PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tired of the mac jones hate...

I mean, what's the better option? Garoppolo is in Vegas and cost them a fortune by comparison. If you only had Zappe, you draft another guy and you still need a veteran.

The smart play is to play out the year and see if he's closer to the guy we saw in 2021 but for 17 games. Then you make a decision. All the people who want him gone or think he sucks can't seem to tell you what to do beyond "put in Zappe." It's incredibly frustrating. I'm good with people not liking him. But at least tell me what the alternative is so we can have a discussion.

Boston is known for it's toughness.
Mac has also taken some vicious shots and has yet to stay down (that one against Dallas his rookie year is a good example) along with some others. People like to show the photo of when he clearly thought he had broken his ankle, but it's not like he hasn't taken some big hits and not gotten back up. He's been a pretty tough kid.

Mac has also has two games lost where he drove them down the field at the end but the game was lost with a fumble near the end zone.

Again, hate him all you want. But until someone better comes along, he's what we've got.

Don't forget the Cowboys game where Jones got the Pats up by 3 with like two minutes left in the game and the defense gave up 24 yards on a 3rd and 25 with the Cowboys on their own 45 with only 20 seconds left in the game allowing them to kick a field goal.

And against Tampa, he did get the Pats in field goal range down 19-17 with a minute left and Folk missed the field goal. It was a long, but makeable range field goal.

I guess he's incapable of running a game winning drive then.
I'm just reporting the facts.

QBR? You use a fake ESPN stat? God, so ****ing transparent...
Honestly I don't love the stat but it's real and some people think it's legit. I can pull up a dozen or so other stats, perhaps more to your liking, and they all tell us the same thing... Mac wasn't good in 2022.

Again, hate him all you want. But until someone better comes along, he's what we've got.
It's not hatred. From what I've seen, he doesn't look good enough for the team to be competitive in the currently stacked AFC.

The team either needs a better quarterback or they needs to build a very strong supporting cast around Mac. I'm fine with the latter, especially because I feel like I have to be (i.e. the team isn't moving on from him), but we're not off to a very good start this offseason.

But at least tell me what the alternative is so we can have a discussion.
Hung onto to Brady for dear life.
Drafted Lamar (twice).
Trade for Lamar now.
Trade for Rodgers (I hate him but BB's in love with him).
Brought Carr in for a visit.
Open competition in camp between Mac and Zappe (at least).

Boston is known for it's toughness. We go from Bledsoe who played through a broken finger willing his team to wins in 1998, was dying yet still wanted to play in 2001 and Tom Brady to Mac has been seen crying two years in a row. He dances around the field while the team carries him and has been called a pansy or something like that by a former NFL QB. He was then booed off the field against the Bears very early in the MNF game.

Mac fans are in the minority.

Cmon, Jones is pretty tough. You forget he was back practicing that week with a high ankle sprain. He got injured pretty bad in week 1 that where he had trouble walking after the game because he tweaked his back pretty bad.

What a ridiculous post.
Did you miss the game he got booed off the field against the Bears? The local media doesn't seem to care for him either.

You think they like him crying two years in a row and dancing around the field like he's carving teams up?

Did you miss the game he got booed off the field against the Bears? The local media doesn't seem to care for him either.

I'm booing YOU off this thread.

Cmon, Jones is pretty tough. You forget he was back practicing that week with a high ankle sprain. He got injured pretty bad in week 1 that where he had trouble walking after the game because he tweaked his back pretty bad.

Compared to Bledsoe and Brady, he's a wuss.

I'm just reporting the facts.

Honestly I don't love the stat but it's real and some people think it's legit. I can pull up a dozen or so other stats, perhaps more to your liking, and they all tell us the same thing... Mac wasn't good in 2022.

It's not hatred. From what I've seen, he doesn't look good enough for the team to be competitive in the currently stacked AFC.

The team either needs a better quarterback or they needs to build a very strong supporting cast around Mac. I'm fine with the latter, especially because I feel like I have to be (i.e. the team isn't moving on from him), but we're not off to a very good start this offseason.

Hung onto to Brady for dear life.
We agree - but it would have only bought three years and we'd be in the same boat.
Drafted Lamar (twice).
Had they drafted Lamar - they'd be in the same boat as the Ravens.
Trade for Lamar now.
See above
Trade for Rodgers (I hate him but BB's in love with him).
He's done with the NFL and clearly toying with the Jets. Rodgers isn't the same guy as three years ago, and he doesn't seem to have the same love out there as he used to. He may not be physically done, but he certainly seems like he is mentally.
Brought Carr in for a visit.
Carr is not that much better than Mac - not at this point. Certainly not at that price tag. And he's smart to have picked a dome team. He's not a cold-weather guy.
Open competition in camp between Mac and Zappe (at least).
Don't try and be coy - you're basically saying start Zappe over Mac. Albeit, if Mac looks terrible in camp and Zappe is slinging it, Belichick wouldn't be afraid to make the change if that's what it came down to.

So we're back to square one. No real good alternative.

Just accept the fact that, like the rest of us, you'll find out after this year about whether or not it's Mac or Zappe (or someone else). But aside from that, "it is what it is."

Last edited:
The local media doesn't seem to care for him either.
The local media loves to hate on Bill and Mac is a vehicle to do that.

They can run him out of town all they want. Doesn't change the fact we still need someone competent lining up on Sundays. Again, Bill will keep drafting guys and putting pressure on whoever is back there, and if someone better emerges, great. Until then, we have to hope he can get the job done and win games.

Lots of recency bias goes on in the offseason. Mac is the #1 QB on the Patriots this season. Deal with it.
It's like the same people with Bill. I get it, but you still need another competent head coach and front office. It's not like there are a ton of Sean McVays or similar-type guys people are clamoring for out there. Everybody is quick to say "get rid of this guy" without wanting to discuss about how they'd fix it and it makes for a difficult discussion.

As I've said - and in case people haven't noticed - the moderation has remained pretty light. I've made sure people can have their opinions. Just offer up more than "he sucks" or "fire him" so we have something tangible to talk about and we're good ;)

This forum used to say pro bowlers like Andrew Luck and Big Ben sucked now they same people are trying to convince themselves Mac Jones isn't a complete JAG.

Mac Jones is Alex Smith, doesn't matter if you put him as the QB of the greatest show on turf you're still getting turfed out Divisional Round.

Not saying he sucks but you aren't winning big in the modern NFL with a quarterback like Mac Jones, most of this board will be completely out on Mac Jones by the winter cause this is trending towards another big disaster of a season with what the Division is looking like.

This forum used to say pro bowlers like Andrew Luck and Big Ben sucked now they same people are trying to convince themselves Mac Jones isn't a complete JAG.

Mac Jones is Alex Smith, doesn't matter if you put him as the QB of the greatest show on turf you're still getting turfed out Divisional Round.
When you have Brady as a comparison, it's a different story. They don't have a guy like that right now, and it's honestly more of a lowering our expectations-thing than anything else until they find someone.

This is what happens to teams that lose once in a generation players. You have to try and get the most out of who you have - especially on a rookie contract - until something better comes along.

Not saying he sucks but you aren't winning big in the modern NFL with a quarterback like Mac Jones, most of this board will be completely out on Mac Jones by the winter cause this is trending towards another big disaster of a season with what the Division is looking like.
Alex Smith had more mobility.

But your point stands.

Alex Smith had more mobility.

But your point stands.
The updated part of his post is definitely accurate. All I've learned is that with Brady gone, no one is ever going to be good enough after 20 years of greatness. Again, "It is what it is." I don't envy whoever they have back there over the next decade, it's going to be a tough run.

you aren't winning big in the modern NFL with a quarterback like Mac Jones,

Nobody knows enough about what Mac Jones is capable of to make that declaration, including yourself. To this point it's all guessing.

most of this board will be completely out on Mac Jones by the winter cause this is trending towards another big disaster of a season with what the Division is looking like.

This is the kind of negative forecasting that people with limited insight entertain to convince themselves and others they have a "bead on things." But at least you're talking yourself into skipping this upcoming season, which should lighten the mood around here.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back