants to play AS LONG AS HE CAN PLAY AT A HIGH LEVEL.
Period. Everything I know about the guy tells me he won't try to hang on with diminished skills.
Right now, he's dealing with a knee injury,the severity of which none of us know. That's not the same as diminished skills. It's obviously affecting his play. Never seen him throw so much off his back foot. He's also getting rid of the ball quicker than I can ever remember. Too quick. All that screams to me of a player protecting an injury.
Where some of you here piss me off though is when you start speculating on his toughness. Are you freakin kidding me?
He's as tough as he's always been. Which is one of the toughest guys in the NFL.
Maybe he shouldn't even be playing. But he and the team know that him at 75% gives them the best shot at going anywhere this year.
You don't go from being one of the toughest QBs in the NFL over a career, overnight turning into Tony Eason. Doesn't happen.

Yea the 70s were just a little before I could claim I was a fan. I started following with emotion and knowing the players during the 80 season when I started Pop Warner.

You would have really enjoyed the 76 team. They were the best in the league.

The biggest difference of all from the 70's is the crowd at the stadium. One of my worst experiences occurred there with my wife and two female cousins, who had moved to Louisiana when they were kids. I can still hear my cousin's voice as we were walking out and she spoke in that southern twang, "cousin, this is why we will never move back here." And they haven't.

Let him play somewhere else....provided Bill the GM can get another qb...I'll still take the 2018 mediocre in just about every category Brady over most of the flotsam and jetsam out there, but my God, the chinks in Brady's armor have been showing last few games..
If FCB says it, it means Brady is going to have a lights out Divisional playoff game and possibly more.

I love Tom, I want to watch him play longer and probably at a level that the rest of you frontrunning pieces of **** would be howling in outrage about, but that's because I'm a loyal guy.

That being said, Tom really needs to stop playing if ducking out of contact is going to be his new approach to maximizing career longevity.

I was embarrassed by 3 or 4 of the duck out throws he made last week and that is not how I want to see my hero end his career. Sure his arm can get ragged, his pocket elusiveness can deteriorate but if he's losing his guts we're ****ed.

I don't remember him throwing that way earlier in the season. He was never a chuck and duck QB before and I don't know why he'd start now other than because of an injury.

Then BB the GM will be failing him and the rest of the offense for another year. Given how they've handled the WR position in the past, I expect them to focus on the FA route/trades first.
When was the last time Bill actually landed a real, lasting quality WR in the draft? Deion Branch in 2002. 16 years ago.

The Pats have been downright atrocious in drafting receivers and have given no reason to believe that will change. You are right, FA pickups or trade all the way.

Take a stab at a WR in the draft if we must but not second round high. We've flopped on enough of those.

I believe Brady is hurt, for sure. Otherwise he had a rather sudden and dramatic drop off in the past few weeks. Earlier in the season I attributed the weaker passing game to lack of weapons and serious drop off from Gronk and a less than excellent Julian Edelman.

He looks very different the past two weeks and I would certainly hope it is an injury.

I responded to you in the other thread. Maybe you should quit being a little ***** and actually, you know, respond there? Or I could ask you here - the 1992-1993 Pats... you were on the Super Bowl bandwagon preseason or nah? If not, and I would wager that’s the case, do you think you “quit on the team?”

You brought it up here in this thread, not me. I'll find your response and get back to you kid. I must have missed it.

Anyone should be cool with this so long as it’s not too bad

It's difficult to define not too bad. For me personally, I'll stick with him as long as he stays. I believe that he's the main reason for our team's success.

If FCB says it, it means Brady is going to have a lights out Divisional playoff game and possibly more.
Hope Chad can turn back the clock a year...

I can envision a trade for Derek Carr next year if he would willingly
be TB's understudy for a year or 2. Won't happen, but.........
Are he and JG on the same page, a little friction maybe?

When was the last time Bill actually landed a real, lasting quality WR in the draft? Deion Branch in 2002. 16 years ago.

The Pats have been downright atrocious in drafting receivers and have given no reason to believe that will change. You are right, FA pickups or trade all the way.

Take a stab at a WR in the draft if we must but not second round high. We've flopped on enough of those.

I believe Brady is hurt, for sure. Otherwise he had a rather sudden and dramatic drop off in the past few weeks. Earlier in the season I attributed the weaker passing game to lack of weapons and serious drop off from Gronk and a less than excellent Julian Edelman.

He looks very different the past two weeks and I would certainly hope it is an injury.
Edelman was drafted in the 7th round in 2009. Real. Quality. Lasting

I think we have to aim for a WR in the draft because the upcoming WR free agents are not exactly good.

Top Free Agents:

Larry Fitzgerald (turning 36 this summer), Golden Tate (wrong side of 30), Cole Beasley (Edelman clone, also 30), Randall Cobb, Dez Bryant (injured), Adam Humphries, Robby Anderson, Tyrell Williams, John Brown, and our own players (Hogan/Dorsett/Patterson).

I think we need to retain one of Hogan/Dorsett and definitely bring back Patterson. Then maybe we look at Fitz to see if he will take a cheaper deal to come here or retire in Arizona. Even if we suck at drafting WR I think we still need to draft one and hope it works out.

I think we have to aim for a WR in the draft because the upcoming WR free agents are not exactly good.

Top Free Agents:

Larry Fitzgerald (turning 36 this summer), Golden Tate (wrong side of 30), Cole Beasley (Edelman clone, also 30), Randall Cobb, Dez Bryant (injured), Adam Humphries, Robby Anderson, Tyrell Williams, John Brown, and our own players (Hogan/Dorsett/Patterson).

I think we need to retain one of Hogan/Dorsett and definitely bring back Patterson. Then maybe we look at Fitz to see if he will take a cheaper deal to come here or retire in Arizona. Even if we suck at drafting WR I think we still need to draft one and hope it works out.

Not to argue with your main point at all, but just to add the obvious free agent tidbit:

There will likely be some decent, or better, receivers who hit the market due to cuts.

Surely there's a talented speed-demon WR on the order of Cooks out there somewhere to be had in a trade or FA signing. Maybe we could even get one this time that has some size, like the guy we had for a while this year (not saying he was fast) that just made a career change. If they were also able to find an up-and-coming TE in trade/FA, or perhaps draft one in the second round (first round pick needs to be a DT), those two components coupled with an offseason of healing might make Brady look quite different next September.

Let him play somewhere else....provided Bill the GM can get another qb...I'll still take the 2018 mediocre in just about every category Brady over most of the flotsam and jetsam out there, but my God, the chinks in Brady's armor have been showing last few games..

If you were a Patriot fan that would be as stupid as stupid gets.

He'll be here thru 2020 for sure. His skills/ throwing have not declined. Still has rocket arm.
Obviously has a knee issue and he's trying to protect it ( which he should, otherwise team has no shot of winning in playoffs). It wouldn't be as obvious if we didn't have so many questions with all his wrs and Gronk. Brady's always been tough as nails,hanging in and taking hits while delivering strikes. But my suspicion is that he and the coaches know a big hit might knock him out of playoffs. I don't know if this is something that improves with rest- I sure hope so.
Maybe the bye helps him and Gronk,maybe not. But regardless, we know he'll be back next year. It'll be one year deals after that. I'd guess he's here and playing high-level thru 2020. After that,who knows? I'd bet my right arm he retires after only wearing a Patriot uni.

The fact that he MAY have a knee injury pretty much underscores the issues that a 41 year old is going to have playing in this league. At that age you're going to get injured easier. You're frail and you're bones are more brittle than 5 years ago. You're not going to want to hang in there against a rush. Everybody's hanging their hat on oh it's Tom Brady, he'll be fine rather than acknowledging that hey, that's a 41 year old guy in a young man's league. Find the replacement. I know a guy, Jordan Love aka "Heir Jordan" maybe can be had in the 2nd or 3rd round in 2020. Either that or Tank for Tua. Guy's the next Steve Young.

Just realized Herbert is staying at Oregon. That bodes well for the Pats in 2020 as that is going to be a more quality qb draft than this years draft. With fewer teams needing quarterbacks and Herbert and Tua available, that might open up opportunities for us to take a Fromm or an Eason (lol) or my preference Jordan Love.

The future is looking brighter for us today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes