PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady reaffirms plan to play beyond 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let him play somewhere else....provided Bill the GM can get another qb...I'll still take the 2018 mediocre in just about every category Brady over most of the flotsam and jetsam out there, but my God, the chinks in Brady's armor have been showing last few games..

I have said it all along and I am not changing my tune, he's here thru 2019. The next guy is on the 2020 free agent list. No way they make a kid right out of college fill the GOATs shoes.

I suspect they will go the FA/trade/draft route (in that order) when they overhaul the WR and TE positions in the offseason, then. I can't see them spending the last couple of years of Brady's career having him break in nothing but draft picks.

Our #1 picks are OL, and the line is playing great without him, and RB who looks like a winner to me. With protection and a running game he can continue to be one of the best quarterbacks in football [which he is statistically] Picking at the top, every qb is a gamble. Where we pick, a lottery ticket.

Of course if we do draw a high pick, it means that Brady wuld retire, because I don't see him hanging on if we become the Cleveland Browns [my apologies, they weren't that bad this year].

I hope he retires a Patriot. I grew up with Johnny Unitas, and couldn't stand seeing him in a different uniform. Like so many all time greats, they shouldn't move on. Larry Bird a 76er? Bobby Orr a Blackhawk? Yaz a Twin? Mantle an Indian. There are just some players that transcend the game and are forever should only be associated with 1 team.

As he said himself, he will retire when he feels he is not good anymore. He hasn't been as good as we (an probably himself) expect him to be this season. Whether that is a function of declining abilities on his part on on the part of his receivers is debatable. I think he will evaluate that next season and make a decision.

I don't know what to think about Brady playing longer than next season. I haven't liked his play this season. The thing that bothers me the most about his position is we don't have a young backup. I don't like having Hoyer as the backup. I have zero confidence in him if Brady goes down.

I would have to say I feel the most uncomfortable with the present QB situation, Brady and Hoyer. I would have been more comfortable with Brady and JG or Brady and Brissett.

Just my opinion

I too wish we might have hung unto Brissett... as Brady ages, and the team is more built around running the ball, it would make the transition easier to a QB like Jacoby.

That said, I want Brady retiring as a Patriot.

I too wish we might have hung unto Brissett... as Brady ages, and the team is more built around running the ball, it would make the transition easier to a QB like Jacoby.

That said, I want Brady retiring as a Patriot.
The player to hang on to was Jimmy- not Brisket.

Let him play somewhere else....provided Bill the GM can get another qb...I'll still take the 2018 mediocre in just about every category Brady over most of the flotsam and jetsam out there, but my God, the chinks in Brady's armor have been showing last few games..
You really should find a different hobby and give up on football. You are just awful at it.

As a pure Jaguar fan, Brady has broken my heart a time too many (the AFC Championship loss was probably my hardest game to watch ever. I can’t even go back and rewatch highlights).

But as a football fan and appreciative of the game overall, I respect the crap out of Brady and wish him good health. He’s good for the league too, and I’m glad he’s sticking around for the foreseeable future. I honestly cant imagine how weird it will be once he retires. I grew up in a league with both Manning and Brady in their prime and it’s weird enough that Manning isn’t out there. But eventually Brady? Uncanny. Hopefully he hangs it up before he actually hits the wall though. I’d hate to see him limp out so to speak on a bad final season, like Manning (defense won him that ring), Favre, etc.

He'll be here thru 2020 for sure. His skills/ throwing have not declined. Still has rocket arm.
Obviously has a knee issue and he's trying to protect it ( which he should, otherwise team has no shot of winning in playoffs). It wouldn't be as obvious if we didn't have so many questions with all his wrs and Gronk. Brady's always been tough as nails,hanging in and taking hits while delivering strikes. But my suspicion is that he and the coaches know a big hit might knock him out of playoffs. I don't know if this is something that improves with rest- I sure hope so.
Maybe the bye helps him and Gronk,maybe not. But regardless, we know he'll be back next year. It'll be one year deals after that. I'd guess he's here and playing high-level thru 2020. After that,who knows? I'd bet my right arm he retires after only wearing a Patriot uni.

He'll do it and like it.

If he doesn't like it he can enjoy the final years of his career somewhere else.

Then BB the GM will be failing him and the rest of the offense for another year. Given how they've handled the WR position in the past, I expect them to focus on the FA route/trades first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back